Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,222,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Also, since you can't take it with you, enjoy it. Someone had an excellent suggestion, pay to have your friend become a citizen. That would be a good $10,000 or so, based on someone else I know who did it.
He has a green card already, so he has a clear path to become a citizen if he wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Ten years ago, my boy friend died without a will and it was a mess. Everything went to out of state cousins and nothing to me or his two close friends. We were not even able to get mementos. I know this is not what he intended but he did not make a will or sign any beneficiary forms. Also my older sister died with a will but it still took some effort for my brother as executor to settle the estate. My brother basically begged me and my other brother, both single, to make a will so he would not have to go through a real mess if either of us died.

This prompted me to go to "Walk in Wills" and pay $450 for a will, advanced directive, and medical power of attorney. I also made sure that I had updated beneficiary forms signed for my 401k and checking and savings accounts. The will is just for the house and furnishings. Everything goes to siblings and friends. If I had a husband or children, I would have been gone to a more experienced attorney and paid the big bucks for an ironclad will or trust. But at least my will was drawn up by an attorney licensed to practice in my state.

I'm certainly no expert on wills but I have heard that you should leave something to your relatives. If your will totally omits them, there is more of a chance that it could be successfully challenged. But don't know if there is any truth to this.
I have heard that the way not to leave to relatives is to state their names and state clearly that it is your clear intention NOT to leave them anything.

Tony Curtis did this, when he left his estate to his wife and did not leave anything to his kids. Joan Crawford did that, when she intentionally didn't leave anything to the daughter who later wrote "Mommie Dearest."

But I wud think that only applies if you have kids or grandkids, which the OP doesn't.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Here I am, 66, and I still haven't made out a Will. What, perhaps, makes it tougher for me is I'm single, no children! And the indecision can drive me kookoo!

I do have 3 nieces, one nephew, but 3 of them are very well off, in no need of it, but my one niece is the poorest, and she could use it. But, due to a wide discrepancies in values/beliefs, I'm not even sure I want to give it to her.

And then there's my 61 YO Mexican roommate who's been with me 15 years, who's been a Guardian Angel to me all these years, and I can hardly call him a roommate anymore, he's family. Now there's a possibility, but he's not a U.S. citizen, only has a Green Card.

And then! There's a whole array of charitable/political groups I'd love to give to as well, but with that direction, I always worry about some of those overpaid leaders, and whether the money will be directed to the most needy or not.

What to do? Anyone else pull their hair out, at times, trying to make these decisions? Or find themselves changing their wills, from time to time?
I can attest..IF you do not have a will..whatever you leave behind will go to the Government. Legal hoops is costly for any relative to seek inheritance.. No matter your station in life..Best you designate certain parties to receive the fruits of your labour of your life. Even if you bequeath it to some Charity. Also if you don't have someone you trust to become Executor..make it your lawyer..who must follow your wishes..as for POA during times of medical/financial decisions may also become a lawyer's decision IF you become incapacitated.

I have going thru presently my son's estate..died at 41..no will nor signed UTD beneficiary designates. I'm not interested in his legacy ($$) but do know who he wanted to benefit. But Legal hoops make it so difficult.. Costs to hire lawyer later and go thru courts will end up diminishing inheritance's to young children and the parent is heart breaking!! Then, of Course my husband ( X-by over 32 years) left no will..and Son who passed went thru settling his estate ( 2 years ago) with my help/guidance.

Bottomline is..Having no idea what your familial situation is At the very least..Make sure whatever you do > Make sure you make some witnessed statement to whomever your wishes i.e given whomever you wish it to go..otherwise..Government and Lawyers will eat it up in a nanno second!!

Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's like saying, "I can't believe all the people who are giving to the Homeless Society or Domestic Abuse Center, when there are so many CHILDREN world wide who need help from the March of Dimes!"

To each his own. You have a cause you care more about than others. So do other people. Your cause is no more worthy than mine.

There is no shortage of people giving to children causes. There IS a shortage of people giving to animal causes. Exhibit A: Your comments.

I will leave something to a local dog rescue organization, probably. And maybe one of the wildlife organizations. You would probably be impressed if I said I'd give to St. Judes (a wonderful medical facility for children). But there are super rich people around the world who give to St. Jude's. They don't need my little donation, and it wouldn't make a difference to them. But it WOULD make a difference to a local dog rescue organization, that needs basics like towels, cat litter, dog food, vet care, money to pay the light bill.
Equating the needs of people/children with those of animals is simply wrong. I support 4 small orphanages, 3 in Mexico and 1 in Guatemala. When I am in Mexico (3 or 4 times a year), I volunteer at the orphanages, to give the kids a hug along with a meal. Without outside help, these children would die.

Last October, a neighbor here in the US showed me the Halloween costumes she bought for her 3 dogs....what she spent on those would have fed 10 kids for a month.

Anyone putting starving children at risk of dying on an equal footing with cat litter needs to re-evaluate their priorities.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 AM

361 posts, read 737,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I LOVE the idea of leaving money to animal no-kill animal shelters. There is ALWAYS a need there.

One could also split an estate 3 or 4 ways, say some to animals, some to people, a certain amt to an organization. They'd each still be getting a good amount.
Agree... I need to take care of this. I donate each year, in accordance with my values, to organizations such as Oxfam and Doctors Without Borders as well as animal charities. Will take care of my kids, but the larger piece will go to these organizations/charities.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
I do have a Will, but that's because I have children under 18. If you don't want to spend the money o a lawyer to do the Will you can do it yourself cheaper on www.Legalzoom.com all you'll need is a notary.

Do what is in your heart. No one says you have to leave anything to relatives. As far as your roommate, just because he's not a U.S. citizen doesn't mean you can't leave him money. If that is the person you're closest to, I would do that. Could family contest your Will? Yes, but one's wishes are very rarely turned over in court. If you're worried about that happening, you could set up an account in his name now.

Also, if I was in your position I would start spending it on my self now such as taking trips, etc. I would also give insanely large tips to those who helped me and gave me good service. Another good charity is a women's homeless shelter or buy supplies for a school in the area. Give a scholarship fund to a child in your town. IMO, children are the best way to give!

If you do nothing the courts will decide where the money goes. Not a good thing, IMO!

Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Equating the needs of people/children with those of animals is simply wrong. I support 4 small orphanages, 3 in Mexico and 1 in Guatemala. When I am in Mexico (3 or 4 times a year), I volunteer at the orphanages, to give the kids a hug along with a meal. Without outside help, these children would die.

Last October, a neighbor here in the US showed me the Halloween costumes she bought for her 3 dogs....what she spent on those would have fed 10 kids for a month.

Anyone putting starving children at risk of dying on an equal footing with cat litter needs to re-evaluate their priorities.
No, it's not wrong. It's the right thing to do.

You continue to give to whatever cause is worthy TO YOU, and I will do the same. Because of your comments, in fact, I am going to make sure that all my future (and death) donations will be to animal causes ONLY. Thank you for clarifying this for me and reinforcing what I thought: that there are LOTS of people giving to people causes (giving to "one of our own"), whereas there are not the same numbers, or amounts, being given to help our local animal rescue organizations.

Do you ever eat out? SHAME ON YOU! That money should be spent on Mexican homeless children.
Do you buy any item of clothing you don't absolutely need to live? SHAME ON YOU. That money should be spent on Guatemalan children.

Have you ever been on a vacation in your adult life? SHAME ON YOU. That money should be spent on sending Catholic children to private schools.

You could sell your house and move to a cheap apartment, and spend your profit on children's causes! You don't NEED that house to live a good life.

Do you get your hair done at a salon? That money could be spent on children's causes.

Do you buy a new pair of shoes, when the old ones haven't all worn out? That money should go to children's causes.

And so goes your logic: anyone who spends anything on something YOU don't approve of, instead of donating that money to a cause that YOU demand, is wrong. It must be agonizing going through life trying to make everyone live and believe exactly like you do, since there's no chance on hades of that happening.

The local dog rescues desperately need money. They use newspapers as ground cover, they need litter, food, money even in small amounts, volunteers, collars, vet care, bandages, towels, blankets....just about anything anyone can spare that can be used in any way for an animal.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

Everyone should make their own choice, period. If you live in the US, some could say you should help children here. We have homeless starving kids too. What you are doing is great, and your choice. I want to help kids and animals, but I also have a soft spot for the elderly. I notice no one has mentioned them. There are homeless and starving elderly. They can't afford life saving medications, or their utilities. They have to choose between food or heat in a lot of cases.

Everyone has a cause close to their heart, and since we can't help them all we choose who we want to help. Your choice is no more important than ours, need is need.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,958,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I do have a Will, but that's because I have children under 18. If you don't want to spend the money o a lawyer to do the Will you can do it yourself cheaper on www.Legalzoom.com all you'll need is a notary.

Do what is in your heart. No one says you have to leave anything to relatives. As far as your roommate, just because he's not a U.S. citizen doesn't mean you can't leave him money. If that is the person you're closest to, I would do that. Could family contest your Will? Yes, but one's wishes are very rarely turned over in court. If you're worried about that happening, you could set up an account in his name now.

Also, if I was in your position I would start spending it on my self now such as taking trips, etc. I would also give insanely large tips to those who helped me and gave me good service. Another good charity is a women's homeless shelter or buy supplies for a school in the area. Give a scholarship fund to a child in your town. IMO, children are the best way to give!

If you do nothing the courts will decide where the money goes. Not a good thing, IMO!
Getting a Will done can be a simple process. As Legalzoom was mentioned I assume I can also mention that LegalShield includes a Will and Powers Of Attorney in their family or individual memberships. A great inexpensive value and option. That being said I have to say I do offer memberships with LegalShield.

Beyond a Will here's something else to consider. If you have children over the age of 18 if a medical decision has to be made because they are unable to who can do it? Now remember they are now 18.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Spend your money now getting your roommate's immigration paperwork done.
There you go. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement