Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,498,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
Well, that's a bit of a different story. How sad. It never occurred to me that nursing homes would do this.

Some of these people will die before being able to return. They will spend their last years in what to them is a strange place w/o their friends. Hopefully some of their friends can go to the same place.

What if someone can't find a new place? What then? Is someone working to find them new places? Some of these people are too elderly to call around and work out details on their own.

Very disturbing. But I guess the owners can do that. It's their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,498,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
These are people who are well-off. Odds are they won't have to lift a finger in the process. They've benefitted from a law (rent control) that restricts the supply of affordable housing for other people. Those other people are struggling to live in L.A. because their jobs are there. Sometimes they work two, three jobs to be able to afford housing.

And you want me to feel sorry for people who've had everything made easy for them.
I don't know if they're well off. At $50k a year, that's the norm for an average semi-private room in a nursing home. Most probably have insurance that pays for most of it, and others saved for years and invested, and this is the last of what they have, which they use with their Social Security and Medicare to afford it. Many sold their homes, and that money is being used to pay for the part that Social Security doesn't go to pay.

The place is going upscale, the article said, which means the current residents are not upper income.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,219,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
90ish seniors throwing tantrums and barring their doors.

It sickens me.
I hope this is sarcasm. [mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 01-09-2017 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: uncalled for comment

Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 AM

4,265 posts, read 5,893,433 times
I have worked in the Facility Management arena for nearly 40 years, and to me there sounds like a very evil undertone motivating this renovation.

Individual units can be renovated as occupants leave and the units are then rented by a new tenant.

After a critical mas of units have been renovated, tenants can be temporarily displaced for a short period of time in one of these units until their 'home unit' is renovated. Never needing to leave the building.

Common areas can be renovated while the building is fully occupied by using temporary rental kitchens, dining rooms, etc., during the renovation. Or contract the food service from off-site for a brief period of time.

A 100% eviction rate for a year stinks of forcing older people out just so the building owners can rent to all new tenants at higher rent rates. An 'end run' on the motivation behind rent control.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:37 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,425,920 times
I understand that they do not want to move. My motherinlaw is like that and would fight to remain in her original building and apartment because she "knows" it and loves it. Some wont even visit other buildings.

I feel much more sadness for people like the residents of the retirement nursing home in CA whose owner just left them. There were two employees who tried to keep them fed and alive until someone could help. These were truly people in need.

Care home workers rewarded for doing right thing - SFGate

Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,085,265 times
In 2011 I moved into a senior apartment complex that was advertised as low-income. There were many who qualified for subsidy. I was not one of them, I was $300/year over the income limit. For those of us who did not qualify for subsidy, a set rate was established with two rates being offered according to your income. Every year, rent went up $5/month though we were never given an increase in income (SS).

Five years later they raised the rent $10/month and posted a letter saying anyone who could not or would not pay the extra had 30 days to move out. I called the owners to protest this and was told that they were never low income. I then took a look at their web page and sure enough, low income was there. When I brought that to their attention they removed that web page the following day and replaced it with a new page that did not include the words low income.

Some of the residents here are quite elderly and infirm. If any of these people needed to move, how would they find affordable housing in 30 days? It's impossible, at least in NY.

I have written to our state Attorney General explaining my complaint which included something the same company had done to me some years ago. I don't expect any reaction to the older complaint but have been told they are investigating the new complaint.

Presently, there has been no word on what, if anything, will happen. There are a few of us here who do not qualify for subsidy and are barely squeaking by at this time.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,906,663 times
Someone else posted this link and I think it provides a very important clarification:
Westwood retirement home residents face eviction so building can go upscale

Quote:
More than 150 disabled residents of a Westwood senior apartment complex are facing an uncertain future Friday after their landlord threatened to evict them.
Quote:
The owners have plans to remodel and convert the building to a luxury state- licensed residential elder-care facility, a
Is this suggesting that the very nature of the program or services provided will also change? If residents return will they be eligible for any new services not previously provided? Will it be at cost or at their own rental rate?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:17 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,906,098 times
Yes, good luck trying to find ANY apt in 30 days much less one that is affordable/subsidized.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:11 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,906,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Yes, good luck trying to find ANY apt in 30 days much less one that is affordable/subsidized.
You have a perspective similar to others who actually strategizd and priced out their elderly years. Not every has

Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,824,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I have worked in the Facility Management arena for nearly 40 years, and to me there sounds like a very evil undertone motivating this renovation.

Individual units can be renovated as occupants leave and the units are then rented by a new tenant.

After a critical mas of units have been renovated, tenants can be temporarily displaced for a short period of time in one of these units until their 'home unit' is renovated. Never needing to leave the building.

Common areas can be renovated while the building is fully occupied by using temporary rental kitchens, dining rooms, etc., during the renovation. Or contract the food service from off-site for a brief period of time.

A 100% eviction rate for a year stinks of forcing older people out just so the building owners can rent to all new tenants at higher rent rates. An 'end run' on the motivation behind rent control.
Did you read the actual article? The building owners wanted to do just as you describe. There are valid reasons why it was not possible.

They've done everything to accommodate these people. And they are on the side of the law here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement