U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times

Advertisements

usually it is not by choice but rather bad choices and poor decisions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,722,097 times
Default What I have gained from his forum.

A courteous and intelligent place to discuss life issues.
Variety of viewpoints and tolarance/ support for all of them.
I have particularly gained from hearing from women who are now single in retirement- their concerns, strength, joy, experiences.
The variety of way we deal with relationships be it with siblings, spouses, friend, children.
Your hobbies, interests, concerns.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,583 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

This particular sub forum is almost an anomaly. The posters are almost always courteous, have good insight and have been very helpful on many levels. In fact, I would like to issue a public 'Thank You and a Happy New Year!' to all the unwitting volunteers to our mental health- and financial planning.

Best to all on this forum; hope the community can help guide you to safe waters-
True, very few flamers here, quite a variety of lifestyles, values, desires, finance, but his forum seems to keep it together and OT without divisiveness / ultimate winners. Everyone is on the journey.

2016 showed more skeptics than I would expect, but it was a skeptical yr on the media. I am glad I was able to be out of USA for most of it. Citizens of other countries are far more concerned with the USA, than the average person here in 'the states'.

Adventure lurks everywhere, and retirement planning could take on many new priorities.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Off topic a bit but I wonder how many homeless that live on the streets are there by choice or circumstances.

Lots and lots of people become homeless on a temporary basis due to financial reasons, often medical bills, or due to loss of a job, divorce, or fleeing abusive situations.

The chronic homeless are the ones you are more likely to see living on the street. A surprising number of the chronic homeless are young people, often from financially stable households, who have decided to drop out. They tend to congregate in areas with other young people who are doing the same. The biggest number I have seen is in Portland, Oregon. Most of those who are chronically homeless, are not young kids, they are people with alcohol/drug dependency and/or mental illness. We don't seem to understand how to deal with either group. Substance dependency is often considered to be a choice, not an illness. Either way treatments are not very effective. We have largely abandoned those with mental illnesses. At once time there were large facilities such as mental health hospitals. Most have been closed and the patients are out on the street with very limited access to any sort of help.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Thanks for linking to this. I just re-read the first seven pages of it. Those who have been saying that everyone is so nice here should do the same if they wish to see a counterpoint. What they will see evidence of is name-calling as a substitute for logical, reasoned argument.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM

13,228 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I have wondered the same thing. Perhaps they are not as well off as they say and are trying to make money on this forum with frequent posts. I see some are $500 and $5000 winners.

Then again, they might just be helpful, bored or the park benches are already full of people feeding the pigeons.
Just wow.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I appreciate a lot on this forum, most already said. But I am curious about something. I fully understand why so many pre retirement people like myself are on here as well as those struggling with retirement, either financially, emotionally or physically are regulars on here with many posts. But what I don't understand is why there are so many busy, worry free, successful retirees still are on so often? I have read some old threads where once retired, you basically never see that person on again, which is what I would expect. While not exactly obsessed with retirement, it is a near goal that I very much think about and look forward to, so I check in regularly to se if there is something else to really learn. Once I get there, though I would expect my participation to drop by 9/10s or more.

I never actually sit down at a computer and decide to visit here. I am 95% here on my phone (explains a lot of typos) during a break or lunch or maybe waiting for whatever, so I make use if the time here. Maybe a lot more people want to contribute to the knowledge base than I would expect?

This mystifies me too, while appreciating the wealth of advice here. If I was as busy and successful as some here seem to be, I doubt I'd be on here much. I don't have the level of activity I want right now and admit to being bored so here I am. If I was living the life I want, I probably wouldn't have the motivation to prowl these forums. But it IS fun to hear everyone's stories.

What I have learned is that I would never be financially ready for retirement no matter what, according to the advice here. Can't go back in time for a do-over. I could obsess over LTC or medical disasters, but that's just counter-productive. So we just did what we could with our limited resources for retirement and here we are. I love it but am bored until I get some activities going....

Old 01-02-2017, 11:00 AM

890 posts, read 677,224 times
May I reply to the last two posts?

There are some, and I'm one, who have discovered, enjoy and participate in internet discussion forums. I've done so for many years with most of my time being on fitness forums. That's not to say I've not or am not living a fulfilling life but rather just an example of one of many engaged activities I participate in the fulfilling life I'm living.

You'd have to be a life-fulfilled internet discussion forum junkie or blogger to understand my point.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I appreciate a lot on this forum, most already said. But I am curious about something. I fully understand why so many pre retirement people like myself are on here as well as those struggling with retirement, either financially, emotionally or physically are regulars on here with many posts. But what I don't understand is why there are so many busy, worry free, successful retirees still are on so often? I have read some old threads where once retired, you basically never see that person on again, which is what I would expect. While not exactly obsessed with retirement, it is a near goal that I very much think about and look forward to, so I check in regularly to se if there is something else to really learn. Once I get there, though I would expect my participation to drop by 9/10s or more.

I never actually sit down at a computer and decide to visit here. I am 95% here on my phone (explains a lot of typos) during a break or lunch or maybe waiting for whatever, so I make use if the time here. Maybe a lot more people want to contribute to the knowledge base than I would expect?
I'm here and at other forums where people retire really early because their net worth were very high. And also boggle heads forum. I'm mostly on the economics and politics sub forums. But I'm reading here for purely entertainment and also to make sure I counter some posts bashing GOP this and Republican that. In case you are wondering, I'm having coffee at a Wholefoods while waiting for my car to have new tires. Hardly not living my retirement life and just be on the Internet. More like taking advantage of the free wifi.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-02-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
May I reply to the last two posts?

There are some, and I'm one, who have discovered, enjoy and participate in internet discussion forums. I've done so for many years with most of my time being on fitness forums. That's not to say I've not or am not living a fulfilling life but rather just an example of one of many engaged activities I participate in the fulfilling life I'm living.

You'd have to be a life-fulfilled internet discussion forum junkie or blogger to understand my point.
Same here, I've been reading and posting on Internet forums since the early 1990s. I think these comments are meant to be digging at some posters. A form of nastiness, may I say. There are all different kinds of people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or