U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:43 PM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Not all, no, but many, and sometimes ones you wouldn't think are.

I chose a healthcare career. I'm on my feet for 12-13 hours with few breaks (we're lucky to get an uninterrupted 30 minute lunch break), I'm dragging a heavy, balky computer-on-wheels around the whole hospital while I see my patients so I can do mandated charting at bedside, I'm helping reposition patients, moving them from beds to CT scan/MRI/xray tables, helping drag stubborn supposedly self-driving beds down long hallways, reaching up/down/over/around patients to plug in oxygen tubing or electrical cords in poorly designed rooms. My job doesn't always APPEAR to be physically demanding; if you met me in the emergency room, you'd probably wonder how difficult it could be to give nebulizer treatments. I've been doing this for 25 years, I love what I do, but yeah, my body has taken a beating. I'm 62 now and there's no way I could do this full time until I'm 70 or longer.

I hear ya. I was a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years and pulled the plug at 58. I just couldn't stand working another night shift. Just done lest I become one of those suicide statistics mentioned above. Moral of story? Don't depend on the government to take care of you. You have to plan for your retirement at an early age. (Oh you forgot drawing ABG's and running around pushing heavy ventilators and other equipment.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 08:02 PM

480 posts, read 323,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I hear ya. I was a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years and pulled the plug at 58. I just couldn't stand working another night shift. Just done lest I become one of those suicide statistics mentioned above. Moral of story? Don't depend on the government to take care of you. You have to plan for your retirement at an early age. (Oh you forgot drawing ABG's and running around pushing heavy ventilators and other equipment.)
The vents aren't nearly as bad as those damn Computers on Wheels, affectionately known as COWs in our department, LOL.

The BF was also an RT; he was able to retire at 62 with SS, two small pensions. VA for healthcare, and a move in with me. I just went part time and am hopefully going to retire in two years.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If we ever get basic income, which gives the same amount to everyone, regardless of whether they're rich or poor, working or not; we could use it as an excuse to get rid of SS. We could make the basic income progressive with age, to completely replace all other old-age benefits. Young people would get just enough to survive while going to school, middle aged people would get just enough to support a small family at the poverty level, and old people would get enough to buy medical insurance and live reasonably well in retirement. If younger and middle-aged people wanted more than the bare minimum, they would have to earn money.

Then, if anyone ever committed fraud to get extra basic income, it would be either from pretending to be more than one person, or pretending to be older than really. Either of those pretenses would be easy to investigate at minimal cost.
And who is going to pay for all this? A redistribution of the wealth scheme like this will never be enacted in our lifetime. It needs to wait until there are more takers than makers. And even then, it will collapse under its own weight.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,835,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's nonsensical.

A more elegant solution is to raise the FICA Payroll Tax from 6.2% for employer and employee to 8.5%, add a 2% surcharge tax on income over the Income Cap, and lower the full-retirement age to 65 years for everyone, then make a one-time lump sum payment to those whose retirement age was 65+.

No, and you're going to have to actually get politically involved for the first time in your life, unless you want to get railroaded.
Got the math somewhere? Cause that seems extremely reasonable actually.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:01 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,835,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
And who is going to pay for all this? A redistribution of the wealth scheme like this will never be enacted in our lifetime. It needs to wait until there are more takers than makers. And even then, it will collapse under its own weight.
Actually the argument is that as our technology advances we are beginning to see the exponential growth of our computing power that soon providing this would be both trivial, and necessary.

But until then discussing it is reasonable, and several countries have started testing it in small numbers. All of that seems appropriate to me. The time for basic income will become obvious when we have massive technological unemployment.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,032,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
A bill was sent to the floor of the house (HR 6489) recently that would raise the Social Security retirement age to 69. It is common knowledge that being unemployed and over 50 is a nightmare and less known that suicide rates of people between 55 and 60 took a jump during the last recession.

Does Congress have any sense of reality when it comes to the SS retirement age and the reality of age discrimination?
You can retire at any age. It is up your YOU to accomplish this. Plan, save and invest.
You may not even need the meager monthly check Social Security promises.

If the thought of having to work until 70 frightens you, do something about it when you are younger and still have income.

It's a shame so many focus on Social Security as their main source of funds later in life. It won't be enough for any decent lifestyle, yet so many refuse to understand this.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 AM

7,321 posts, read 3,032,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
But the UK has free health care, which is the largest financial burden of seniors.

Best to compare the US with other industrialized nations who don't provide any health care to its citizens.
No need to interject lies into the topic. Health care is not free anywhere.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:05 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,068,483 times
I am amazed at how many young people I work with that do not contribute to the 401 K that is offered. I tell them to at least contribute 6% as company matches 75 cent for every dollar up to 6%. Plus you get a tax break.

The excuses I hear are not right now or I want to pay off something first.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM

6,223 posts, read 5,354,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You can retire at any age. It is up your YOU to accomplish this. Plan, save and invest.
You may not even need the meager monthly check Social Security promises.

If the thought of having to work until 70 frightens you, do something about it when you are younger and still have income.

It's a shame so many focus on Social Security as their main source of funds later in life. It won't be enough for any decent lifestyle, yet so many refuse to understand this.
SS has basically replaced workplace pensions as a main retirement funding for many people.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It just seems fairly logical and really inescapable concept that Republicans wish they could just sweep all the dependent peoples---the aged w/o significant resources, those who actually require social services like Medicaid, those who can't find or don't qualify for a decent paying job w/benefits, children who can't support themselves and need assistance like all those in foster care who received Medicaid,
basically anyone who is not a fully functioning member of society---with a decent job paying over 40K and health benefits---they just want them gone....period...
That pretty much sums up the Libertarian view, i.e. "I am responsible only for me; you are responsible for you"

Paul Ryan famously gives out copies of Ayn Rand's book, "Atlas Shrugged".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

If you can get through it, you will gain an insight to that philosophy.

When I was 23, it sounded good to me. After all, why should I have to be taxed to pay for others? I used to think that people who have no kids should not be taxed to send kids to school and that people who had many kids should be taxed more.

Now that I'm 67, in hindsight, my views have changed. Although I still believe that people should be primarily self reliant, I realize that we all have different capabilities, and many get the short end of the stick.

As a community of fellow humans, we should support each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or