Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: People are living longer, so they should work a full time job longer.
Yes, in most cases, I think that is true 27 24.32%
Maybe but only people who work in white collar non physical jobs 23 20.72%
NO! Because there is a shortage of jobs and lets give the young people a chance to work at them 61 54.95%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What about the ones w/o kids?
Heck, what about the ones whose kids are already living with THEM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
The media tells us we are all living longer. There has also been lots of news stories about the glories of working until your 70s. It use to be the media loved to talk about the glories of early retirement but their narrative has changed and now they glorify people who work in their retirement. Their logic is: People are living longer so they should work longer.

On an intellectual and emotional analysis, what do you think about the viewpoint that because people are living longer, they should work full time longer?
It makes perfect sense.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:18 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,918,985 times
I plan to keep working until I'm a hundred and twenty five!

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
I don't think that most people are wanted in the workforce after about age 55. Many employers do everything they can to get older employees to leave, including laying them off.

I am now 70. I am so thankful I did not have to work until age 65, 67 or more to retire. While I don't think I am worn out now, I do think I was worn down. It gets harder to work when one gets past 55. At least it did for me. DH found it hard at the end as well.

It is interesting that "experts" advise us to work as long as possible, but economic forces push us to retire.

And, the demands of the younger generation notwithstanding, there is a smaller percentage of working age adults in the work force now than in decades. Many, many younger workers are in jail or simply not working. At least that is what I hear. So, there are already fewer workers supporting more retirees.

You can make an argument for retiring early or retiring late. I think it is up to the individual and his or her circumstances.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 PM

34,943 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Apparently you are unaware of the correlation between Human Adenovirus 36 and obesity. And the fact that Human Adenovirus 36 is not the only virus known to be associated with obesity, its just the one that has been most studied in the USA.

The virus causes damage to the metabolic system that results in your glands telling your body to store fat at inappropriate times.

The "obesity crisis" exactly correlates with the increasing prevalence of antibodies to the virus in the bloodstream in the general population.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517116/

Time to give up the last acceptable form of bigotry - the denigration, dehumanization, and revilement of "fat"

As for your incorrect understanding of the way SS is funded - the truth of the matter is that however many "updates" you think there have been to the SS tax, it has NOT kept up with inflation.

Seriously. 23 updates in 80 years, even if that were factual, doesn't come close to it keeping pace with inflation.
He may be uncouth3, but he isn't wrong.

Many of us have desk jobs these days. I got up at 7:15 this morning. Aside from a few steps I took to the restroom and the fridge when I woke up in the middle of the night, I had less than 500 steps by noon. That's walking around the house this morning, getting in my car, car to office building, and probably one break in the morning. I could literally do less than 1000 steps and get through a day.

I see lots of staff in the same sedentary job situation I'm in bring in Hardee's and McDonald's biscuits in the morning, along with a can of classic Coke loaded with HFCS from home. That could easily be 1000 calories by the time they get in at 8. You'll often see those same people with fast food take in at lunch.

We're fortunate in the sense that we have a paved city trail behind the office which runs for miles. If you walk across the KMart lot beside our office, eat at McAllisters Deli in the next shopping center, then walk around the back of the shopping center on the paved trail back to the office, that's 1.5 miles with a healthy lunch if you choose. You can order, have your food, and have eaten in thirty minutes. If you go outside of the noon lunch hour, there is an Olive Garden, Chili's, Fazoli's, and Buffalo Wild Wings that are generally easy to get in and out of, and I can walk to each of them.

Almost no one in my office takes advantage of these walking opportunities. People are unbelievably sedentary anymore. We drive to work, sit all day, then come home and sit more in front of the tube or PC. It's no wonder we're fat.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
I have two family members who plan to work till 70, so it's possible. New medicine prolongs life so it's possible. I don't envy them but they have desk job.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-10-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
I know one thing: when I retire and get my pension (at which point I hope to have 4-5 properties paid off or paying for themselves), I am not going back to work! Note, this should all happen before I'm 50 based on the current path that I'm on.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Working or Retiring should not be the ONLY answers, there are so many 'better' things to do with your 'experienced' life, that will also help humanity / your community.

If you want to work, by all means keep it up,

US would be FAR ahead offering stuff like tax credits and healthcare to citizens who participate in training the subsequent generations. Or... those who would (and could) restore WPA projects that are falling in disrepair.

So many great opportunities, so little vision (on the part of US gov)

Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 AM

106,238 posts, read 108,237,907 times
should worker longer or could work longer are two different issues . retirement was never a right , it is a privileged for those who can afford not to work any more .

if one can work and is underfunded working longer can be the equal of saving 800- 1 million additional dollars . whether they could or would is a personal choice .

Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,754,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
The media tells us we are all living longer. There has also been lots of news stories about the glories of working until your 70s. It use to be the media loved to talk about the glories of early retirement but their narrative has changed and now they glorify people who work in their retirement. Their logic is: People are living longer so they should work longer.

On an intellectual and emotional analysis, what do you think about the viewpoint that because people are living longer, they should work full time longer?

And do you think the most Americans have the energy and general heath to work full time into their late 60s and early 70s?
I'd agree ONLY if:

1. Everyone drove correctly (Not drinking, using drugs, road raging etc)
2. Genetics were changed so all of us live to 100+ (No cancer, diabetes. Would like to live to 110 and then drop dead no lingering illness)
3. Everyone is fit and gets exercise and quit smoking, drinking to excess.

OK, that's my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement