U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM
 
997 posts, read 579,806 times
Reputation: 2290

Advertisements

It doesn't seem like a good fit for you.

They are nosy and intrusive and you don't really get a discount but they pry anyway.

They kitten was a temporary emergency situation that you were above board about.

You were being honest and not sneaky, but you are kind of treated with disrespect in my opinion. You are an adult.

Maybe you do like it there and there are many good qualities that you failed to mention, but maybe it is time to find a new angle and a better situation.

P.S. I could easily blow through that much money in a year without even blinking. I am sure most of us could, so I don't understand why a comment from a stranger is appropriate. You don't know these people and they are not your friends. They have no interest in you as a person, only as a source of income for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
Reputation: 10513
Nygal, not quite sure how to respond to this. I am glad you're getting the attorney general involved. They are there to protect us & I know ours does a good job.

What gets me is: I bought new tires for my car & had to replace the windshield. These were not cheap but, as you know, you don't mess around in cold weather climates. This would not have been of interest to management. But, where did my money go?

Seriously, if she'd looked close to the investment statement it's quite obvious where my money went.

You might want to think about putting that extra $300 into a retirement account. I think that those of us who have been working all our lives should get some breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM
 
8,978 posts, read 8,115,335 times
Reputation: 19497
Quote:
The money comment threw me for a loop. I can understand, to a point, that she may have thought I was hiding assets, except the statement from my investment company should have been self evident. I think they can only go by what's in the bank. I'm not positive though. I'll make sure she gets a copy of the bank statement when I next see her.
No they go by your total assets, which will include any money you own, either in bank accounts, investment accounts, and hidden in your mattress. Even if it is in an investment account, it is still money you have control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 04:26 PM
 
2,676 posts, read 1,073,752 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Today was the day we had to turn in paperwork for this years rent payment. Well, last year I had finally gotten a settlement for a car accident & didn't have time to get it set up for an investment fund prior to the rental calculation for the years rent so rent went up $50 per month.

Shortly after I did get it set up & have been living very frugally so I can keep it for emergencies & moving expenses as I thought I might move somewhere warmer.

The manager called later & I guess I forgot to include my savings account (I thought I had). She asked what it was & I said, $20+. She said, do you mean that you blew through all that money? I said no, I'd put it into my investment fund.

OK, I can see where she had to ask where it went but it was evident from the last years paperwork that the investment fund had grown.

I'm probably just being overly sensitive but, to me, it sounded accusatory.

I did ask her about my moving & what was required. Only a months notice thankfully. I told her I was planning on looking into Tennessee but not until March or April. There's a waiting list here so no problem there.

There was one problem I caused just a while ago. Someone dropped off a kitten behind the little store I go to & it eventually followed me home. Yes, I should have probably not fed it, but I did. The store folks & I were looking for a home for it.

Long story shorter, one of my neighbors helper helped me catch the kitten & she brought her to a new home but it appears my neighbors were not happy I had been feeding her.

I don't know. Just venting about the day I guess.
In my senior's apt building, we learn not to expect anything but the bare minimum from the administration department. And that way we do not depend upon them to make helpful changes to their routines thereby avoiding worry and disappointment on a regular basis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
Reputation: 10513
Thanks, old trader. I certainly don't mind paying full value for the apartment. It was just the way she said it that got my ire up. I'll have to develop a thicker skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
Reputation: 10513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
It doesn't seem like a good fit for you.

They are nosy and intrusive and you don't really get a discount but they pry anyway.

They kitten was a temporary emergency situation that you were above board about.

You were being honest and not sneaky, but you are kind of treated with disrespect in my opinion. You are an adult.

Maybe you do like it there and there are many good qualities that you failed to mention, but maybe it is time to find a new angle and a better situation.

P.S. I could easily blow through that much money in a year without even blinking. I am sure most of us could, so I don't understand why a comment from a stranger is appropriate. You don't know these people and they are not your friends. They have no interest in you as a person, only as a source of income for them.
You are right. It's a long story, which I've previously posted but I'll try to keep it short.
Was laid off at 55. Did temp work it it was the beginning of the recession.
Filed for bankruptcy-the house was the only rel liability
Woman ran a red light & crashed me into a steel barrier
Wound up at mother/sister's house, thankfully, as mother soon died
Had a back operation for injuries from car accident
Moved to senior building
Received money from car accident
Son died a year & 1/2 after I moved here

And that's it. It took me a long time to learn to walk again but I can walk now with a cane or walker. It's time to move on. I have a hard time dealing with the mentally here.

J am thankful I was given the opportunity to live here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Reputation: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Nygal, not quite sure how to respond to this. I am glad you're getting the attorney general involved. They are there to protect us & I know ours does a good job.

