U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:40 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,563,546 times

Advertisements

Can you post pictures on City-Data? I don't remember seeing any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 19,314 times
Just returned from a cruise, saw lots of over 60 women with this type of bottom for swimwear.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:42 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,020,710 times
It's important to get sunlight and the more exposure to sunlight directly, the better. Wear a bikini.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 AM

3,522 posts, read 1,561,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox54 View Post
Just returned from a cruise, saw lots of over 60 women with this type of bottom for swimwear.

Really? I've never seen that. Looks like bicycle shorts---so clingy they don't hide much, if that's what the wearers are after. I've seen more little skirt-things for the camouflage look.

I keep telling myself, no one cares!

Yeah, I don't know how to post pictures here either. I think its my antique laptop....

Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 AM

26 posts, read 19,314 times
"I keep telling myself, no one cares!"

On a cruise ship, you see all ages in all sorts of swimwear. There were also women in their 70's in bikini's & men in their 70's in speedo's. No one gave them a 2nd glance, it was a vacation - they were having a great time & that is all that matters.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,590,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
The Athleta catalog, or Athleta.com, sell boardshorts in different lengths. I have a couple of pairs of Bermuda (knee length) shorts in swimsuit fabric that I wore when I was surfing and bodyboarding, because typical women's swimsuits are prone to "wardrobe malfunctions".

If I'm not going to be in the surf, I wear a tankini top with boy shorts bottoms or one of those short swim skirts. I'm 60, fit and trim from daily workouts. But, I think I"d feel like "mutton dressed as lamb" going out in public in a bikini.
For other reasons I don't swim. I might occasionally if a pool was available, but it would be cool to have a shallow pool you can just soak in. But when it gets hot, I go to wearing tank tops and 'boy'shorts'. I keep a shirt available inside when the AC is on to wear, and a pair of jeans to go outside. But I can't stand being 'overdressed' when its hot.

I find that when I try to 'dress up' I have to search. Mostly I like 'commfy casual'. I have a pair of sandles for going out in the summer. Outside I wear last winter's warm boots, which by then have stretched out to being really loose. I use them doing stuff in the yard too. I'll also 'dress up' by wearing some of the really cool boots I have in the summer. The over the knee laceups were this years treat and I can't wait to find a time :-) REAL English riding boots.

I was never much for worrying about what was 'in style' and generally wore what I liked other than when I was working, and then had a suit. I haven't had one on for a long time and suspect it would feel like a costume. Maybe add a lace up vest??

Mostly I found that when my last 'real' job ended, I put the uniforms (suits) in the closet and didn't wear them anymore. I dress like I feel even if its not the most conventional. I am prone to wear laced vests just because I love them. And unless I have to wear shoes, I have a good supply of boots.

I still remember the end of the last job, and taking all the 'work' stuff and putting it away, and the joy of being able to dress like me and adverising me and the knowledge that the people who matter are the ones who like you as you REALLY are.

If your older and want to take a swim, find a suit you like, whatever the style, and get it in your favorite color, and get a fluffy colorful beach towel to go with it and do your stuff. This applies in other things too, of course. If the people you meet like the new you, then you've moved past the 'role uniform' we wore then and they can get to know the real human being without their uniform.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM

16,023 posts, read 19,745,966 times
I found a great article that has some links embedded to sites that offer great suits and cover-up ideas for our over 60 crowd.

I like to buy a pair of white or off white baggy draw string waist pants for a cover up....and wear a loose open denim shirt over my top...

Go get yourself a spray tan, and a cute hair cut or trim and a summery pedicure and manicure...And live it up!

I'm happy that you soon get to be enjoying the sand and surf. It is currently 20 degrees, a nice balmy day after a week of -30 up /north where I live. Enjoy some sun for me Girlfriend!

How to Find Flattering Bathing Suits for Older Women

Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,781,322 times
OP, just remember the old song and you'll be fine:

"I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to."

Oh Well
Fleetwood Mac

Old 01-15-2017, 10:40 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,015,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
If you don't have the body for a swimsuit, for god sake, don't wear one. Please spare others eyeballs.
If you don't want to see, DON'T LOOK. I could not care less what you think is damaging to your eyeballs. I'm not curtailing my fun (perfectly legal, moral, everyday kind of fun) just because you think you shouldn't have to see people you think "don't have the body for a swimsuit".

Bigotry based on looks is no more acceptable than bigotry based on skin color.

I'm old, fat, and saggy. Get over it

If you're not already all three yourself, you will soon enough be at least 2 of the 3.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement