U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,688,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Where are they getting this "plenty of money" from?? And who are they getting it from??

I'd like to get in on that (haha). I've never heard of it before.
It says it in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

4,682 posts, read 3,253,088 times
Can't believe everything I read.

Life stories are much more reliable.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:49 PM

5,962 posts, read 5,312,463 times
Quote:

No they aren't. It is better to see the facts than to hear one persons complaint on how "they say" it affects them.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,007,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Have a bit more sympathy for elderly residents - change can be hard enough when you are young, but to have lived in a place you know inside and out and then be required to go through the disruption and uncertainty of a move is very difficult, particularly if the residents are at all frail. Many people at that age (not all) don't adapt to change well.
Exactly. Forcing this kind of move could well kick some of the residents over into full-blown dementia.

My dad was fine as long as he was in the home where he had lived for 15 or 20 years.

However every hospitalization, and ultimately when I moved him to live with me, resulted in a sharp and obvious decline in his mental function.

It is a well-known phenomenon. The main reason for aging-in-place is that people who are able to live where everything is known and familiar are able to remain intellectually sound for much longer.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have put off my doctorate (I didn't manage to finish it anyway due to my own disability racing down the pike towards me) and moved in with him instead. It would have been far better for us both.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Exactly. Forcing this kind of move could well kick some of the residents over into full-blown dementia.

My dad was fine as long as he was in the home where he had lived for 15 or 20 years.

However every hospitalization, and ultimately when I moved him to live with me, resulted in a sharp and obvious decline in his mental function.

It is a well-known phenomenon. The main reason for aging-in-place is that people who are able to live where everything is known and familiar are able to remain intellectually sound for much longer.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have put off my doctorate (I didn't manage to finish it anyway due to my own disability racing down the pike towards me) and moved in with him instead. It would have been far better for us both.
Bada Bing, amazing how the value of aging in place has often been overlooked in this discussion. I am not sure everyone has thought about themselves in the context of aging and the life prolonging value of aging in place if in fact it is a well supported place to age in.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM

249 posts, read 197,346 times
Quote:

Do you not believe the law?

You'd rather insist they get nothing but a swift kick?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 3,253,088 times
^^^^^ The situation you are talking about is totally different from the one where I live in central NY. Read my post a few pages back.

I do abide by the law. Some apartment complex owners do not. I have involved the Attorney General in my particular problem. I am fighting getting a swift kick.

One size does not fit all.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,672,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Did you read the actual article? The building owners wanted to do just as you describe. There are valid reasons why it was not possible.

They've done everything to accommodate these people. And they are on the side of the law here.
No, I did not read the original article. Somehow I missed that article link in earlier postings. You temporarily had me embarrassed by this over-sight until you used the phrase "these people".

With that comment my sympathies are fully with the current residents, and my suspicions remain that this is a deliberately evil plan.

I went back to the first post and read the LA Times article. None of the excuses offered by the management representatives are insurmountable construction problems. In fact, conversion/renovation of empty buildings is often done in phases for budgetary, work space, material staging, etc. reasons. It is just one more element of a successful construction plan.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-11-2017 at 04:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 AM

7,701 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
No, I did not read the original article. Somehow I missed that article link in earlier postings. You temporarily had me embarrassed by this over-sight until you used the phrase "these people".
Looks like you read what you wanted to into that. Most of the people affected by the construction have moved out already. These people have not.

Somehow I don't think a simple phrase equates to defenestrating a 94 year old.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM

13,265 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Bada Bing, amazing how the value of aging in place has often been overlooked in this discussion. I am not sure everyone has thought about themselves in the context of aging and the life prolonging value of aging in place if in fact it is a well supported place to age in.
Aging in place works if it's your own home. I think when you rent, I'm afraid you are at other people's mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or