Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

Okay I'm going to see if anyone is interested in sharing bits of wisdom we "Elders" - 55 + - have acquired after living more than a half century on this planet.

I hope people will keep these morsels of information and advice short and sweet. If you dispute anything mentioned, please jump in and voice your opinion!

I'll go first:

Something I've learned from someone close to me that was for years in the mattress and bedding business is that it is very important to cover your mattress and pillows with a good quality moisture resistant mattress protector and pillow protectors. Just a sheet and pillow cases are not enough.

The fact is we not only perspire when we sleep, shed human skin and hair particles, but dust mites come to live in our bedding as well. Dust mites cannot live in latex, however, and a layer natural Talalay latex is a good thing to have in your bed if you are not allergic to latex. Human perspiration, body oils, and other fluids - even something as seemingly harmless as accidentally spilled water - contribute to the foams and fibers inside your mattress becoming degraded and spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I'm sorry, Clark, but I'm rolling on the floor laughing. You had me hooked with the first two sentences – I was expecting deep philosophical wisdom as in life perspectives and life wisdom to impart to the younger generation, guidelines to live by. When you started in on the mattress cover I spit out my coffee in hysterics. You didn't mean to be funny, right?

OK, I'll try to follow the thread with a straight face.

Happy New Year to you, young man!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Along those same lines, folks often do not realize that they should launder their pillows several times a year, and also use pillow protectors under the pillow cases.

Pillows should be replaced regularly, too.

I wash my pillows 4 or so times a year and buy new ones every 2-3 years, when I find good ones one sale.

My other tip is . . . read up on vitamins b/f you pop them daily. Most of the vitamins people take are not even "used" by the body . . . they are excreted. So don't take supplements and vitamins your body is not even going to be able to use -- and then thinking you have gained something in the process.

Also, some things, such as calcium, need another mineral to bind with in the body . . . so it isn't as simple as just buying a vitamin, mineral, or supplement and assuming it will "help" make up for things otherwise lacking in one's diet.

Other tip: Elderberry Syrup will help stimulate your immune system.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM

^^^^^

Heck, NEgirl!

You can share with us some profound philosophical wisdom on the meaning of life if you wish!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
^^^^^

Heck, NEgirl!

You can share with us some profound philosophical wisdom on the meaning of life if you wish!
The only deep philosophical thing I can say about growing older is . . . overall, as far as my body has gone, IT SUCKS, lolololol.

Back to bedding . . . if you put a blanket in between 2 sheets, it will keep the blanket cleaner longer, cutting down on the need to launder it as frequently.

And the extra sheet looks pretty when you turn it all down in layers. (I am into linens . . . can you tell???)

Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
^^^^^

Heck, NEgirl!

I was hoping for Plato and Schopenhauer...wait, maybe they do have something to say about mattresses and pillows....

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

I think Luther had stuff to say about resting well. He even had something to say about the frequency of marital sex . . . I think he recommended 3 x a week.

And Bonhoeffer's first letter home when he was in prison concerned his bed, if I remember correctly.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Oh . . . important bedding tip!!!

When I take my sheets off, I vacuum the mattress and then I spray it with Lysol.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh . . . important bedding tip!!!

When I take my sheets off, I vacuum the mattress and then I spray it with Lysol.
Not to rain on your mattress, but

Most Toxic Home-Cleaning Products, from Lysol to Liquid-Plumr - The Daily Beast

Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

A great quote from the glamorous movie star Bette Davis: "Growing old ain't for sissies!"

Okay, here is something a little more profound and intellectual (I mentioned this in another thread) ... do not fear being single or alone too much. It is far better to be in no relationship than in a bad relationship. If you find yourself suddenly widowed or single again do not rush into a new relationship simply because you're afraid of loneliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement