U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retirees Do You Wear a Swimsuit
No I don't display my fat 10 8.62%
No I prefer other water sports 3 2.59%
Yes I'm fit and trim and proud of it 28 24.14%
Yes I don't care what anyone else thinks 70 60.34%
Yes I've got plumber's crack 1 0.86%
I don't want to answer 4 3.45%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times

Advertisements

All humor aside, the issue of sensitivity to how we look in a swim suit really doesn't have much to do with age, as many posters here have pointed out by sharing that they were overweight as young people. I look the same in a swim suit now at age 72 as I did three decades ago, that is, O.K. but certainly no washboard abs and certainly not something women would salivate over. Why would I look any different now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
While I was a bit overweight as a teen, I did wear a swimsuit. Also the male body doesn't go through the body stresses of birth.

I wondered how many seniors had reached the point where they didn't care. I was also curious about the need to live near water since I don't have this need.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,699,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Also the male body doesn't go through the body stresses of birth.
Males have stretch marks too, when they've been bigger and lost weight.

The birth doesn't have anything to do with it; it's the stretching of the skin.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
While I was a bit overweight as a teen, I did wear a swimsuit. Also the male body doesn't go through the body stresses of birth.

I wondered how many seniors had reached the point where they didn't care. I was also curious about the need to live near water since I don't have this need.
At 70, 5'10" (used to be taller but gravity works) and 170 pounds I don't care and I'm not sure I would if I was overweight. They can't arrest me for it! Another reason I don't care is because I no longer swim and haven't since 1994. I swam competitively for many years and tired of swimming.

My wife and I live on the shore of a large lake. I was born on an island, partially raised on an other island and have live on a seashore for much of my life. My wife was raised by two large rivers and spent most of her life by them. Water soothes us and provides much natural beauty as well as wildlife. That's all there is to it.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,836,241 times
I agree. Nothing beats staring out at the water and watching the wildlife, and the folks enjoying the water. We all tie our boats up together, grab a floatie and an adult beverage, talk and float until we're waterlogged, then hang out and snack, talk some more, wash, rinse, and repeat until sundown. Sure beats sitting indoors in the A/C.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Ummm, yeah, if I am swimming in warm enough water I wear a bathing suit. Otherwise, I wear a wetsuit. I stay in shape for other reasons, and this is a side benefit, not worrying about fat rolls jiggling around.

Now, age does have other ways of degrading swimsuit appearance, such as skin getting more wrinkles. Just a normal thing, unlike fatness, so it is what it is.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,004,262 times
It beats going in nekkid ... Just sayin' .

Seriously, why should I avoid water-fun just because I'm not attractive in the young sort of way?

You know there ARE some people who aren't hung up on age and find their same-age (and over 50) compatriots MORE attractive than the young ones, who don't share in hard-won experience and wisdom.

Wisdom is recognizing that having things in common and getting each other's jokes is a far firmer foundation for friendship and/or romance than just a youthful body.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:10 PM

14,034 posts, read 20,349,383 times
at/to the Supermarket?
Only during hot weather.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
I could care less what others think about how I dress, especially now. I have always been a person who dresses for comfort and function. Plus a little color and fun! I wear a black one piece Land's End suit with colorful mens' swim trunks pulled up and a sleeveless colorful tee. I like that I can mix up my festive variety of trunks...and yes I am a female...with different tank or sleeveless tee combinations. I can't do a lot of direct sun so this works for me for sitting around the pool or walking the beach when I can get to the ocean.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM

5,430 posts, read 2,827,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I could care less what others think about how I dress, especially now. I have always been a person who dresses for comfort and function. Plus a little color and fun! I wear a black one piece Land's End suit with colorful mens' swim trunks pulled up and a sleeveless colorful tee. I like that I can mix up my festive variety of trunks...and yes I am a female...with different tank or sleeveless tee combinations. I can't do a lot of direct sun so this works for me for sitting around the pool or walking the beach when I can get to the ocean.
I too sometimes swim in men's swim trunks (if I can find it in a small enough size), because they make great summer shorts, with those breathable mesh liners and the tiny drain hole in each pocket. They often are labeled as "river shorts". Throw in a quick-drying synthetic t-shirt, and the combo serves as hiking wear and swimmin' hole attire. Better than hiking in a women's swimsuit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or