U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,055,575 times

Advertisements

No, nobody is age 55. I'd say average age is 72. We have an old section, built maybe 12 years ago, and we have a new section. As you can imagine, the old section has an older population. We're currently snowbirding in a subdivision with no age restrictions and we're loving the vibrancy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:03 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Green Valley, AZ is loaded with 55+ communities. Average age is about 72. We have 67 homes in our subdivsion, and only one couple is under 60. Most are 60's and 70's. There are lots of gyms and pools to choose from if you are part of Green Valley Recreation (GVR), which most homes are. Plenty of retired LE here too. Half my Jeep club is retired LE.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 PM

166 posts, read 113,166 times
I hope you enjoy going to funerals and hearing about what operation your neighbor needs or what is wrong with them. My parents lived in a 55 plus community and it was depressing, when we retired we moved to a university town, kids keep you young!!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 PM

6,616 posts, read 3,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Sun City, Georgetown TX (near Austin), a 55+ community. Not sure what the average resident age is, but I see people of all ages over 55 here. It does have 2 golf courses, but also 2 rec centers with gyms, pools, and a bunch of other stuff with a very reasonable HOA fee, less than a lot of SC communities that have no golf courses. It is houses and duplexes privately owned (no condos at present), although some owners lease out their properties. You own the land and house. Most owners are responsible for their own property maintenance, although a few properties include association-provided maintenance of the landscaping, but the HOA is much higher for these homes.

This SC community also seems to be trending younger as the Boomers are coming in from all over and 2 new sections are now being built, so there's resales and new builds available.

https://www.sctexas.org/club/scripts...tion.asp?NS=HP

Quick Guide to Texas Retirement Income Taxes:

Texas is tax-friendly toward retirees.
Social security income is not taxed.
Withdrawals from retirement accounts are not taxed.
No state income tax.
Public pension income is not taxed, private pension income is not taxed.

That said, our property taxes are pretty high. I guess there will be trade-offs to be made wherever you are.
Looks expensive. Site doesn't mention housing prices or HOA fees.

Texas does not have state income tax, as you said, and also doesn't tax groceries (food). But the property taxes are VERY high, and the break given seniors on property taxes isn't great. You get a small add'l exemption, but the value of the home as well as the tax rate will cont. to go up, like everyone else's.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
We live in Sun City AZ, the average is about 72. Those that age and over were 55+ when they moved, the newer residents now are around 55 moving in and one day they'll be in their 70's & 80's too. It's a constant revolving situation. Funny huh how that works out.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,571,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
I hope you enjoy going to funerals and hearing about what operation your neighbor needs or what is wrong with them. My parents lived in a 55 plus community and it was depressing, when we retired we moved to a university town, kids keep you young!!
My sentiments exactly! I like mixing it up with normal folks of all ages. HOA's sound like a nightmare to me.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 PM

4,623 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Can you PM the location?
Done.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind, and it was really the first, primary characteristic of an area about whether it could be a retirement home or not. To me, personally, it is very 'black and white'! No grey area. That is "humidity". Being a SoCal native and having lived the whole of my 65 years on this rock in SoCal, and having traveled extensively throughout the states and the world . . . I concluded that I just could not live in an area with high humidity, (specifically in combination with high temperatures). That meant that I would have to live in the Rockies or west of them. Cuts out 2/3 of the country.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Done.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind, and it was really the first, primary characteristic of an area about whether it could be a retirement home or not. To me, personally, it is very 'black and white'! No grey area. That is "humidity". Being a SoCal native and having lived the whole of my 65 years on this rock in SoCal, and having traveled extensively throughout the states and the world . . . I concluded that I just could not live in an area with high humidity, (specifically in combination with high temperatures). That meant that I would have to live in the Rockies or west of them. Cuts out 2/3 of the country.

I'm with you on the humidity. It's the main reason, but not the only reason, I don't understand why so many retirees flock to Florida. Yep, it eliminates 2/3 of the country basically, but aren't there a few limited enclaves such as areas of the Appalachians or foothills which are at sufficiently high elevation? And how about Maine (one of the very few U.S. states I've never been to)? Maine might be far enough north?

No reason for you to have looked outside of the west, though. There's plenty of places and plenty of variety west of the Rockies.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Yes, and I would agree that has advantages and we wanted a mixed aged community. However as we approach age 69 and start thinking about life into and after 70 we realize a like network of similar neighbors has advantages. Not at 55/60 but perhaps 70/80. Probably why the average age is in the 70's. We have heard, read and discussed this with others. In fact the marketing reps will usually agree and tell you the same thing.

With active 55 and CCRC's there is the brochure line and the real line. If you talk to the reps having done your homework, I find they say the same thing. " I see you have done your homework and yes you are right and now is probably not the time for you". How ever you may want to consider going on our waiting list or becoming a future resident you an have a place in line when ready", either here or a sister facility yet to be built.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:09 AM

6,309 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Humid air keeps your skin looking young! There is always air conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or