U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:48 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times

Advertisements

follow your username "whocares811"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 07:48 AM

676 posts, read 333,791 times
Your aging body is not offensive. Anyone who thinks it is will be in for a rude awakening when their body starts to age. It is unfortunate that the society in which we live places so much emphasis on how we look. Like you, I try hard to stay fit and trim and that should be enough. I have seen many older women who were a marvel of health and wellness and all of that shone right through the sags and wrinkles.

You've got to believe that you have just as much right to enjoy the beach as the 20 something bikini model a few blankets down. It's O.K. that you don't look as good as her. You had your youth and now it's time to pass the baton. She will do the same when she is an older woman.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 AM

1,187 posts, read 809,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Here's the thing I've learned in my 65 years, no one is looking at you and no one cares. People are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice. Anyway, who cares what a stranger thinks.

This. I am heavy and almost 50...I also have been synchronize swimming for 35 years. I love it and don't care what an anon wanker thinks of me. I also do syncho shows - performance art in front of 2500 people. I don't care and they don't either.

That being said...they do make one piece suits with "shorts" and a high back, as well as swim tights and the like. You don't have to stick to more traditional skimpier suits if you don't want to.

I personally like these - Dolfin Women's Aquashape Aquatard | DICK'S Sporting Goods - because I'm really swimming and they don't ride up and affect my crotch area - which is always front and center when I'm performing or training. I want a lot of coverage when I'm in a split upside down.

It is very common to see people wearing more cover nowadays.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM

1,187 posts, read 809,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post

You've got to believe that you have just as much right to enjoy the beach as the 20 something bikini model a few blankets down. It's O.K. that you don't look as good as her. You had your youth and now it's time to pass the baton. She will do the same when she is an older woman.

And this.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 AM

15,215 posts, read 8,518,332 times
I know it's hard...I feel the same thing and I'm in my 50's...truth is that I was self conscious at 30 when I was 5'5" and 120 pounds!

But...when I've been to Greece and to Hawaii...OMG - EVERYONE is in a swimsuit, regardless of what they look like and I see oldsters in 2 pieces that seem to be stretched out from 20 years of hard use! And the Europeans - 80 year old topless women...I kid you not! There is no shame at all.

Moral of the story I guess is "just do it"...hard I know, in THIS culture.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,436,597 times
I am 58 and also feel self conscious at times but I love the beach and will continue to wear a bathing suit while there, I wear a tankini, I also use sunless tanner it just makes all the "old" skin look better when it has a little color.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM

6,558 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Thanks so much to all of you -- there are some really great posts here! (And, as always, it is so nice to know that I am "not alone".)

Old 01-12-2017, 08:18 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,741,265 times
"whocares811.." I think you have answered your own question.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM

5,774 posts, read 4,830,089 times
There is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed of your thighs, or any other body part. I have large surgical scars on my butt (9"long), thigh (6") and knee, and I'm overweight. The first time I went to Hawai'i I was thinking how embarrassed I would be on the beach. Then I realized that everyone is there to have fun, they aren't there to look and judge. If they do, SHAME ON THEM. You just have to ask yourself if you want your life and fun times to be run by strangers and their ideas and thoughts. NOPE. I want to live MY life and have fun on MY vacation. They can do what they want and it doesn't have any impact on me at all. Honestly do you think they are going to laugh out loud and point? Of course not. Get over it.

Here's a great website with suits starting at size 8 and up. Women's Swimsuits, Swimwear & Bathing Suits - swimsuitsforall You will find a lot of flattering options to make you feel more confidant. The current styles with boy shorts and swim-skirts are flattering ways to dress up your "flaws". Go and have a GREAT time.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
We are our own worst critic. If you are a size 6/8 you have obviously taken care of yourself. When I go to the beach I have a beautiful one piece bathing suit that I wear with a gorgeous wrap around my waist. I usually save the bikini for the pool.

Like was mentioned, people are too wrapped up with themselves, talking on their cell phones and taking selfies to notice much around them.

Go, have fun and don't worry about what other people might or might not think. Just remember, these are strangers who you will probably never see again in your entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement