Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:22 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,511,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My DH has not worn a tie since he retired, except at one of our kid's wedding.

That's ten years without a tie. His workplace went casual about 20 years ago, and for awhile he only wore tied to church and to selected events. But I cannot remember him wearing a tie after retirement.
Way back in high school when we had dress codes, boys were required to wear a white shirt and a tie. They hated the ties. Toward the end of the school year, when it started to get too hot, there was a "T" Day. Starting with T Day they boys could go without a tie until the end of the school year.

My dh will not wear a tie. I think I got him to wear a tie with some logo like MG one time but otherwise, no.
He just lives in jeans or khakis and a turtleneck, or in summer a polo or T shirt with jeans. He does have quite a colorful assortment of golf pants, lol. He's kind of a fashionista when it comes to golf clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,854,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My DH has not worn a tie since he retired, except at one of our kid's wedding.

That's ten years without a tie. His workplace went casual about 20 years ago, and for awhile he only wore tied to church and to selected events. But I cannot remember him wearing a tie after retirement.
Well, if there's no particular reason for him to wear one, I was not suggesting that he should. The occasions when I do still wear one are, for the most part, occasions where it would not be absolutely de rigeur, but I enjoy the look. I rather suspect that there are more men like your husband in retirement than like me.

Edited to add: Just read in_newengland's post. I think it's very understandable that being forced to wear a tie everyday at school at such a young age (high school) could result in a life-long aversion to them. I was forced to do a whole lot of yard work and work in the vegetable garden when I was a kid (and when I just ached to be playing with the other neighborhood kids); that has resulted in a life-long dislike of gardening.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:15 PM

44,566 posts, read 61,338,989 times
Did you change the way you dress since you retired?

Yes, since I retired I now put my left leg into the pants first instead of the right one in the right pant leg, and also tie my shoes differently, left one first, right one second.
Same clothes hang in the closet from the past 20+ years. Not a stylist here.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,251,193 times
I have an expensive and nice silk jacket that I wear over a cheap sack-style dress. I always get complements because the jacket is attractive and the dress blends in. I should probably check it for moth holes or something in case I need to wear it again. Oh and flats dyed to match.
Pantyhose are good for avoiding saddle sores when riding if one's seat isn't too secure. Otherwise, out they go.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,744,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have an expensive and nice silk jacket that I wear over a cheap sack-style dress. I always get complements because the jacket is attractive and the dress blends in. I should probably check it for moth holes or something in case I need to wear it again. Oh and flats dyed to match.
Pantyhose are good for avoiding saddle sores when riding if one's seat isn't too secure. Otherwise, out they go.
Plus pantyhose provide good insulation without bulk under jeans when riding in colder weather. They also help with knee chafing, if that's a problem on long mountainous trail rides. Sometimes a good seat just isn't enough when you're riding a mountain goat-like trail horse.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,440,249 times
I never had a job where I had to dress nice since I was very young. All of my jobs after 20 or so I wore either jeans and a t-shirt or a uniform.

I didn't change what I wore for leisure (jeans and t-shirt and tennis shoes) when I retired, but I did change my look sometime after retirement because my taste changed. I still wear jeans but with a nicer top instead of a sloppy men's t-shirt and hardly ever with tennis shoes. I wear nice sandals or cute boots. I also wear skirts in the summer which I NEVER wore before. Never realized how darn comfortable they are.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,553,168 times
Yesterday I went to the grocery and wore stone-washed jeans, a Big Dog graphic tee, Skechers Go Walk slip-ons, a plaid flannel shirt, and a Carhartt hooded jacket. This is ''dressed up to go out'' because I put on my ''less rat tat'' shoes and wore a clean shirt, not one I slept in. Warm weather is cargo shorts, grapic tees or polo shirts, ''Keen like'' sandals, Crocs, or running shoes. Barefoot at home. And quite a collection of ball caps for anytime. Don't do the sun without a ball cap. Usually a golf motif.
And I wear my clothes until they shred out. Got stuff from 20 years ago still looking good. New stuff disintegrates after 2-3 years. I shop me a lot of Good Will, Ebay, and Wally World for duds.
Wore scrubs and casual ''working in the rural area'' stuff when working. Haven't owned or worn a dress or skirt since 1987. Never worked where I had to ''power dress''.
So I've not changed a lot except I rarely wear chinos or khakis or one of my nicer ''work'' shirts or sweaters because I rarely see clients anymore on my contract job. Business is way down and those few clothes are probably going to be packed away to make closet room for more tie dye shirts which I am now collecting. I'm thinking of adding some Birkenstocks ala my ''college days'' to the mix and have also considered a very small tatoo or two. Gettin' funky in my dotage! LOL

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-14-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 12:40 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,905,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Way back in high school when we had dress codes, boys were required to wear a white shirt and a tie. They hated the ties. Toward the end of the school year, when it started to get too hot, there was a "T" Day. Starting with T Day they boys could go without a tie until the end of the school year.

My dh will not wear a tie. I think I got him to wear a tie with some logo like MG one time but otherwise, no.
He just lives in jeans or khakis and a turtleneck, or in summer a polo or T shirt with jeans. He does have quite a colorful assortment of golf pants, lol. He's kind of a fashionista when it comes to golf clothing.
I went to a high school with the same dress code. Now I have to wear suits to work. College was the only time I could dress comfortably. Once I am retired, I plan to wear suits only to weddings and funerals.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,440,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I went to a high school with the same dress code. Now I have to wear suits to work. College was the only time I could dress comfortably. Once I am retired, I plan to wear suits only to weddings and funerals.
That's why I didn't wear skirts/dresses for decades after I left high school, too. We had to wear a dress to school and the cult I grew up in required a dress on Sunday. I hated them! Luckily I got over the negative associations and can wear them comfortably again.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:03 PM

123 posts, read 202,522 times
A number of years before I retired in 2013, started wearing Aloha shirts to the office every day. Got the point that people got upset if wasn't wearing one which was rare. Still wear them everyday even in Winter makes me feel warm (-:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement