U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 AM

4,667 posts, read 4,502,541 times

Advertisements

Just a gentle reminder . . . partisan political discussion/rants belong in P&OC, not the retirement forum. Thank you.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 AM

5,848 posts, read 4,880,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
My so called career was a nightmare. I was fired often, laid off often and usually ended up in the worst companies. My various bosses yelled at me, told me I was no good and liked to play games with my self confidence. I suffered through long periods of unemployment and tough financial times. I jumped from job to job, career field to career field. I was miserable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
Shortly after returning a relative died and left me lots of money so I don't need the SS anymore, so I am investing it. I got a part time job to get me out of the house helping welfare to work students learn job skills.
Am I the only one who finds this humorous?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,522,114 times
I suspect it's not particularly real...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM

105 posts, read 94,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Am I the only one who finds this humorous?
YES! It is humorous but painfully true. My so called full time career was a nightmare with so many setbacks and run ins with coworkers and bosses. Incredible office politics! Also, lots of bad choices regarding my resume formatting and interview choices.

As a result, I am the perfect person to talk to welfare to work students because I have had lots of time to think about all my bad choices and near the end finally figured out what I was doing wrong all those years.

Many folks on welfare make bad choices just like I did.

(My teaching partner has had an easy work life and can't relate to the welfare to work folks because he tells me his career has been a breeze.)

Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,301,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
I retired at 55 and my husband still works at 60. He has his own business and wants to keep working even after age 65. But, I've done the math and we could easily live on our 'social security' income. Of course that is dependent on being debt free, which we will be in five years.

The plan is to live here during the summer months and then sail south for the winter. Talk about feeling free!
I'm 55 and have to keep working. The spouse is almost 65 and really wants to retire. We have to sit down and figure out if we would make it on spouse's ss check starting at 66 and pensions. I have crap for savings and I will probably have to keep working. Spouse would get Medicare and I would be without health insurance as my employer does not offer it. I'm scared that we won't make it but I know the better half is getting real tired of working.........Yikes!! Might have to downsize from a house to apartment
I'm not giving up my dog though! (Yellow lab)
Why does life have to be so complicated all the time? Ugh!

Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,522,114 times
Cindy-It doesn't. You might be fine. I live in an apartment and people are moving to houses because their mortgages are cheaper.
Do your budget, see how you can trim down some expenses. It may be quite doable!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,732,396 times
Default My Reaction to

Old 01-11-2017, 11:52 PM

1,168 posts, read 656,800 times
OP, I understand your feeling. I couldn't quite believe I was going to get my check, and Hubby half of mine. I actually checked the bank the day the 1st one was to be deposited and you know, it wasn't there. I called them and bank teller checked and it was sitting somewhere not credited to my account and she fixed that. I've never read anyone else ever having that problem.

Every month it comes like clockwork. It's like magic! We're able to add a little to our small nest egg while we still work, waiting for that magic 70. The other great thing was switching to Medicare and a supplement because we were tired of the expensive insurance we had and paying so much out of pocket.

Even though we're not wealthy, every day I'm grateful we've been able to get this far along. I've had a lot of poor years, so has my husband. This is lots better. In less than a week we should be completely debt free and I'll be like Minervah's little cheerleader!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,301,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Cindy-It doesn't. You might be fine. I live in an apartment and people are moving to houses because their mortgages are cheaper.
Do your budget, see how you can trim down some expenses. It may be quite doable!
Thanks FeelinLow! I actually sat down with the spouse last night and we figured out that moving to an apartment would be the same price as staying in our house and yet our house is bigger and No Rules! LOL
So, if we could just pay down the debt we have, we probably would be ok. I am feeling positive that we can do this!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 AM

983 posts, read 765,140 times
We will have dh's pension from work. His military retirement pay. Investments (401k, etc). Social security will be some nice sized checks when we are eligible for them, but we probably won't need the money. We've talked about giving it away (we have no children).

It's a nice feeling to not "need" social security income. We know many people are just barely getting by on their social security checks.

We are a couple of years away from retirement - unless dh's company offers him a contract buyout or something. The only large unknown at this point is healthcare costs - what will replace Obamacare, and will it provide insurance for us until we hit medicare age...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or