U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM

13,208 posts, read 6,313,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yes. But at retirement time, the person making $80k, with the same 401k w/company match will have much more saved and a much higher SS. So he can then relocate in retirement to TN (or any other low COL area) and live far better. That is typically why people move to and work where the good paying jobs are. Its a choice. If you are really lucky, you find a well paying job in fairly low COL area that you wouldn't mind staying in in retirement.
Exactly. I moved to Boston, SF area without immediate family for jobs. I was often criticized by my family, but I had to go where jobs in my field are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Please don't lecture me about homeless to be poor, is this thread retirement for the homeless? This thread is about poor retirees, not poor homeless, that's a different category.
Really? Glad you clarified that.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM

7,575 posts, read 2,223,704 times
Quote:
Again, you didn't ask to clarify. I mentioned that as part of her retirement assets. You like to jump to conclusion again. I said she has a pension as if when she retires she has a pension, until then she only makes $57k.
She is poor in my book because she was almost moved to tears when she told me they were going to raise rent on her. Her house is in another location for her to use when she retires but right now she pays high rent for close proximity to her job. The minute she retires, she has a house, a pension about $30-$40k and her small savings. She is poor in my book, can't afford dental are for about $20 a month.
Please don't lecture me about homeless to be poor, is this thread retirement for the homeless? This thread is about poor retirees, not poor homeless, that's a different category.
It's also like a strawman argument, you are not poor until you are homeless. My duh moment.

Perhaps, you need to ask questions to clarify online comments before you get all emotional, that would be what I suggest you do in the future.
Your initial post as well as follow up posts in no way reflect the CURRENT situation in which you consider her poor. Perhaps writing what it accurate would bring you the responses you desire. YET: someone making $57,000 a year, who owns a house debt-free and is sitting on $125,000 is not poor -- oh wait ... she doesn't have $125K? She won't have pension until she retires ... but she currently makes $57K ... but she was retired .. wait she is still working ... wait she has $125K .... wait, no she doesn't. Your posts are conflicting.

Except I believe she can afford the $20 a month dental. Don't kid yourself. If they are raising your rent ... you move. That is not an isolated issue for older people. Young people have to make those choices too.

methinks she was hitting you up for $$$ with her tears.

Me emotional? Hardly. But yes, when it appears someone portrays a person with an income of almost 6 figures as living rent free, with $125K in the bank as "poor," a trip to the homeless shelter IS in order for some perspective.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Yes. But at retirement time, the person making $80k, with the same 401k w/company match will have much more saved and a much higher SS. So he can then relocate in retirement to TN (or any other low COL area) and live far better. That is typically why people move to and work where the good paying jobs are. Its a choice. If you are really lucky, you find a well paying job in fairly low COL area that you wouldn't mind staying in in retirement.
Bada Bing!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM

8,542 posts, read 6,140,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Really? Glad you clarified that.
Got your message - thanks.

Seems that, for some, this thread is about poor retirees of the kind that have to share a helicopter (Hugh Grant in Two Weeks Notice, wish I could find the clip).

Edit: Here it is....

http://www.cornel1801.com/video/Two-...lovevideo.html

Last edited by CrownVic95; 01-11-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM

13,208 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Your initial post as well as follow up posts in no way reflect the CURRENT situation in which you consider her poor. Perhaps writing what it accurate would bring you the responses you desire. YET: someone making $57,000 a year, who owns a house debt-free and is sitting on $125,000 is not poor -- oh wait ... she doesn't have $125K? She won't have pension until she retires ... but she currently makes $57K ... but she was retired .. wait she is still working ... wait she has $125K .... wait, no she doesn't. Your posts are conflicting.

Except I believe she can afford the $20 a month dental. Don't kid yourself. If they are raising your rent ... you move. That is not an isolated issue for older people. Young people have to make those choices too.

methinks she was hitting you up for $$$ with her tears.

Me emotional? Hardly. But yes, when it appears someone portrays a person with an income of almost 6 figures as living rent free, with $125K in the bank as "poor," a trip to the homeless shelter IS in order for some perspective.
I know there are a lot of nastiness on the Internet and your post is one example.
You need to reread again with better glasses. She doesn't have an income of 6 figure. She makes $57k. If she retires she will have a pension of $30-$40k. You pretend to confuse the situation but there was no confusion. It hides your insecurity because the fact you can't read correctly.

And I don't need trip to the homeless shelter, they already hit me up every year.

I'm glad to pay for her lunch and she didn't need to hit me up. She has cancer and a slew of problem. That's the least I can do. I've paid lunches for people making 6-figure even. I figure God has been generous to me, I can afford to be generous to some people. They are small amount of money in the scheme of things.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-11-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
I know there are a lot of nastiness on the Internet and your post is one example.
You need to reread again with better glasses. She doesn't have an income of 6 figure. She makes $57k. If she retires she will have a pension of $30-$40k. You pretend to confuse the situation but there was no confusion. It hides your insecurity because the fact you can't read correctly.

And I don't need trip to the homeless shelter, they already hit me up every year.

I'm glad to pay for her lunch and she didn't need to hit me up. She has cancer and a slew of problem. That's the least I can do. I've paid lunches for people making 6-figure even. I figure God has been generous to me, I can afford to be generous to some people. They are small amount of money in the scheme of things.
Since you appear to be new to CD, you may want to know that we post all kinds of things, but not personal attacks either visible on board or through unsigned reps. Reps are for approving, not for insult.

Let's go back to the OP and stay on target.

But yes, to press matters, poor is poor, homeless or not.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:

No idea where you are, $57k isn't a ton of money, but it's middle to slightly upper middle class here.

I don't know any private sector employees with a pension now. Not a single one. The people who do were probably hired years, perhaps decades, ago, and are under legacy systems that have long since been scaled back or phased out.

A $30k-$40k annual income at a 3%-4% safe draw down rate would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $750k-$1m saved up.

Is she "wealthy?" No, but it is a solid middle class living.

Quote:
Definitely. It's not apples to apples.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,101,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
A mailman and teacher are retiring filthy rich? I believe you have quite a skewed perspective.
Depends on where the teacher is employed. We have plenty of older teachers pulling in over 6 figures. When a local teacher marries a local LEO, they are well over $200K and have phenomenal benefits as well as awesome retirement funds.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 PM

19,883 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Quote:
Yes but you have to take in cost of living. To say in absolute term that at most secretaries make $15 an hour, otherwise people are exaggerating is downright ignorant. That person ignores cost of living. $17 an hour in LA can afford 1/2 room share with another person, almost dorm like in LA area.
Correct, because $17/hour in Cincinnati buys you a McMansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I wasn't wondering if the government was going to inflate our way out of debt. I was wondering when.
I know that the early signals of this inflation will be a steady rise in the precious metal prices. What other factors will you be expecting?
While the steady rise in precious metal prices may have been an indicator in the past, it does not logically follow -- and certainly doesn't follow the Laws of Economics, that it will be predictor in the Future. You can look at this graph from the Federal Reserve...

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V

...which shows your Money Velocity precipitously declining.

Look at the percent change from just 1.4 to 1.8, which is 20+%.

When your Money Velocity starts moving positively, you'll see [massive] Inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
What do you believe will be the trigger?
I do not know.

If I would know, it would be the difference between being semi-retired and fully retired.

If I would guess, I might say it may have something to do with global currency policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or