U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: People are living longer, so they should work a full time job longer.
Yes, in most cases, I think that is true 27 24.32%
Maybe but only people who work in white collar non physical jobs 23 20.72%
NO! Because there is a shortage of jobs and lets give the young people a chance to work at them 61 54.95%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
"Your analysis and conclusions are all wrong.

Life-expectancy is declining due to Life-Style, largely obesity, Type II Diabetes and chronic heart problems due to a self-indulgent hedonistic and inactive Life-Style.

[emphasis mine]

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/he...mortality.html

No amount of healthcare will stop people from porking up and getting Type II Diabetes or chronic heart problems."

And what's one of the biggest reasons people are fat? Poverty! Healthy foods are not cheap grab and go foods. You have to have the money to purchase the ingredients and time to prepare healthy meals. And that's a real luxury to someone who is working multiple jobs trying to survive.

Back in the middle ages obesity meant you were wealthy and could afford to eat. Today obesity is a sin of the poor. The rich people now pay to be thin.
I know people online like to spread these fake news. When my husband and I were both unemployed, we had nothing but fresh food bought from Food 4 less, a store where Mexicans shop for food. Everything was cheap and fresh. There is no excuse. If you know eating these food that would make you sick, then don't eat them.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-11-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:56 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,498,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
And the Railroad industry is not the poster child for fiscal superiority either. They are always on the verge of bankruptcy. Their generous (if you live long enough) benefits harken to an age when people used to use the word "harken".
Again, conditions here are very difficult to understand for someone unfamiliar with the industry's history, or unique constraints, both operating and fiscal.

Except for pipelines, the railroads are the only form of transportation which provide their own right-of-way and very expensive physical plant. As consequences of this, they have high costs not directly related to operation, and large sums of depreciation which don't involve a direct cash outflow. Like an electric utility, a railroad can post an operating loss for many years before the cash runs out; and after many years of stability, this is precisely what happened to most of the Eastern trunk lines incorporated into Conrail.

By the early 1980s most Eastern railroads, with the exception of those moving large volumes of stable (at the time) coal traffic in what is usually called the "Pocahontas" region by those familiar with the industry, were insolvent, and the problem was spreading to the upper Midwest. The industry was saved by (1) work-rules reform that reduced the common train crew size from five men to two and (2) abandonment of about 40 per cent of an overbuilt physical plant (measured in terms of mileage). What was left was far more efficient. And Conrail was broken up and divided among the two remaining major carriers in the Eastern U. S.

Since that time, the railroads have been operated in a manner very similar to utilities, producing steady, but far from spectacular operating profits, but the loss of traffic due to the "war on coal", the likely contraction of both crude oil and ethanol traffic due to both cheaper imported oil and completion of new pipelines, and the reduction of the disadvantages which truckers (who can offer far more reliable and flexible delivery options) have operated in recent years, have eroded railroad profitability. The industry will eventually stabilize again, but possibly at the cost of further contraction and consolidation, and we are already down to seven major rail carriers in North America, two of which are Canadian.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:57 PM

11,929 posts, read 20,376,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
The media tells us we are all living longer. There has also been lots of news stories about the glories of working until your 70s. It use to be the media loved to talk about the glories of early retirement but their narrative has changed and now they glorify people who work in their retirement. Their logic is: People are living longer so they should work longer.

On an intellectual and emotional analysis, what do you think about the viewpoint that because people are living longer, they should work full time longer?

And do you think the most Americans have the energy and general heath to work full time into their late 60s and early 70s?
In all honesty, I don't think it's anyone else's business what I chose to do or not do. If I choose to work and save and retire at 58, then I get to retire at 58. If I don't want to I don't have to.

Intellectually it ticks me off people want to be so intrusive as to tell ME what I should do when they can't manage their own damn life.

Short answer, it's my decision and too bad if you don't like it.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
When you do a poll, don't try and answer the choice for us! No, I don't think people should have to work longer, but it has nothing to do with making room for the younger generations. Retirement should be a personal choice where each person decides when to do so based on factors such as health and financial status. There are other factors to be considered, such as liking what you do, fullfilment with your job and many more. For me, it was being financially set at 60. Once that goal was achieved, I saw no need or reason to continue working, as I wanted those early old age years to be spent on activities that I might not be able to do when I get to the next old age stage.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:21 AM

591 posts, read 247,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In all honesty, I don't think it's anyone else's business what I chose to do or not do. If I choose to work and save and retire at 58, then I get to retire at 58. If I don't want to I don't have to.

Intellectually it ticks me off people want to be so intrusive as to tell ME what I should do when they can't manage their own damn life.

I agree, but hopefully you don't think the person who created the poll or anyone else in this thread are telling you how long to work. But yes, when you hear in the media that everyone will work longer, or it is stated "you" will work longer, it is bothersome. But you just have to ignore it. It is easy to take that the wrong way.

I hear more nonsense from family and friends about how long I should be working and what I should do. But, ultimately, they can take a hike

Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 AM

71,464 posts, read 71,652,652 times
all these polls and surveys stink and don't reflect much .

people do what they want to do and just make things work for better or worse. in fact there is not one official survey today that even knows financially what we all have .

financial info was removed from the census so we have random sampling and a whole lot of guessing .

quite frankly i couldn't care less what anyone else has or does not have . it is enough of a chore to worry about keeping myself on track .

but for many who want a better life style or feel they are under funded then delaying retiring can be quite a silver bullet .

yeah , i know not everyone can or will want to work longer , i get that . but as i said if you think working longer at 62 or finding a job at 62 is rough try it at 80 .

the benefits of working longer can be huge .

no spending of assets from 62 to 70

still saving and contributing to retirement plans instead of spending

growing your ss benefit by 6% from 62 to fra and 8% after that .

8 more years of compounding on what you do have

potentially you can need very expensive health insurance coverage from 62 to medicare if on your own

8 years less of life to support .

delaying really can be a silver bullet that can be the equal of saving another 800k to 1 million dollars . many folks do not realize just how much delaying retiring can equate in dollars to them or their spouse .

but what we all do is our own individual choice, but you do need all the facts to make an informed decision .

i went part time at 60 and retired at 62 . but i still do some stretch's of consulting work from time to time since i enjoy it ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2017 at 03:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,738,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I agree and never know what drives the need to give details about personal history, whether anonymous or not. Or the need to ask.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:35 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Water is free if you don't buy bottled water. Lot cheaper/healthier than Coke.

Fruit takes no prep time. Costs me less than $1 for fruit for lunch.

Broccoli, Green beans, carrots are all about $1.50/lb. Yes it takes some prep time to steam them but they are a lot cheaper than a McD burger and fries.

Minestrone soup costs us about $10 for a pot of 4-5 qts of soup, made from scratch. Feeds 2 of us for at least 2 nights. Again, it is cheaper than burgers and healthier.

I don't really agree that it is more expensive to eat healthier.
A lot of that is based on where you live.

I lived in Indiana for three years until August. We had wonderful farmer's markets and numerous grocery stores - having a lot of things available locally and numerous shopping options kept costs low. I think raw green beans this summer at a small, regional supermarket chain that bought a lot of local products were about $.50/lb. Milk could be had for $1.50/gallon. There was a wide variety of produce available, both at the farmer's market and at the stores. A person could eat healthy at a very reasonable cost.

Here in Tennessee, it's much different. Much less is grown locally. We have far less competition in grocery stores, leading to higher prices and a lower selection. Many items I had gotten used to Indiana are simply unavailable here. Cheap milk is about $4/gallon - those beans, $2-$3/lb if you can find them. The Bird's Eye frozen vegetables that were a buck in Indiana are at least two bucks here. It's much harder and more expensive to eat healthy here.

Of course, the McDouble is $.99 in both locations.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:41 AM

71,464 posts, read 71,652,652 times
our food bill here in ny jumped up drastically once i had to go on a more healthier diet being diabetic .

Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
I think people should WORK as long as they want to.. PERIOD. its a personal choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or