What gets me is: I bought new tires for my car & had to replace the windshield. These were not cheap but, as you know, you don't mess around in cold weather climates. This would not have been of interest to management. But, where did my money go?

Seriously, if she'd looked close to the investment statement it's quite obvious where my money went.

You might want to think about putting that extra $300 into a retirement account. I think that those of us who have been working all our lives should get some breaks.
That is a great suggestion. Unfortunately, I need it to help with expenses (debt). No true "extra" to put away for a rainy day. It is a nice thought, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,743 posts, read 4,374,478 times
Reputation: 10403
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You are right. It's a long story, which I've previously posted but I'll try to keep it short.
Was laid off at 55. Did temp work it it was the beginning of the recession.
Filed for bankruptcy-the house was the only rel liability
Woman ran a red light & crashed me into a steel barrier
Wound up at mother/sister's house, thankfully, as mother soon died
Had a back operation for injuries from car accident
Moved to senior building
Received money from car accident
Son died a year & 1/2 after I moved here

And that's it. It took me a long time to learn to walk again but I can walk now with a cane or walker. It's time to move on. I have a hard time dealing with the mentally here.

J am thankful I was given the opportunity to live here though.
WOW! You most certainly have gone through a difficult time. My heart goes out to you. Your story sounds similar to my own. I moved out here because there was no affordable senior/handicapped housing in my home town at the time, but there was an opening in this town that I applied for and got accepted to. Man, they ran that place like Nazi's! They inspected every month and you'd get written up if there was dust on top of your doors. I kid you not. I got into a big argument with them over the pet deposit on my cat. They said I hadn't paid the full deposit when they suddenly raised the amount from one month to the next without warning and gave me no time to set aside the extra money in my budget (my income is so small, it would make a mouse blush). Because of this disagreement, they put me on 30 days notice to vacate the premises. I got really upset and wrote a letter of protest to the Head of the Housing Authority 400 miles away in Denver. They granted me a hearing and a mediator traveled all the way out from Denver to hear both sides of the story, and I actually ended up winning my appeal! After that they awarded me a housing voucher because they still wanted to get rid of me, and I was glad to go with my voucher in hand.

BTW, I hate January myself because my Dad who I was very close to died in January 20 years ago. Every single January since has been nothing but bad news. I'm a pretty stoic person who seldom cries, but when I do cry, it's almost always in January. These sad anniversaries can be very, very hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
Reputation: 35310
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks for all the support.

The thing about the kitten is that I was above board about it & posted in the community room that store staff & I were looking for a home for it. The neighbors saw that I was feeding it & management could have told me it was 'discouraged' at any time.

The money comment threw me for a loop. I can understand, to a point, that she may have thought I was hiding assets, except the statement from my investment company should have been self evident. I think they can only go by what's in the bank. I'm not positive though. I'll make sure she gets a copy of the bank statement when I next see her.
Don't ever offer more documents than they ask for. Just gives them and you more stress.

Subsidized senior housing seems to really vary as far as good management. I've been in two so far, and one was really well-maintained, the one I'm in now is horrible as far as maintenance. I haven't liked management in either one. But, at least the first one was run professionally for the most part. On my second manager where I am now in Podunk, CA, and you can't get good help here.

The upside to living in govt subsidized housing, is they can't kick you out without cause, and they have to give you a bunch of chances to fix whatever you're doing wrong, with options for mediators, etc., etc. Unless you are doing something on a short list of things you can get immediately evicted for, it pretty much takes an act of Congress to get you kicked out.

What that gives you, is the safety to complain lol.

Don't ever let go of that voucher. It gives you the freedom to move anywhere. You might be on a waiting list for awhile, but you could move to San Francisco and pay 30% of your measly income. Probably a bad example, as the waiting list is probably a lifetime long lol. But, you get the idea.

I think they're better in bigger cities, though, where there are a lot of fair housing organizations to help people. Here in Podunk, there aren't any resources like that, and the Housing Authority is worthless as an advocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,977 posts, read 3,464,691 times
Reputation: 10513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
It doesn't seem like a good fit for you.

They are nosy and intrusive and you don't really get a discount but they pry anyway.

They kitten was a temporary emergency situation that you were above board about.

You were being honest and not sneaky, but you are kind of treated with disrespect in my opinion. You are an adult.

Maybe you do like it there and there are many good qualities that you failed to mention, but maybe it is time to find a new angle and a better situation.

P.S. I could easily blow through that much money in a year without even blinking. I am sure most of us could, so I don't understand why a comment from a stranger is appropriate. You don't know these people and they are not your friends. They have no interest in you as a person, only as a source of income for them.
You are totally correct. I will be moving to a warmer climate, probably buying a mobile home. I'm still investigating at this point. Planning on visiting Tennessee & Florida this spring & making a decision at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top