U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,457,347 times

Advertisements

Today was the day we had to turn in paperwork for this years rent payment. Well, last year I had finally gotten a settlement for a car accident & didn't have time to get it set up for an investment fund prior to the rental calculation for the years rent so rent went up $50 per month.

Shortly after I did get it set up & have been living very frugally so I can keep it for emergencies & moving expenses as I thought I might move somewhere warmer.

The manager called later & I guess I forgot to include my savings account (I thought I had). She asked what it was & I said, $20+. She said, do you mean that you blew through all that money? I said no, I'd put it into my investment fund.

OK, I can see where she had to ask where it went but it was evident from the last years paperwork that the investment fund had grown.

I'm probably just being overly sensitive but, to me, it sounded accusatory.

I did ask her about my moving & what was required. Only a months notice thankfully. I told her I was planning on looking into Tennessee but not until March or April. There's a waiting list here so no problem there.

There was one problem I caused just a while ago. Someone dropped off a kitten behind the little store I go to & it eventually followed me home. Yes, I should have probably not fed it, but I did. The store folks & I were looking for a home for it.

Long story shorter, one of my neighbors helper helped me catch the kitten & she brought her to a new home but it appears my neighbors were not happy I had been feeding her.

I don't know. Just venting about the day I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Sorry everyone. For a moment I forgot it is the first anniversary of my son's death & I'm not myself. Way too touchy. I apologize.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
It's good that you're aware of where your feelings are coming from. Of course this day of rememberance would ache, more than others. Thinking of you.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
You're not being overly sensitive.

The manager was probably just irritated that she had to do complicated paperwork because of the changes. If you're in housing where they can only evict you for good cause, and you haven't received any warnings from management about feeding strays, then don't worry about it. They have to give you warnings and give you lots of chances to address any written warnings.

Who cares if your neighbor is irritated with you. There seems to be an abundance of grumpy seniors in affordable senior housing. Ask me how I know LOL.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Don't worry. Sad anniversaries are really hard and you are just more sensitive than usual.
Although sometimes these apartment managers in senior apartments can get on anyone's nerves.They can be pretty disrespectful too. And those places seem to attract grumpy neighbors who have nothing better to do that be tattletales like little kids.

Set your sights on the next move and happier times.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 PM

444 posts, read 281,483 times
One of those days, Meo. We all have them, and as you say, there's usually an unrelated explanation. Sometimes we're lucky enough to have the grumps on a day when nothing is scheduled, lock the door, and if pressed, peer out the window and deny being home,

Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Hi Meo. This is a very sad time for you. Especially the first anniversary of your son's death.

Take a deep breath and give yourself a break. You are feeling what most of us feel when those anniversaries come around.

Apartment managers can be very grumpy. On the flip side of what others have mentioned, I was thinking their jobs aren't the easiest. There are unfortunately too many people who do try to cheat the system. She might have just dealt with one or two of them. I guess if we can have bad days, they can too.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,053,602 times
That is a bad way to ask the question, if it even had to be asked.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the support.

The thing about the kitten is that I was above board about it & posted in the community room that store staff & I were looking for a home for it. The neighbors saw that I was feeding it & management could have told me it was 'discouraged' at any time.

The money comment threw me for a loop. I can understand, to a point, that she may have thought I was hiding assets, except the statement from my investment company should have been self evident. I think they can only go by what's in the bank. I'm not positive though. I'll make sure she gets a copy of the bank statement when I next see her.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks for all the support.

The thing about the kitten is that I was above board about it & posted in the community room that store staff & I were looking for a home for it. The neighbors saw that I was feeding it & management could have told me it was 'discouraged' at any time.

The money comment threw me for a loop. I can understand, to a point, that she may have thought I was hiding assets, except the statement from my investment company should have been self evident. I think they can only go by what's in the bank. I'm not positive though. I'll make sure she gets a copy of the bank statement when I next see her.
I live in an apartment complex that I moved into 5+ years ago. At that time it was low-income and subsidized apartments for senior/handicapped. I did not qualify for subsidy since I was $300 over the yearly income limit.

Have recently learned that they now say they "never were" low income, for which I've involved NY attorney general and still waiting to hear back from them. There are other things management has done that are not "right" and hoping it all gets taken care of.

At any rate, this place wants to know about every last penny we have or get. However, the one thing that is really grinding me is a resident I know told me she pays subsidy rent (quite a bit lower than I pay) but happens to have $70,000+ in investments. I have a little more than $6,000 in assets. So in my case, I am envious (jealous?) about the difference. But it is legal and the law.

Just another version of affordable housing. I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement