U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,215 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Reputation: 9827

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You are lucky. You recognize that most are unable to do that? Even hard working citizens who don't buy unnecessary electronics or run up debt?

I was really poor in my early years. Then I later made pretty good money, considering what my prospects had been. I saved and sacrificed (as a single female, I never made the kind of money that a man would have made, so I had to take extreme measures to try to make that up in other ways). I ended up early retiring at about 60 (not my plan...long story). I will be fine because of my investments and frugality, and I sold my pricier house and am buying down (sad).

But I recognize that most people are unable to do that. They got paid less, had kids, maybe had health problems or kids had health problems, natural disasters, or they were working class.

Most people can't do that. That is precisely why Social Security was devised. If SS is taken away, then Medicare will become "privatized," too, and things will go back to the way they were before. We know that story. The majority of seniors will live in true poverty, despite having worked for decades.

There are all levels of workers in the country. The lower level(s) should get some sort of assistance from their country in their senior years, to ensure they don't have to sell their homes for food or a car repair or to pay for cancer treatments.
When is SS being taken away? It must be fake news because I've heard it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,893 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Reputation: 16076
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
SS has basically replaced workplace pensions as a main retirement funding for many people.
The data doesn't support that.

Social Security represents about 34% of the income of elderly.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/facts...icfact-alt.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,893 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Reputation: 16076
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Got the math somewhere? Cause that seems extremely reasonable actually.
It's on a spreadsheet.

It would indefinitely resolve the solvency problems for the next 150 years.

65 years is a reasonable retirement age that allows people to actually enjoy retirement, while simultaneously freeing up jobs for new entrants.

Note that raising the full retirement age to 67 did not eliminate insolvency and neither will raising the full retirement age to 70.

Forcing people to work until the onset of Dementia is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I 100% agree with you. Basic income is really the way to go, but I don't think I will live to see it, unfortunately.
Why would the federal government surrender the power and control it exerts over States, cities and counties with its 79 different Welfare Programs, plus Social Security and Medicare? Why would the federal government even consider dismantling its huge bureaucracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,215 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Reputation: 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The data doesn't support that.

Social Security represents about 34% of the income of elderly.

https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/facts...icfact-alt.pdf
Don't let facts get in the way of an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,009 posts, read 13,571,153 times
Reputation: 22097
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They were free, required or not. Top medical students there too. How else do they get their training. My neighbors are both doctors and they complained when they were training in La Jolla, they didn't get their practice.
When my husband was in a hospital for a week, he shared it with a homeless guy. We had good insurance, but it makes no difference as in we were not treated differently, except we had the privilege of paying the bill, our portion, the other guy didn't. The guy told my husband when he checked out that he was homeless.
As I said, some teaching hospitals have charity clinics, but not all of them do- but you can look that up for yourself if you doubt me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Planet Woof
3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Reputation: 9889
If Social Security and Medicare were taken away there would be more than seniors ''living in poverty''. There would be seniors dying on the streets, homeless and without food, much less medical care. Let's get real here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,009 posts, read 13,571,153 times
Reputation: 22097
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Don't let facts get in the way of an argument.
"For 61 percent of elderly beneficiaries, Social Security provides the majority of their cash income. For 33 percent of them, it provides 90 percent or more of their income.

Reliance on Social Security increases with age, as older people especially older women outlive their spouses and savings. Among those aged 80 or older, Social Security provides the majority of income for 72 percent of beneficiaries and nearly all of the income for 42 percent of beneficiaries".


Policy Basics: Top Ten Facts about Social Security | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

And I don't expect that you will allow those facts to get in the way of your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,215 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Reputation: 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If Social Security and Medicare were taken away there would be more than seniors ''living in poverty''. There would be seniors dying on the streets, homeless and without food, much less medical care. Let's get real here.
Please stop the fear mongering. Where in fake news did you read it will be taken away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,215 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Reputation: 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"For 61 percent of elderly beneficiaries, Social Security provides the majority of their cash income. For 33 percent of them, it provides 90 percent or more of their income.

Reliance on Social Security increases with age, as older people especially older women outlive their spouses and savings. Among those aged 80 or older, Social Security provides the majority of income for 72 percent of beneficiaries and nearly all of the income for 42 percent of beneficiaries".


Policy Basics: Top Ten Facts about Social Security | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

And I don't expect that you will allow those facts to get in the way of your argument.
What about the other link? It comes from SSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,168,903 times
Reputation: 8464
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
so that we can proudly proclaim our status as an Oligarchy, or perhaps after January 20th, a Kakistocracy
A Kakistocracy? What does kaka have to do with ocracies? Is it the basic substance they're made of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top