U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: People are living longer, so they should work a full time job longer.
Yes, in most cases, I think that is true 27 24.32%
Maybe but only people who work in white collar non physical jobs 23 20.72%
NO! Because there is a shortage of jobs and lets give the young people a chance to work at them 61 54.95%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:15 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
A lot of the commentary I see on here about working longer (or not) seems to be focused on the more emotional side of things. People stating they "want to take this job and shove it," people wanting to walk into their boss's office one final time to tell the boss their real thoughts, people bumming out about the Millennials moving into the work force or working for an Xer (or even Millie!) boss, effects of automation (including office and "paperwork" automation), the realities of working globally e.g. con calls with China/India/Israel/etc, and so on. A few rightfully state they worked in hard physical labor and their joints are shot, but that is a minority of workers these days.
Many of the older workers get forced out, regardless of competence or external factors like automation. It's something we should all worry about. "Today it's you, tomorrow it's me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:56 AM

71,517 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Not necessarily.

For example Vietnamese food is usually a lot stir frying and oily than American-style Chinese food, with a wider mix of fresh salads and soups. Some pho ga, fresh spring rolls, or lotus root salad doesn't have lots of grease of frying.

Same with Thai food, plenty of options that aren't stir fried in grease.
it all depends where you live . there are no cheap , healthy low cost places to eat out where we are , our area is very ethnic , to the point that the smaller cheaper places purposely have no signs in english .they do not want american business and do not speak english themselves .

the rents are to high every where else local for any cheap eateries . .

we like one particular Vietnamese place that is local but they are far from cheap . dinner in any of these places is about 60-70 bucks a couple .

i need to be able to communicate with them because anything i eat can't have corn starch or msg.

it is much cheaper for most folks to grab a burger and fries or some fried chicken when not looking to spend a lot of money .salads that can be called a meal anywhere are 12-15 bucks .

the area is nice for our street photography though .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2017 at 02:16 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 02:20 AM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Have you tried Pho Bang? Obviously I've never been since I'm not from Queens, but from their menu they have plenty of affordable soups, salads, spring rolls, and dishes with grilled (not deep fried) meats.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/phobang-restaurant-flushing

Pho Ga = $5.75
Goi Cuon = $3.95
Bun Bo Hue - $5.50
Bun Char = $5.75
Goi Tom = $5.50/$7.50

You tried that yet?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:36 AM

yes , very salty and oily . we didn't like it . pho 32 is okay but not thrilled with the selection of food as well as way to salty for me . we stopped going there .

the broth they use for the pho is good but way to much salt . i have to watch my salt and sugars .

the last thing i want to eat when we go out is steamed vegetables . yeeeech . so grilled chicken or fish or a decent salad always is more expensive than a burger and fries .

we do like thai food at a place down the block from us but again not cheap

http://www.erawanthaibayside.com/.

we can tell just from how our food bills and eating even at home changed since i was diagnosed as diabetic . nice cheap pasta dishes are all off the table now . our fruit and vegetable bills are very high compared to what they used to be and that stuff ain't cheap in nyc .

abouit the only cheap thing i eat is peanut butter daily for breakfast . usually 2 hard boiled eggs and peanut butter on something or plain yougurt and strawberry's and 2 eggs . for variation i will eat rolled up cold cuts for breakfast like ham or turkey .

but all the other meals do cost us more than they used to when i ate anything . the lower end foods were always the tastiest lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2017 at 02:49 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Okay so just to be clear when you say there is nothing but places that fry in grease and don't speak English, you actually mean salty and oily? Like their spring rolls are too salty? Unless pho broth too salty means it was fried in grease you are moving the goal posts pretty far from previous claim. You appear to now be taking the completely different position that nothing near you is at your preferred salt level and speaking English is no longer in the equation.

Have you tried their salads? What about the spring rolls, are those fried in grease too?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:14 AM

spring rolls ain't a meal nor would i make them one .

the point is that decent meals whether chicken , salads with enough stuff to make a meal or fish in decent places are more than cheaper burger and frie meals which are the most popular . eating out here is more expensive trying to eat healthy instead of grabbing pizza or a burger unless you want some pretty low grade food.

our bills tell us this has been the case ,.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:30 AM

15,729 posts, read 26,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think people should WORK as long as they want to.. PERIOD. its a personal choice!
I know people that don't want to work at all. I know some that show up for work but refuse to do much of anything. They do not want to be here. I think that these people should take you up on your offer and stop working. The problem I see is that they have to eat and have no other way to pay the bills so work is the answer.

I have the same thoughts on retirement. If you can not afford to retire then keep working.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:27 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,758,289 times
Middle-aged white men are dying like flies in America.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM

20,108 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Oh bull. SS was set up to be self-funding indefinitely. If it hadn't been constantly raided to fund other things on the sly for the past 80 years, there would be no doubt of its continued solvency.

Also, contributions haven't kept up with inflation. The "cap" on income that is subject to the tax is way out of proportion to what it was when SS was first instituted. Frankly I think the cap should be removed and ALL income should be subject to the tax.

This is coming from someone who was in the top 10% for income. Yes, I feel that all of my income, and all of my husband's income, should have been subject to the SS tax.

Let me qualify that - I feel that there should be a LOWER cap, eg an amount of your first so much of earnings that is NOT subject to the tax. I'd say you shouldn't have to pay the tax unless and until you are making more than 25K as a single person. That should be adjusted for families.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
spring rolls ain't a meal nor would i make them one .
You don't have to, but at $3.50 they can be part of a meal that might include other things like soups and salads. None of which is fried in grease and served in a place that doesn't speak English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the point is that decent meals whether chicken , salads with enough stuff to make a meal or fish in decent places are more than cheaper burger and frie meals which are the most popular . eating out here is more expensive trying to eat healthy instead of grabbing pizza or a burger unless you want some pretty low grade food.
My point is you are greatly exaggerating when you say every ethnic food place near you doesn't speak English and serves food fried in grease. When shown a menu of things showing this to be false suddenly it is about salt content or how much a meal it makes, instead of whether it is fried in grease. Pho being too salty for your tastes doesn't mean it was fried in grease does it? Nope.

I don't know how you figure burger and fries are cheaper when the menu and your local Viet-joint shows all those choices for under $6. Noodles dishes, soup dishes, rice dishes, are you really saying they are all less healthy than a burger and fries when they cost $5.50 or $5.57?

Can you tell me which restaurant in Flushing has a burger and fries for less than $6? I'm not a nutritionist but I doubt pho ga is worse than a cheeseburger and french fries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or