U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:39 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,461,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

there were polls taken over and over on the various forums and the results tended to show many here are not middle america in wealth .
Isn't it just the Retirement Forum of which it was said people are more affluent?

(and perhaps in the polls on the Retirement Forum)

Or maybe the Economics-Investment Forum too? (rarely look at that forum)

There are plenty of people, however, on the Retirement Forum who are not affluent.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-15-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 03:47 PM

71,824 posts, read 71,919,037 times
they had them in the retirement forum too .

usually you will find that any forums that pertain to money are generally going to attract people who tnd to be above the median levels . it is like space aliens landing on earth and walking in a hospital as a first stop .

they then report back most people on earth are sickly .

Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,221,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Are you saying that young people are more important than older people? So they have priority for job openings? They have that, anyway. But you propose that it be institutionalized, and taxes go up to PAY for the seniors not to work?

Seniors won't work for decades, obviously. They'll work for maybe a decade. Use your noggin. Back to school with you!
Of course. Seniors have already had the privilege of working. Pay them a bit more to make retirement more attractive. At least try this the next recession.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:39 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,952,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There are more than 18 Million Americans between the ages of 65 and 69.

You'll need to create 18 Million jobs in order to create job openings for 20-24 age group.

If you fail to do that, you will have a perennial Unemployment Rate of 14.2%
Good observation. Wry comment. I look forward to your posts! They've all got that "fact pattern - deduction" thing down pat.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,484,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Engineers, computer guys, accountants, business owners can basically go till they die . . . . .
Kinda.

No employers want engineers, computer guys, .... er, .... people if they are over 30. Maybe, if they have a good skills match a 30-something gets a position.

In the 90's, looking with my BSEE, employers used to beg me to interview. It didn't matter if I had ever done "that" before, they wanted me. I was in my early 30's, young and beautiful ....

Now, in my 50's, engineering is a dead field. Programming? I'm not an expert in anything, so scratch that.

I got a degree in accounting by age 21 and was an active CPA before I started engineering school.

I can still work as an accountant - as long as I don't mind having a 25-year-old boss in a non career track job. When I start going bald or getting gray hair, no one will mind an "old guy" doing taxes or tax planning. ( I can fix their computers, too. )

It's a good thing I liked investing and was good at saving, so I only work to stay frosty. My 25-year-old boss makes payments on their BMW and I learned not to have "payments" on stuff decades ago. If I had "payments" I'm not sure my income from working would be sufficient.

It helps not to have any "taste" in furniture or the desire for new electronics and other toys. Mostly, I'm just a cheap b@stard. I could live better, but I don't care.

If I had a need for a good working income, I'd be hosed. Getting a good job North of age 50 isn't realistic.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,272,094 times
Well, first, the intent of the observation was that if they were employed and wanted to keep working, they have a far better chance due to the source of their skillset being more skilled mentally than physically. And anyone in any field over 50, that HAS to look for a job has more trouble finding a job than a 30 year old with more modern skills, or someone over 50 that doesn’t need a job because they are good enough to always be in demand.

I guess it all depends on where you are (local economy and population demographic) and what your field was. I’m sure an aerospace or CRT design engineer in Boca Raton may have more trouble finding a job at 50, than a power transmission line EE in DC, but since I know something like 20 engineers with pretty specific skill sets that either changed jobs or were laid off (GE), aged 50 and over and they all had no REAL trouble finding jobs (many were working again the next week, some it did take 2-3 months because of location or salary requirements) I would not say that is generally true around here. Engineering and accounting are not remotely dead, as there are still shortages in both fields. IIRC, more than half of all engineers and accountants leave their fields after less than 10 years. Most times when we interview older engineers for positions it is an attitude or entitlement outlook that sinks their chances, not age. Which not very ironically is also what sinks the young engineers chances as well.

Last edited by Perryinva; 02-16-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or