U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,699,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
In 2016 I've learned questions I should be asking.

I've learned that I really don't have to retire if I don't want to.

I've learned that other people are in the same situation as I am in.

I've learned that there are other viewpoints that are just as valid.

I've learned that retirement is not something to dread.

I've learned about places I can find answers.

I am very thankful for everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions and provide comment.
Could have written this, thanks and to all the other posters. I enjoy the stories, the questions, the various answers, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,332,618 times
Today I remembered something else I have learned on the retirement forum: Start downsizing NOW, while my husband and I are relatively young. Thanks to people sharing their stories about trying downsize in their 70s or 80s, or having to clear out parents' homes filled with "stuff" (BTDT and did NOT take the T-shirt home), the point was really driven home to me. So my husband and I are working on downsizing a little bit at a time, rather than wait until we make the big retirement move decision. Thank you, fellow posters!

Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,350,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There was a long many pages topic here and I read every post. I don't remember the title but the topic was do retired age women or widowers want to remarry.
This was of great interest to me as I would like a girlfriend and maybe marry. Something I hadn't thought of and was disappointed to learn was.
The great majority of women have their own money, they don't need yours, they dont want to cook, clean up after a man anymore or take care of a sick old man. They don't need a man for anything and like their independence.
I stand little chance.
Ahhh, but if you were one of the rare men in this age group who WOULD do some of the cooking, who WOULD do some of the cleaning, who WOULD take on some of the previously traditional female roles, who WOULD be willing to take care of a sick old woman, you would find quite a few who might be interested in you. Then again, you could look for a woman who didn't or couldn't save for retirement who needs you for your money. Either way, the numbers are on your side... many more women than men in our age group.

Back to topic: The reason I keep coming back here after retirement is because it's not just financial planning advice that I am looking for. It is for a connection to others who are living a similar life to mine (i.e., retired baby boomer). I also appreciate the high level of intelligence and thoughtfulness in this group.

Last edited by ansible90; 01-02-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Today I remembered something else I have learned on the retirement forum: Start downsizing NOW, while my husband and I are relatively young. Thanks to people sharing their stories about trying downsize in their 70s or 80s, or having to clear out parents' homes filled with "stuff" (BTDT and did NOT take the T-shirt home), the point was really driven home to me. So my husband and I are working on downsizing a little bit at a time, rather than wait until we make the big retirement move decision. Thank you, fellow posters!
That is number one for me! I don't want to be carting around a bunch of stuff. Why keep things that you do not use - clothes for example. I'm talking about run of the mill mall store clothing. And shoes too.

I have a relative that told me they cannot get rid of any mail that comes into their home until they have read it. Who the heck has time to read junk mail. I know that there is more to it than that - some issues there. Always trying to give us things that they can't just get rid of. No, for the 1000th time we do not want your watches that don't work. Just let it go!!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 AM

23,603 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I started looking at the various state forums back in 2005 when I was contemplating a retirement move and found the forums to be a fascinating mix of opinions and solid data that helped me make decisions about where to land when retired. Since then I've found the other forums to be equally fascinating although a tad bit uncivil at times.

All in all, I'd say the time spent online can be a real aid in one's attempts to remain mentally sharp, and, continuing our writing skills is a good way to take stock of your own cognitive abilities. I've participated on other forums, but CD has some very well adjusted posters when compared to other barroom brawls I've seen on the web.

A big thank you to all those who have managed to be here for years without feeling the need to dominate the conversation or attempt to take personal ownership of the forum. Web forums are a great way to read the accounts of others lives, often, a very refreshingly rare, candid view. And in that process we can learn a lot from others, and hopefully our own contribution may have given someone a different perspective or at the least given some pause for consideration.

2016 has been a real meat grinder on the political front, and, politics has become a subject few want to talk about in our daily lives. At the least we can comment here and then leave it here, and I suspect that may be the best way to look at others views, from afar. We'll be a divided nation, both here and in our offline lives, hopefully we can find some common ground somewhere among all the vitriol.
The local forums (especially for small areas) are usually pretty civil, but the politics forums and some of the others can be a dogfight. My area probably has less than a dozen regular posters.

One thing that I've noticed, at least from my area's forum, is that the participants are generally far better informed and competent than our local government officials are. There are a lot of local issues here in east TN where I think the governments have planned things poorly, failed to effectively implement what they do plan, and generally go down the wrong roads on many different issues. My city government has thrown out probably ten million dollars in incentives to various operators of a solar glass plant that the original owner shut down probably a decade ago. Each one of those operators eventually goes belly up, leaving city taxpayers holding the bag, yet the government keeps trying to get another operator in and restart the plant. I know they're desperate, but it's wasteful and at some point borders on incompetence.

The local governments feud - they don't cooperate - and unfortunately we are not a big enough area to be competitive with numerous feuding governments. The posters on the board are very different, but we mostly realize that the local governments are grossly mismanaged, and honestly, I think we could do better ourselves.

This forum is obviously more personal, and you do get to know a good bit about the posters. I come from an environment where my immediate family, and many area residents, have not been introduced to people from different walks of life or from different areas. Almost all of my family, and most of the people I interact with daily, have never lived anywhere but this general area, and most have very limited perspectives on things. I'm more curious than the rest, and use this forum as a way to socialize, pass the time, and keep writing skills sharp.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:59 PM

662 posts, read 479,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Ahhh, but if you were one of the rare men in this age group who WOULD do some of the cooking, who WOULD do some of the cleaning, who WOULD take on some of the previously traditional female roles, who WOULD be willing to take care of a sick old woman, you would find quite a few who might be interested in you.....

Ah. But then again, imagine if he/they would do all that was previously done for them!? How's about a guy willing to do all of those things. A little payback, eh?

Imagine ladies: a guy who would do NOW for you, what you did THEN. I'd call that a real retirement. Most of us have no interest in taking on a guy-who-is-a-job at this point in the game. But we could be real tempted by one who finally makes out lives easier. For a change.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Ah. But then again, imagine if he/they would do all that was previously done for them!? How's about a guy willing to do all of those things. A little payback, eh?

Imagine ladies: a guy who would do NOW for you, what you did THEN. I'd call that a real retirement. Most of us have no interest in taking on a guy-who-is-a-job at this point in the game. But we could be real tempted by one who finally makes out lives easier. For a change.
We seem to always talk about what the woman does and that the man should take on some of those chores.

I'm a woman and wonder why don't we talk about what the men do?

I'll be honest and say that even though I am fully capable of doing the lawn, washing the car, all the other xyz things he does, I refuse to do them. And I had a man type job in the military - and enjoyed it, but unless I'm getting paid to do that type of hard labor, I'm not going to.

Honestly, how hard is it to cook or do laundry. It seems like a lot because it is something that is done daily so we focus on it. Grass gets cut, what - once a week? Around here that is an all day job. No way do I spend 8 hours during a week cooking - so it more than evens out.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 20,111 times
I've gained five pounds! I have been glued to this forum since I stumbled upon it.

But on a serious note, I have learned so much about retirement And I'd like to thank you all. I am fairly new to this forum, and I am in the early stages of retirement planning. I am eight years out. There is so much to think about; where to live, how much money will I have, what do I want to do in these "golden years", healthcare cost, etc.

Thank you for the advice, and for sharing your thoughts and experiences. They are helping me to frame my retirement.

I guess I need a "standing" desk.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We seem to always talk about what the woman does and that the man should take on some of those chores.

I'm a woman and wonder why don't we talk about what the men do?

I'll be honest and say that even though I am fully capable of doing the lawn, washing the car, all the other xyz things he does, I refuse to do them. And I had a man type job in the military - and enjoyed it, but unless I'm getting paid to do that type of hard labor, I'm not going to.

Honestly, how hard is it to cook or do laundry. It seems like a lot because it is something that is done daily so we focus on it. Grass gets cut, what - once a week? Around here that is an all day job. No way do I spend 8 hours during a week cooking - so it more than evens out.
I'd happily trade housework for the outdoorsy stuff. Wash the car or scrub the floors?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'd happily trade housework for the outdoorsy stuff. Wash the car or scrub the floors?
I'd vote for neither!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or