U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retirees Do You Wear a Swimsuit
No I don't display my fat 10 8.62%
No I prefer other water sports 3 2.59%
Yes I'm fit and trim and proud of it 28 24.14%
Yes I don't care what anyone else thinks 70 60.34%
Yes I've got plumber's crack 1 0.86%
I don't want to answer 4 3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 PM

2,431 posts, read 1,667,352 times

Advertisements

I wear a swimsuit, most everyone else does at the beach. Out of the water I may throw on an spf shirt for uv protection, that depends on the time of day.

A retiree community beach isn't a meat market and most people aren't strutting around at this age checking each other out. Or maybe they are and it's all going over my head: oblivious bliss.

I see people doing what they enjoy: walking/running/swimming/shelling/fishing/reading a book. Those in swimsuits, which is the majority, don't seem self conscious at all; if they were, a beach or pool would probably not be their first choice.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-02-2017 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:43 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
I wear a one piece bathing suit. I have several because (not as often as I should) I swim at the Y and I also live on the beach. For my 70th birthday I wore a beautiful royal blue suit with metallic accents and a white sun hat. Standard summer garb around here is bathing suit and flip flops.

I never used to wear bathing suits because I was too skinny--but when you get older, you finally fill out!

Old 01-02-2017, 07:57 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
A purely American concern. In Europe, the old men tend to wear even skimpier speedos than the young men
Not really. I'm married to a European man. He doesn't wear speedo now, he did when he was younger.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:21 PM

1,910 posts, read 960,433 times
Yes, I have a couple of pretty modest "swim dresses" (a suit that has a slightly longer skirt than normal). Unfortunately, there's still more thigh on display than I'd like, but I figure if someone doesn't like how I look, they can not look at me.

Of course, my suits are black and several times someone has called Sea World and reported that a killer whale has escaped.

Hopefully, Omar the Tentmaker will have a sale sometime before swimsuit season starts again.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Don't swim. But do ocean kayak about ten times a year where I wear swim shorts, (mid-thigh length), a tee shirt for sun protection, and a life vest over that, topped off with a floppy hat. The life vest is because I can't swim, but I still love being on the water in my kayak. My retirement gift to myself is a rowing scull.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Those of you who live near the water, do you wear a swimsuit to the beach? Are you comfortable doing so?
I live near the ocean and am in it several times a week, and yes, I wear a swim suit. But that being said, I am not built how I was 20 years ago and sometimes feel self-conscious with flab here and there. But ironically, as much as Hawaii (where I live) is the capital of toned bodies in skimpy bathing suits, nobody really gives a damn about how you look. Well, maybe the 20-somethings care how the other 20-somethings look, but I am 65 and nobody cares that I don't look like a 40-year old anymore. So I just let it hang out and don't really care. It is pretty refreshing to not give a hoot anymore what people think.

[edit] I am a guy but I think the same is largely true for 60+ women I know at the local beaches. They all seem to know they aren't on the beach to impress anyone - that ended long ago. So they wear whatever is comfortable while surfing, swimming, playing volleyball, etc. It really does become more a matter of what/who you are and not what you look like when the hormones abate.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
I'm 67, 5'-5" (and shrinking a little), 170 lb as opposed to the 155 lb I carried for years, but the "new" weight is mostly in the thighs; could probably get back down there if I could still walk 12-15 miles a day, but a recent mobility issue makes that difficult; still have plenty of hair.

I didn't learn to swim until freshman year in college, but took to it, and still enjoy lap swimming; during the college years ('67-'72); speedos were acceptable, but regular box-cut suits didn't cover much more, either. One difference was that most men wore athletic supporters under swimwear to downplay any "conspicuous bulges".

As long as I was swimming for fitness, and swimming indoors, I preferred a speedo; the rules were different for pool parties and "social" swimming. Casual suits started going further down, almost to the knees, as early as the Eighties, but it wasn't until about ten years ago that the speedo became a badge of sexual orientation. I work summers at a theme park with a water park, and don't remember seeing a single one all of last summer.

I still don't enjoy "swimming in a tent" -- which is what the popular "board shorts" amount to, but the "competition" suit makers now offer "jammers" which are a reasonable compromise, thankfully.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-02-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 11:18 PM

825 posts, read 564,319 times
I was a water baby in California; we were all swimming almost as soon as we were walking. I loved it so much, I was pretty much always the last one out of the pool or the ocean.

Even though I don't live in California anymore, it would never occur to me in a million years not to put on my suit and swim whenever I get the chance to jump in the water. Nowadays it's mostly on vacation. I only wished I had learned to surf when I had the chance, not just bodysurf. But it's all good.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,151,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Not yet retired but I swim with a bunch who are and yes, they all wear swimsuits. They have to since they still race. I timed at a meet recently where a 92 years young man swam 4 events and set 1 world record.
I hope no one ever refers to me as 'years young'. That always means 'older than dirt'.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 AM

1,971 posts, read 1,374,450 times
No swimsuit or anything else, I swim nude in my own pool. Also have a very high fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or