U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times

Advertisements

I did find out that they were upset because the whole cat thing had the board call a special meeting to include cats as Emotional Support Animals. I guess I caused havoc. Too bad it wasn't soon enough for me to keep the kitten. I do have diagnosed depression so I could have gotten her certified.

Just shows me another reason I don't want to stay, but I am glad that was put in motion.

Oh, & my rent went down $30 per month, which was good.

Beware, wherever I move. I do fight back, lol. Or, I should probably say, I'm a trouble maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I did find out that they were upset because the whole cat thing had the board call a special meeting to include cats as Emotional Support Animals. I guess I caused havoc. Too bad it wasn't soon enough for me to keep the kitten. I do have diagnosed depression so I could have gotten her certified.

Just shows me another reason I don't want to stay, but I am glad that was put in motion.

Oh, & my rent went down $30 per month, which was good.

Beware, wherever I move. I do fight back, lol. Or, I should probably say, I'm a trouble maker.
LOL, I've been labeled a troublemaker, too. But, it's so frustrating! I ask nicely. Again and again and again...and then all the stops come out.

It seems like most of the professional world out there is lazy. There's just no other explanation for letting some really obvious problems go. What I have learned is that it needs to become more of a hassle to deal with me, than putting me off. Squeaky wheel and all that.

It's really tiring, though. But, the alternative is to accept living in a slum.

I've been shopping online tonight for my new home. It's exhausting. There are a lot of places out there that are required to take Section 8, who find ways to put you off if you have a voucher. I know that's what is happening, and it's so frustrating. But, I just don't have the energy to fight them. What this means is that I will be looking at the less desirable places who don't hassle you.

For the most part, I'm okay with being low-income, as my needs are pretty simple. But, tonight I sure wish I had the money to move into a nice place with decent management. Sigh.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:50 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times
NoMoreSnowForMe: Living in a nicer place does not guarantee decent management. If you have read any of my posts regarding the senior complex I live in, you will see the reality of that. Unfortunately!

Old 01-14-2017, 11:19 AM

This is why I'm thinking of a mobile home. I'd still have lot rent but maybe more privacy.

I will be looking at a senior apartment in Cookeville though. At least I could have a cat there. I'm not certain about Florida senior buildings. The mobile homes I saw on line were really cheap. But, you never know until you actually are there. So I'll see.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:40 PM

4,740 posts, read 4,366,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL, I've been labeled a troublemaker, too. But, it's so frustrating! I ask nicely. Again and again and again...and then all the stops come out.

It seems like most of the professional world out there is lazy. There's just no other explanation for letting some really obvious problems go. What I have learned is that it needs to become more of a hassle to deal with me, than putting me off. Squeaky wheel and all that.

It's really tiring, though. But, the alternative is to accept living in a slum.

I've been shopping online tonight for my new home. It's exhausting. There are a lot of places out there that are required to take Section 8, who find ways to put you off if you have a voucher. I know that's what is happening, and it's so frustrating. But, I just don't have the energy to fight them. What this means is that I will be looking at the less desirable places who don't hassle you.

For the most part, I'm okay with being low-income, as my needs are pretty simple. But, tonight I sure wish I had the money to move into a nice place with decent management. Sigh.
Oh, I think my picture must be up in every post office in the country, I'm such a troublemaker! It just seems like no matter who your landlord is - HUD, Section 8, the Rural Housing Development Agency, or a private landlord - they all seem to do as little as possible while enforcing rules that make no sense - especially if you happen to be low income and older. I have become an expert at researching the rules for both the Housing Authority and SSI/SSDI for the disabled and Social Security. What the heck? I have nothing better to do with my time than make sure that I (and everyone else) gets treated fairly under the law. If the woman who runs the local Housing Authority doesn't know her agency's own rules, she deserves what she gets if she has a run in with me! Both my animals are Certified Companion Animals and since I'm disabled, I get to deduct the cost of their upkeep from the 30% of my income that I pay for my rent. This really helps. You guys should see if you are eligible for such a deduction, as well.

I find it very difficult to be low income because what I get from Social Security is so little that if anything out of the usual comes up - a higher than normal electric bill, a computer repair or a lost cell phone and I end up on the ropes financially. I require very little, but I now live in a remote rural area, 7 miles from town and 1/2 mile from my nearest neighbor. Plus, I don't have a vehicle. So, I need a cell phone that works and access to the Internet is very important to me. I don't have a TV or cable service, so I get my entertainment from the Net, and more importantly, it allows me to maintain contact with the rest of the world like you ladies on this forum tonight. I wish us all a decent place to live, animals to love, and friends IRL and on the Internet, as well!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, I think my picture must be up in every post office in the country, I'm such a troublemaker! It just seems like no matter who your landlord is - HUD, Section 8, the Rural Housing Development Agency, or a private landlord - they all seem to do as little as possible while enforcing rules that make no sense - especially if you happen to be low income and older. I have become an expert at researching the rules for both the Housing Authority and SSI/SSDI for the disabled and Social Security. What the heck? I have nothing better to do with my time than make sure that I (and everyone else) gets treated fairly under the law. If the woman who runs the local Housing Authority doesn't know her agency's own rules, she deserves what she gets if she has a run in with me! Both my animals are Certified Companion Animals and since I'm disabled, I get to deduct the cost of their upkeep from the 30% of my income that I pay for my rent. This really helps. You guys should see if you are eligible for such a deduction, as well.

I find it very difficult to be low income because what I get from Social Security is so little that if anything out of the usual comes up - a higher than normal electric bill, a computer repair or a lost cell phone and I end up on the ropes financially. I require very little, but I now live in a remote rural area, 7 miles from town and 1/2 mile from my nearest neighbor. Plus, I don't have a vehicle. So, I need a cell phone that works and access to the Internet is very important to me. I don't have a TV or cable service, so I get my entertainment from the Net, and more importantly, it allows me to maintain contact with the rest of the world like you ladies on this forum tonight. I wish us all a decent place to live, animals to love, and friends IRL and on the Internet, as well!
Dang! I didn't know about the deduction for a service dog. Great info. My income is so low, I'm not sure it would matter now, but I'm hoping to start making money with my crafts. If I ever get in the black, I could use this deduction. Thanks so much for this info!

I totally understand how you can get messed up with the occasional unexpected expense. I saved up to get a brake job done on my truck, get the fan belt tightened and oil change, etc. A week later and the darn fan belt is squealing again. Probably need a new one. I'm putting it off hoping it will magically just stop squealing...

Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 AM

I'm lucky/unlucky with my income. Lucky because I do have investment income I can count on. Unlucky because it came from a settlement from a car accident & I am limited in what I can do. Personally I would rather have my back than the money.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could live in a cooperative building & be a support for each other?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM

4,740 posts, read 4,366,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm lucky/unlucky with my income. Lucky because I do have investment income I can count on. Unlucky because it came from a settlement from a car accident & I am limited in what I can do. Personally I would rather have my back than the money.

Wouldn't it be neat if we could live in a cooperative building & be a support for each other?
It would be great! We could all be like The Golden Girls or something - only better! Looks like we come from all over the US, but I'd be happy to leave Colorado for a nice co-op building in a friendly little community where the weather is not so extreme. Colorado has next to no affordable housing these days, because it has become such a magnet for out-of-staters. The Colorado governor gave this big old speech the other day about building more affordable housing in Denver. That's nice. But we rural folks are getting priced out of decent housing, too, thanks to the influx of energy exploitation companies around here. That's how I ended up in this place way out in the country - it was all I could afford. It's OK in the summer, but the winters out here suck. Still there are far too many folks out there who have no place to live at all, so I consider myself lucky.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Well, I don't think it's actually possible for a group of people to live stress-free. Group dynamics are challenging. I'd settle for a good landlord LOL.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times
I have tried having a roommate at different stages of my life. Trying to help a friend out in their time of need; maybe some extra income for me; solve the loneliness issue.

Unfortunately, I am not cut out for a roommate. While I might struggle at times with the loneliness, I have found a solution for it. Get in the car and go somewhere. Doesn't matter where. Cheap place for coffee, walk around the mall, grocery store. Walk outdoors when weather allows.

But a roommate is a roommate and for me.... it's just too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement