U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Reputation: 6379


Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Check your tax returns, did you have to file form 8606 every year?

Newbiehere is right. If you have not filed those forms in your taxes then what you have is after tax savings funds. Contact the investment company where you have been sending the checks. See how it is categorized.

Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you have not filed the form for the years you can file amendments to your past tax returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Location: North State (California)
39,577 posts, read 2,987,493 times
Reputation: 12922
If you made a contribution for 2016, you may be able to characterize it from a traditional to a roth. Call the company up & ask them to change it. I did that one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Location: Florida
4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Reputation: 4110
Contribute to the ROTH account. The CD is an investment within the ROTH account so you do not have to open a new one.

Leave the IRA alone. You could move the IRA to a ROTH but you will have ordinary income tax on the amount transferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Location: RVA
2,165 posts, read 1,266,382 times
Reputation: 4456
It depends on your age and whether you are eligible for a deductible tIRA, or a non deductible IRA. If your IRA is non deductible then the contributions (not earnings) can be rolled over to a Roth at any time, since you already paid taxes on that money. If you got a tax deduction each year, then it is a deductible tIRA, and leave it where it is. That said, a Roth may or may not make sense for you. It depends on whether you anticipate needing income that does not count towards AGI later in life, or anticipate a higher tax bracket later in life. A Roth is of little use to lower income retirement income people. If you expect to be under the SS tax level for 50% of your SS, then a Roth is worthless. Suze Orman does not give tax advice that is applicable for low income people. Her investing advice is typically valid though.

Last edited by Perryinva; 01-10-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top