U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM

4,966 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm the same. It was really difficult for me to live with my sister. I've been alone for many years & I like it like tat.

Oh well, it's the thought that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM

4,572 posts, read 7,055,913 times
My dear friend who is 87 is going to be moving into 55plus/HUD/Section 8 apartment complex and I'm very worried for her. She's always lived in "luxury" places, when her husband died things changed and now she qualifies to live there and needs to move. I want to be positive about this but I'm afraid she's not prepared for this big change.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 PM

That is going to be tough for her at her age. BUT-it may be a positive. There may be card groups or seniors doing things together.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 PM

19,832 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
My dear friend who is 87 is going to be moving into 55plus/HUD/Section 8 apartment complex and I'm very worried for her. She's always lived in "luxury" places, when her husband died things changed and now she qualifies to live there and needs to move. I want to be positive about this but I'm afraid she's not prepared for this big change.
It might depend on the state she lives in. I've seen some horrible ones here in Mass. Four hundred square ft or less, tiny bathroom, combo kitchen and living room. And rules, rules, rules.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
400 sq feet would feel like a mansion to me. My tiny studio apt is 115 square feet!

It's amazing, though, how you can adapt. When I move this next time, though, I won't accept a studio. I'm going to hold out for a 1 bedroom.

I function pretty well in this small space, but I am now doing crafts and it's just frustrating. I put stuff on my bed when I'm working on projects, but then have to move them to get into bed LOL. You just can barely turn around in here.

For those who are lonely, having a pet really helps. I can't do roommates - unless I can put them in a crate when they misbehave :-)

Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Wherever I move I am going to make sure I can have a cat. The one that caused all the problems was so sweet. There are so many people here who just want a cat, so I feel I've done some good.

I think I'll always miss that cat though. She was so sweet. And smart.

There was one cat I had that I'll never forget. He was an older cat & when I went to the shelter, he wouldn't let any other cat near me in the viewing room. But he did not want me to pet him. I chose him because he seemed determined to come with me.

He wouldn't even come out of hiding for a few days when I got him home, but, in the end that cat was devoted to me. I remember once when I was sick, that cat laid next to me until I was well.

I did not feel bad about his passing as I knew he'd had a good life with me.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:19 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I don't know if you have any type of disability, but if you do, it may be possible for you to have your doctor put in writing that you would benefit by having a pet for your therapy, etc. Then, you can have a cat based on a need due to your disability, which landlords can't deny you for having.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,366,460 times
NoMoreSnow is right about you're having a cat, Meo. My local center for Independence for those with disabilities gave me a form letter that I showed to my doctor. I'd even filled in the blanks for him already with my personal information and such. All he had to do was sign it which he was nice enough to go ahead and do. If you're ever interested now or later, DM me and I can send you a blank copy of the form authorizing a companion animal for a disabled person. My GP was the one who signed for me.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 AM

I realize I got the ball rolling but it has left such

a bad taste in my mouth that I will be moving. Somewhere warmer, Tennessee or Florida.

I cannot get that sweet kitten back & I would rather get a shelter cat once I've moved. That sweet kitten would have had a hard time traveling.

I plan on buying a mobile home or if I need to rent an apartment it will be one that allows cats.

But I thank you for the information Colorado Rambler.

I miss that kitten so much.

And yes, I have depression & have medication to handle it so it comes under the heading of disabilities, as well as my injuries from the car accident.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-17-2017 at 12:32 AM..

Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 AM

4,660 posts, read 3,239,300 times
meo92953: Something I learned very sadly is that the cat I loved so dearly did not travel well and died about a month or two following the trip. She did have some medical issues, was not a kitten, so hopefully any cat you adopt will be much healthier and more adaptable to riding in the car.

One thing I would advise is to teach your new kitty to walk on a leash and take her/him out for rides in the car to acclimate him to it.

They are just not like dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement