U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retirees Do You Wear a Swimsuit
No I don't display my fat 10 8.62%
No I prefer other water sports 3 2.59%
Yes I'm fit and trim and proud of it 28 24.14%
Yes I don't care what anyone else thinks 70 60.34%
Yes I've got plumber's crack 1 0.86%
I don't want to answer 4 3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2017, 05:48 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, I used to wear strings, but now with the fat I developed instead of muscles, I scaled up to speedos. I hate to swim with boxer shorts or bermudas like the Young dudes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,281,919 times
I voted fit, trim, and proud of it. I wear what I consider to be age appropriate swimsuits, like a tankini top and boy-shorts bottoms.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
I'm 64 but still enjoy a swim when on vacation to a warm place with a pool or a beach with warm water, like Hawaii. I'm well beyond worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,296,037 times
I am no longer the size 6 I was when in my 30's - to be honest, not even close. But I do enjoy the pool and the beach and they now make lots of options in women's swimwear. I own several pairs of board shorts and several tankini tops that cover a lot of evils. I also have a swim shirt that was useful when I took a water aerobics course as it provides good coverage even during activities.

I also think that I'm more critical of myself than others are - no one is really looking at me. But I feel more comfortable with a little more coverage.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 AM

6,309 posts, read 3,574,248 times
I'm just short of seventy and I spend a good part of my winter in Mexico. So yes, I own several swimsuits. I am fairly tall and not overweight and can usually find an attractive two-piece that is figure-flattering. Think swing top and little skirt.

Not that it makes a lot of difference to anyone but me.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
I love being in water and we go to the beach several times in the summer. I also have two besties with swimming pools. I don't wear a swim suit when I'm with one bestie alone for a night swim. That's the best. I'm not super model fit, but I'm not morbidly obese either. When we go to the beach I wear a one piece with a pair of shorts. There's better looking people on the beach and there's even more morbidly obese people. The way I look at it is that I'm somewhere in the middle and pretty much invisible. Why not go out and enjoy?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM

545 posts, read 454,451 times
My 70 year old (very fit in terms of athletic ability, but certainly not swimsuit model material after 6 kids and 8 grandkids!) mother was just lamenting that she went on a vacation with 3 other retired women to the beach, but no one ever wanted to go into the water or pool with her. They all sat in the sand in shorts and a t-shirt but did no swimming or wading. She said they were all afraid to put on a swimsuit, except for her. She is super active and has tons of swim suits--even a bikini, that she wears under a sheer rash guard, haha.

I didn't know this was a thing--I'm a mom of 2 and am also not a swimsuit model but there's nothing better than a pool or the beach when it's hot, so I wear one every summer. As I age, I just get styles that are more forgiving--tankinis and swim skirts or swim shorts, etc.

Just enjoy the water and don't worry about your body! It actually gives me confidence when I see other people of all shapes and sizes out enjoying the water.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
I answered "yes, don't care". There was a time, shortly after putting on significant weight, that I was too embarrassed by my fat to wear a suit. When I was young, I had a body that turned heads, in a good way, now not so much. When I took a trip to Hawaii, I realized I'd have to wear a suit to snorkel, etc. and I just asked myself, seriously...do I "effing" care what total strangers think? Am I going to let strangers' opinions ruin my vacation? No. I love snorkeling and swimming in the ocean. There are better looking specimens on the beach and everywhere else we go, so what? What are we to do? Stay inside and be "ashamed"? NEVER. If I want to look better in a suit, that's on me, I have to do it. If I don't do it...well I'll just have to learn to live with whatever I look like. And that's what I've done. I am losing weight, not fast, and not as much as I'd like, but it's for my overall health. I'll never look like the hot babe I did when I was 22. It's a matter of making the best of what you've got at this point, and living life to the fullest. If you love to be in the water, do it. Find a suit you can live with, or wear a t-shirt over your suit as my DH does (skin cancer issues). There are such great suits for people of all sizes. Here's a link to a great site...Women's Swimsuits, Swimwear & Bathing Suits - swimsuitsforall The have great styles that cover a multitude of sins and can make you look as presentable as possible. (btw: they have great and easy return policies for fitting)

Personally, I don't stand on the beach and rate other people's figures, so I'm going to assume that, unless they are jackholes, most other people don't either. I'm going to wear what works for me, if someone else finds it ugly or humorous I am happily oblivious to their opinions. They can mind their business, and leave me to mine. I live in a community with many folks up to their 80's and I don't care what THEY look like in a suit, why would I think that they have time in their lives to be concerned about my appearance? We live on a lake, we live on boats in the summer, find a suit you can wear and if you want to wear a cover-up, or shorts, or a tee to cover your problem areas in or out of the water, go for it. Nobody's EVER going to mistake you for a young person, so what's the big deal?

Ladies, if you answered "no" to this survey...go to the link and check out some swimsuits that you never knew existed. See how pretty the ladies of all sizes look in their suits.

Last edited by TheShadow; 01-03-2017 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM

9,215 posts, read 8,298,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I voted fit, trim, and proud of it. I wear what I consider to be age appropriate swimsuits, like a tankini top and boy-shorts bottoms.
What is age appropriate swimwear?

I'm in my 50s and wear Sauvage bikinis to the beach. Every female I know my age and older also wears bikinis. Some of my girlfriends in their 60s look amazing.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:17 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Oh yeah. I got my first bikini at 55 when I realized I got overheated in a one-piece.
When we would kayak down the Colorado, I had on a life-vest and shorts over the suit but here at the ocean and pool, I just wear the suit. Need that Vit. D ALL over!

I don't have rolls of fat but also no waist-line. There it is, so I don't care (and voted thus). Scars all over from knee and hip replacement but I could care less. I know for a fact that no one I care about, cares about those kind of things. I get self-conscious about being top-heavy but I'm not gonna hide in some kind of fashion-tent. Like someone else said, at 60, who cares. I love the pool and am in it every day or reading alongside. Trying to get up my nerve to jump in the ocean but scared of the jelly-fish and we have very sharp shells here, some with needles sticking out of them!

I feel bad for those who are so self-conscious they miss out on the water fun. I go along with the Eleanor R. statement too. Once I saw what had to be an 85-year-old skinny woman walking on the beach in a bikini. She had saggy skin big time, but strode along confidently. I loved it. You go, girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or