Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

Work was office casual but I've left that behind. Sweaters in the winter, long sleeve t-shirts in summer (intense mountain sun) and often a ball cap or straw hat or occasional tweed cap (for a jaunty fashion statement). I read somewhere that I didn't have to wash blue jeans until I wear them eight days. I'm testing that theory. Winter here is like fall in most places so the sweater works most of the time. I have some casual khakis and a few polo shirts and button shirts if I need to look presentable. I'm about to cart off a bunch of clothes to Goodwill that I haven't worn in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I'm usually jeans & tees or sweatshirts. I haven't gotten rid of my good clothes yet. Waiting til I decide where I'm going. Right now it's still Tennessee. Once I visit & see what others are wearing, I'll weed out the things that won't work there.

I suppose I'll keep some good clothes but I had to dress pretty snazzy when I was working. Personally I hope I can get rid of most of them.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Yes. Shorts and a colorful t-shirt in the summer. Track pants and a colorful hoodie in the winter. So far, I have found no reason to wear anything more formal.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Did you throw out your work clothes or pack them away? Go on a shopping spree for new play clothes? Keep wearing the same stuff on weekends and step it up on Monday if you went out? Decide to live in jammies and to heck with anything else? Perhaps a little breakfast in the buff? What?

Haven't changed really. Same jeans and boots I always wore. Around the house just bumming sweats with shorts pulled over and hi top basketball shoes. I still do everything I always have. Always something needs doing work wise. A plumbers skills are always in demand. I take care of my lady's needs that way, being Mr. Fixit, and I still enjoy getting out to the scrub which requires good tough clothing.

Old habits die hard. And my cowboy hat is usually ubiquitous.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
The school library I worked in was freezing cold in winter and so I wore just about what I wear these days: corduroys and a sweater. I had to be on my feet much of the time so comfortable, low heeled shoes were a must.

The actual clothing has changed but the replacements are similar and they're based upon this cold winter climate. When I first started teaching we had strict dress codes and high heels, nylons, dresses--were extremely impractical for what was required of us. The only dresses I own now are beach dresses for summer.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Did you throw out your work clothes or pack them away? Go on a shopping spree for new play clothes? Keep wearing the same stuff on weekends and step it up on Monday if you went out? Decide to live in jammies and to heck with anything else? Perhaps a little breakfast in the buff? What?
I'm not there yet, but I look forward to the day when I can go punk / goth / skater 24/7/365!!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I keep my wardrobe up to date and have a little something for every occasion in my closets. When I want to look professional or well-dressed I can. For various evening activities and volunteer work it's casual good clothes. I'd say the quality of my clothing is better now. Ironic since it's not necessary anymore!

But I've never been very comfortable in "good clothes" and have always switched to my "house uniform" upon getting in the door. I was raised by adult children of the Great Depression and you always had to keep your good things taken care of.

One thing that's changed is that I hardly ever wear shoes any more unless I have to. (This, by the way, is a mistake if you have expensive shoes you may wear again "someday." Your feet are very reluctant to get back into them.)

Around the house it's sweats or yoga pants in the winter and shorts and a tee-top in the summer. Or sometimes I'm in my swim suit all day. What has changed about that is that I may run a few errands in my house clothing, something I never did when I was working.

Two things I do now that I didn't do then - I often wear a good pair of earrings and a spritz of perfume around the house. Just because I can!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
In a few minutes, I will go shower and ponder which sweats and uggs to wear today. I worked in tech so I never dressed well anyway. A long long time ago I worked in marketing so I remember those horrible 'business' clothes I despised. Honestly, the dress thing is one of the reasons I was willing to go out and get the skills I needed to change over to tech!

I will never understand the monkey suit mentality. I always believed dressing comfortably leads to increased productivity.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:59 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
I threw out my "work clothes" after my first year in the work force. They were stultifying and uncomfortable, as well as unattractive.

Since "retiring" I don't wear exactly the same sorts of clothes, but this is largely due to physical changes and lack of ready cash. Other than that, I wear much the same sort of stuff overall that I wore when I was working.

Of course being a software engineer, I had way more flexibility on this matter than many other professions might afford.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
I agree with how wonderful it is to never have to wear anything but leggings, yoga pants, sweats again...but just occasionally I see a nice outfit in a store/online and am just a little wistful that I don't need it/will never need it/would be crazy to spend the money on and not comfortable/practical to wear around the house or even when I go out to the occasional concert or dance performance or out to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement