U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
<snip> Example: Everyone knew the Bush Tax were going to create a vast debt and deficit. It was also clear that 80% of the benefit of them went to the very wealthy. Yet they passed - why? <snip>

Really amazing when you think about it. In real life, we'd learn from mistake and correct in a direction toward The People. In this alternative universe, we dig deeper into a hole.
This is what really worries me. (Well, other than a 3 a.m. chest thumping tweet challenging Kim Jong Un.) Paying for two wars while extending Medicare AND cutting taxes was a disaster. Even my conservative Republican (now ex) husband was throwing a hissy fit. Does anyone recall the refund checks? Bush signs $1.3 trillion tax cut bill / $300-$600 rebate checks start going out next month - SFGate

Americans truly do have a short memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,623,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
A bill was sent to the floor of the house (HR 6489) recently that would raise the Social Security retirement age to 69. It is common knowledge that being unemployed and over 50 is a nightmare and less known that suicide rates of people between 55 and 60 took a jump during the last recession.

Does Congress have any sense of reality when it comes to the SS retirement age and the reality of age discrimination?
And you thought you wouldn't need a fake ID anymore.

It's already 69.5 for my age bracket.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 PM

30,989 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
And you thought you wouldn't need a fake ID anymore.

It's already 69.5 for my age bracket.
The SS full normal retirement age for anyone born after 1960 is 67. There is no age bracket for which normal retirement age is 69.5

Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The SS full normal retirement age for anyone born after 1960 is 67. There is no age bracket for which normal retirement age is 69.5
Not yet! But wait a couple of years and that may be the correct answer. Wait another 20 years and the new answer may be 75!!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,753,773 times
What me worry? I quit working at 72+.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM

15,726 posts, read 26,753,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hospitals are not allowed to turn sick people away. That's why they push for ACA so hospitals can get paid.
The ACA took away money from Hospitals. ACA gave more money to Doctors. Hospitals are under massive scrutiny now under the ACA. The act is hurting healthcare left and right.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
ah the blame Bush crowd. Obama had no trouble double the debt on his own. Why do you think Trump is elected and the so call blue wall was pierced.
You must have not read the post.

The Great Recession and the Wars were/are responsible for much of that debt. If I take out a 30 year mortgage for 2X the price of my house and then give the house (and mortgage) to you a few years in, you are not responsible for the debt.

The Bush cuts - by LAW - extended well into the Obama term.

The increased debt and deficit - again - are exactly what "they" want. This makes you and I and all the little people pay the bills. Whether personal or government debt, those in control (big business) want more and more of it.

Why Trump got elected? Fodder for another thread but a couple sayings apply:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people "
and
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron..

H.L. Mencken

Many people were proud when GWB was elected. When he left office, his support was at 28%.
GWB is a saint compared to Trump.

Holding up Trumps election as a sign of an informed public is kind of silly. But, whatever.
You'd be better of if you tried to understand facts, trends and the long curve away from "The People" over the past 40 years.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The ACA took away money from Hospitals. ACA gave more money to Doctors. Hospitals are under massive scrutiny now under the ACA. The act is hurting healthcare left and right.
So because they are being looked at to make sure they are not ripping off the government (which pays 2/3 of ALL health care costs), that "hurts" healthcare?

You must have not studied the health care issue too deeply. Leaving the industry alone to fleece us to their heart's content isn't going to work out too well. I, for one, want that $80 aspirin looked at HARD.

I suppose - based on your post - that you are in favor of allowing for-profit hospitals to do whatever they like with no regulations on their charges? If do, you'd probably love Rick Scott's old company which defrauded the taxpayer for the largest amounts in history. Luckily, they got caught and paid the largest fine in history - but think of how many haven't gotten caught.

THAT is why health care costs are high.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM

530 posts, read 537,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
Social Security provides for a good part of MOST peoples retirement income. Most people I know get about half of their retirement income from SS and the other half from pensions and 401k and IRA withdrawals. Without Social Security most Americans would not be able to retire. (But of course they may not be able to work when employers kick them out and physical problems limit their ability to work.
AGREE with Curious on this ... I know a good number of people who are relying on Social Security for better-than 50% of their retirement income. The (apparently) modern idea that Social Security was never meant to provide a full-retirement income may be something taught by later-generation teachers. (?)
I remember my Grandpaw, who had a meager SocSec check and a small savings account at a bank, being forced to move in with our Family. He could no longer afford to live on his own, after Grandma passed-away. This was a man who had been the head of a whole manufacturing division at what is now an international corporation, before he retired at age 72. Back in the 1950's, "investments" as we know them now were pretty-much unavailable to the average, working, middle-class 'Joe'. What you didn't receive as a pension or retirement (employer- and employee-funded), had to be made-up by SocSec. For my Grandpaw, that total amount wasn't enough to live (alone) on.

Yet-another friend of mine retired recently at age 62, and began taking his SocSec because he could no longer perform the physical requirements of his job, which was marginally-less physically demanding than a ditch digger's. Through some smart buying-and-selling, he has been able to afford a debt-free home, and has had 2 surgeries that I know of, since retiring. Without SocSec and Medicare, he might not even be around, now!

My point being: That SocSec was, and still is, a large portion of what many of us are (and will be) relying on, to be able to afford to retire without having to live in a cardboard box under the freeway.
Of course, those of y'all with more education and experience may see this differently. I can only relate what I've seen.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You must have not read the post.

The Great Recession and the Wars were/are responsible for much of that debt. If I take out a 30 year mortgage for 2X the price of my house and then give the house (and mortgage) to you a few years in, you are not responsible for the debt.

The Bush cuts - by LAW - extended well into the Obama term.

The increased debt and deficit - again - are exactly what "they" want. This makes you and I and all the little people pay the bills. Whether personal or government debt, those in control (big business) want more and more of it.

Why Trump got elected? Fodder for another thread but a couple sayings apply:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people "
and
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron..

H.L. Mencken

Many people were proud when GWB was elected. When he left office, his support was at 28%.
GWB is a saint compared to Trump.

Holding up Trumps election as a sign of an informed public is kind of silly. But, whatever.
You'd be better of if you tried to understand facts, trends and the long curve away from "The People" over the past 40 years.
My post is in respond to your comment against the tax favor the wealthy, the people in the blue state voted for Trump despite the railing from the left that he represents the billionaires. Obama did the same thing, but guess who got rich under his 8 years, the top 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or