U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I was terminated by my employer and decided to retire
Yes and I collected jobless benefits for as long as I could 18 85.71%
Yes, but I did not collect jobless benefits because I did not feel it was right 1 4.76%
I don't remember 0 0%
It was not worth the hassle 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,842 times

Advertisements

When the company I worked for downsized their work force a bit I was let go. I offered to come in the mornings there was just a little work and work for an hour or two any day I was needed. They said no, they'd rather I'd go on unemployment. They weren't unhappy with my work, it was the bank situation at the time.

So I went on unemployment for whatever time was legal then. I had to fill out forms to submit, listing all the places I tried to get jobs. They checked it every couple of weeks, and they were supposed to make random checks with those places to make sure I actually applied. Almost got a job one place that I considered very unsafe and had to wiggle out of that one. I did feel bad about the whole thing, but was a little mad at the company for the way they handled the whole thing.

After this, I took over a lot of the jobs here and its a good thing I did. Turned out I was very needed. For a lot of years I got to write myself a small paycheck every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,968 times
I been begging my current employer to lay me off so i can collect Unemployment until i retire!
so far, no such luck!

Honestly though.. if by chance i were to be laid off within a year of my schedule retirement, i would have NO QUARRELS with collecting unemployment.. ZERO!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I wonder why this is even a question.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM

761 posts, read 637,648 times
I was WFR'ed in February 2016.
That means work force reduced.
A more politically correct way of saying laid off.

Anyway, I was 63 at the time, making a high salary and they
Went through and culled quite a few
Of us over age 55.

Did me a big favor as I was going to
tell them to pound sand in April, anyway.

I guess I double dipped a bit since I
got a severance plus unemployment.

I had worked in two states and when
one unemployment ran out, found out
I could collect from the second state.

Ran out the day after Christmas.

Paid bills, etc and kept me from tapping
my bank account and 401k.

Do I feel guilty or bad?
Hell no!
I paid into it and I am entitled to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or