U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times

Advertisements

While I basically agree with the posters recommending ignoring what other people may think, one thing impossible to get away from is that obesity is less than pleasing to the eye, be it in a young person or an old person, in a male or in a female.

Now having said that, I can handle seeing the obese at pools, lakes, or the beach. It doesn't harm me, even if it is "less than pleasing to the eye". I don't think they should deprive themselves of participation in swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 PM

1,722 posts, read 604,211 times
If you feel a bit uncomfortable, there are many lovely beach coverups today to wear over your suit. Or, a men's shirt when out of the water is comfy, too, as they're roomy. I wear coverups on the beach as I'm very fair & burn in less than 10-min & there are many more like me... not uncommon to see coverups at all on all ages & sizes. You don't need to spend a fortune either... many are less than $10 in all colors, patterns & lengths.

Otherwise, a long or short sleeved suit with longer legs might make you feel less self conscious. They're like neoprene underwater gear, but nice comfy materials that are easy to get on. I like them for swimming in the ocean or a lake, as they keep me warm... I'm one of those who's always chilly. Here's the style I mean. Look around, as well... you don't need to spend over $100 for one, but Stingray has very well made suits, that are comfy & stylish in the $100 range. Good bargains on Amazon & other sites for other brands. Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=stin...w=1280&bih=561

Note: If I'm swimming laps, I wear a traditional no sleeve suit. I find sleeve material chafes my underarms when doing a crawl. If you might be the same and/or are lap swimming, you can still find traditional tops with boycut legs on the same suit.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 3,754,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have not worn a swimsuit in years due to vanity (I know, I know -- at 63, it is way past time I get over it), but I am planning a California vacation and I would love to sun and swim at the pool and beach. I don't have a "terrible" body -- I'm a curvy size 6/8, but I have heavy, fatty thighs and "old" skin -- but I just can't get over the idea that I shouldn't subject myself or others to the sight of me more than half-naked.

So, how can I learn to "just get over myself" and the conceit that everyone will be looking at me, and say "the hell with it"? I know it shouldn't mater what anyone thinks, but I don't want to disgust anyone or subject myself to ridicule or disgusted looks.

(I thought of putting this in Fashion and Beauty, but I thought fellow oldsters might be more helpful and sympathetic.)
If you're not comfortable, don't do it. If you can become comfortable, do it. People probably won't be looking at you like you think, good or bad. Because of your (our) age. When we get older, we're sort of invisible. Unless you wear something outrageous to call attention to yourself, like a shiny silver bikini.

As far as age, Helen Mirren looks great in a bikini. You probably look as good as she does. Your size is small, so you sound like you'll look as good as any 30 year old (who have chubby thighs, too!).

Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 34,015 times
A 6/8 at age 63 certainly doesn't have anything to be self-conscious about. If you really hate it, get a semi-sheer, stylish cover-up for when you are sitting. I especially like Michael Kors brand, but just going to Marshalls you will find a choice.

Have confidence--you earned it!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,267,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have not worn a swimsuit in years due to vanity (I know, I know -- at 63, it is way past time I get over it), but I am planning a California vacation and I would love to sun and swim at the pool and beach. I don't have a "terrible" body -- I'm a curvy size 6/8, but I have heavy, fatty thighs and "old" skin -- but I just can't get over the idea that I shouldn't subject myself or others to the sight of me more than half-naked.
So, how can I learn to "just get over myself" and the conceit that everyone will be looking at me, and say "the hell with it"? I know it shouldn't mater what anyone thinks, but I don't want to disgust anyone or subject myself to ridicule or disgusted looks.
(I thought of putting this in Fashion and Beauty, but I thought fellow oldsters might be more helpful and sympathetic.)
When I had a stroke and was wearing a swimsuit for aquatic physical therapy I had no problem being in public in a swimsuit.
Look at it this way, at least you can walk and be on the beach in your swimsuit....

Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,874,385 times
I understand the self conscious part.

To deter glares and stares I minimize my obvious body flaws. T shirts are my go too.

Besides it protects from burns.

Some day I'm going to invest in some 1920's style swimwear. Long knicker style with a swim hat .Those ladies made a day at the beach look fun!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 PM

13,247 posts, read 6,345,210 times
Best yet, go to a nude beach near San Diego where almost all bodies, male or female, are all disgusting as I've been told, I have not actually being there. No more self conscious.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:57 AM

676 posts, read 334,711 times
We used to frequent a nude beach. I wouldn't call the bodies disgusting. They are simply human bodies in all of their different forms.

I put a picture of me in a bathing suit in my profile just to show that it's not disgusting.

Last edited by oldwoman; 01-13-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 AM

491 posts, read 598,444 times
I figure I when I have to look at those younger peoples piercings, tattooed, and honestly mostly too heavy bodies they can look at a little weight and wrinkles. If they don't like it they can not look...plus I go the water center in the middle of the day and I fit right in, lol!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If you're not comfortable, don't do it. If you can become comfortable, do it. People probably won't be looking at you like you think, good or bad. Because of your (our) age. When we get older, we're sort of invisible. Unless you wear something outrageous to call attention to yourself, like a shiny silver bikini.

As far as age, Helen Mirren looks great in a bikini. You probably look as good as she does. Your size is small, so you sound like you'll look as good as any 30 year old (who have chubby thighs, too!).
I agree. We can say, "You shouldn't care what anyone else thinks," all we want, but that is not the reality for so many women, unfortunately. We DO care what people think, we ARE self conscious of are bodies, and we believe people are always judging us by our looks, whether they are or not. So if OP is really self conscious and can't get over it, go with the cover up idea. There are a million different styles in all price ranges. I'm not a fan of those neoprene things bpollen depicted, but it's up to OP what she thinks would be best for her, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement