U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2017, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,364 posts, read 7,913,715 times
Reputation: 53461

Advertisements

We have changed our wills to include or exclude people over the years. We have no family and my husband's niece and nephews are strangers to us. His side gets zero. We have many friends and many children in our life that are in our wills, but they have been told that if they're not responsible people they get zero. Hopefully the last of us to die will do so holding our last dime. We intend to spend it all. If we go down in a fiery plane crash I'll smile knowing that our money will give some special shorties a nice leg up in life. I'll also smile knowing that his family can't touch it.

You know in your heart who you're closet too tij. Follow your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Central Mexico and Central Florida
7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
Reputation: 10153
Can't say I'm surprised by the number of people giving to animal charities, but disappointed since there are so many CHILDREN world wide in need of help.

And please save your "but pets are my children" BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 PM
 
4,649 posts, read 6,477,998 times
Reputation: 5394
Do people consider the difference between a Will and Trust and settling an estate? For those who wish to leave funds to an organization or person why not consider a life policy and enjoy your fruits of your labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,842 posts, read 8,600,793 times
Reputation: 6286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Here I am, 66, and I still haven't made out a Will. What, perhaps, makes it tougher for me is I'm single, no children! And the indecision can drive me kookoo!

I do have 3 nieces, one nephew, but 3 of them are very well off, in no need of it, but my one niece is the poorest, and she could use it. But, due to a wide discrepancies in values/beliefs, I'm not even sure I want to give it to her.

And then there's my 61 YO Mexican roommate who's been with me 15 years, who's been a Guardian Angel to me all these years, and I can hardly call him a roommate anymore, he's family. Now there's a possibility, but he's not a U.S. citizen, only has a Green Card.

And then! There's a whole array of charitable/political groups I'd love to give to as well, but with that direction, I always worry about some of those overpaid leaders, and whether the money will be directed to the most needy or not.

What to do? Anyone else pull their hair out, at times, trying to make these decisions? Or find themselves changing their wills, from time to time?
I totally understand. I am in the same position - single with no children. Though I have lots of relatives I am close with.

I am 54 and just made a will less than three years ago. I have a good amount of money, so I though I really needed to.

The catch-22 situation is that I wanted to leave the money to people for whom it would do some good, but I didn't want to leave money to people who are financially irresponsible. Among the people I know, the two are mostly mutually exclusive. The people who could use the money are usually financially irresponsible, and the financially responsible people don't need the money.

I've seen how relatively large amounts of money that people aren't equipped to handle can often cause more harm than good. Dysfunctional marriages also play a role. My sister is in my will for a lot of money, but I'm thinking of changing that because she's gotten married to somebody who seems not to want to work, and who seems to want her to grub money from her family while otherwise ignoring us.

I ended leaving a good chunk to my nephew who married a girl from a rich family, but otherwise has no money of his own. I know how having a little money of your own can help you deal with rich in-laws. And unlike the others in his family, he is financially responsible and so is his wife. I also left a chunk to my brother who is financially responsible but has never earned a lot of money. I also left a lot to a cousin who is financially responsible but could use some money, and a very close friend in the same situation.

In addition, I left some money to the (Roman Catholic) Diocese of Bridgeport to provide private school scholarships for poor children looking to escape substandard public schools where they live. I wouldn't leave a dime for anything political. Those skanks can get their money someplace else.

Of course, I could outlive some of the people I have included in my will, so it will need to be adjusted over time. But I thought I needed to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:36 PM
 
6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
Reputation: 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Here I am, 66, and I still haven't made out a Will. What, perhaps, makes it tougher for me is I'm single, no children! And the indecision can drive me kookoo!

I do have 3 nieces, one nephew, but 3 of them are very well off, in no need of it, but my one niece is the poorest, and she could use it. But, due to a wide discrepancies in values/beliefs, I'm not even sure I want to give it to her.

And then there's my 61 YO Mexican roommate who's been with me 15 years, who's been a Guardian Angel to me all these years, and I can hardly call him a roommate anymore, he's family. Now there's a possibility, but he's not a U.S. citizen, only has a Green Card.

And then! There's a whole array of charitable/political groups I'd love to give to as well, but with that direction, I always worry about some of those overpaid leaders, and whether the money will be directed to the most needy or not.

What to do? Anyone else pull their hair out, at times, trying to make these decisions? Or find themselves changing their wills, from time to time?
Me, too. I thought of my nieces and nephew, but I don't really know them very well. I've lived away most of my adult life. And there are other reasons (their mothers got plenty of money from my mother before her death, while I got nothing...so their families have had a boost in life already).

I guess I'll leave something to my best friend, although she is fine financially.

Maybe a dog rescue group. I would leave to my father and brother, but the reality is that they'll be gone, if I die of old age. I have a half brother who is not doing well financially, but he'll inherit probably half of my father's estate, when he passes....don't know how much my dad has. He's not rich, but not worried about money.

I can't decide. I better decide before I get hit by a bus, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:45 PM
 
6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
Reputation: 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Can't say I'm surprised by the number of people giving to animal charities, but disappointed since there are so many CHILDREN world wide in need of help.

And please save your "but pets are my children" BS.
That's like saying, "I can't believe all the people who are giving to the Homeless Society or Domestic Abuse Center, when there are so many CHILDREN world wide who need help from the March of Dimes!"

To each his own. You have a cause you care more about than others. So do other people. Your cause is no more worthy than mine.

There is no shortage of people giving to children causes. There IS a shortage of people giving to animal causes. Exhibit A: Your comments.

I will leave something to a local dog rescue organization, probably. And maybe one of the wildlife organizations. You would probably be impressed if I said I'd give to St. Judes (a wonderful medical facility for children). But there are super rich people around the world who give to St. Jude's. They don't need my little donation, and it wouldn't make a difference to them. But it WOULD make a difference to a local dog rescue organization, that needs basics like towels, cat litter, dog food, vet care, money to pay the light bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM
 
6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
Reputation: 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Do people consider the difference between a Will and Trust and settling an estate? For those who wish to leave funds to an organization or person why not consider a life policy and enjoy your fruits of your labor?
I have no idea what you're talking about. ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:47 PM
 
6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
Reputation: 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Are you an animal lover? If so donate to your local non government run shelter. Or donate to National Mill Dog Rescue who saves animals from puppy mills who are no longer needed for their breeding purposes.


Do you have a heart for the homeless? Contribute to your local shelter. There's nothing saying your money has to go to family but if you don't have a will or living trust that is what will happen.
I'm thinking that something local may be the way to go. Those local facilities exist on a shoestring budget and can really use the funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Lake Grove
2,753 posts, read 1,973,056 times
Reputation: 4459
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I totally understand. I am in the same position - single with no children. Though I have lots of relatives I am close with.

I am 54 and just made a will less than three years ago. I have a good amount of money, so I though I really needed to.

The catch-22 situation is that I wanted to leave the money to people for whom it would do some good, but I didn't want to leave money to people who are financially irresponsible. Among the people I know, the two are mostly mutually exclusive. The people who could use the money are usually financially irresponsible, and the financially responsible people don't need the money.

I've seen how relatively large amounts of money that people aren't equipped to handle can often cause more harm than good. Dysfunctional marriages also play a role. My sister is in my will for a lot of money, but I'm thinking of changing that because she's gotten married to somebody who seems not to want to work, and who seems to want her to grub money from her family while otherwise ignoring us.

I ended leaving a good chunk to my nephew who married a girl from a rich family, but otherwise has no money of his own. I know how having a little money of your own can help you deal with rich in-laws. And unlike the others in his family, he is financially responsible and so is his wife. I also left a chunk to my brother who is financially responsible but has never earned a lot of money. I also left a lot to a cousin who is financially responsible but could use some money, and a very close friend in the same situation.

In addition, I left some money to the (Roman Catholic) Diocese of Bridgeport to provide private school scholarships for poor children looking to escape substandard public schools where they live. I wouldn't leave a dime for anything political. Those skanks can get their money someplace else.

Of course, I could outlive some of the people I have included in my will, so it will need to be adjusted over time. But I thought I needed to start somewhere.
In bold is a BEAUTIFUL IDEA!! That will positively impact the world in countless ways!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2017, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,057 posts, read 9,104,743 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No, my roommate just renewed his Green card, no he's not subject to deportation!
People on here jump to so many conclusions SO fast, it's sometimes hard to read these threads

Also, I do believe you can leave money to your roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top