U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:18 AM

3,553 posts, read 1,573,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
2nd homes can be like boats .

the happiest day is the day you buy it and the day you sell it .
AMEN. The day we sell that ball-and-chain will be the happiest day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 AM

3,553 posts, read 1,573,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So when you turn off the water in the New England homes, do you just turn off the main and drain from all the faucets? Or is there some other procedure involved? Do you leave water in the toilets? Do you leave the heat on?

Just asking because I now live in VT and want to know how much of a hassle it is if I want to go away for a few weeks in winter. Thanks.

We put anti-freeze in all our pipes, toilets, washing machine. Turned off all the water (except once when disaster occurred). Didn't bother to leave the thermostat on but in a nicer home we would have....setting it at 55, maybe. The anti-freeze routine is a hassle but we didn't want to take any chances.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM

4,222 posts, read 2,620,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So when you turn off the water in the New England homes, do you just turn off the main and drain from all the faucets? Or is there some other procedure involved? Do you leave water in the toilets? Do you leave the heat on?

Just asking because I now live in VT and want to know how much of a hassle it is if I want to go away for a few weeks in winter. Thanks.
We would leave the water on in the house but we also left the thermostat set at 52 or 53.

We had an out-building with a bathroom, washer and water heater. The building was not heated so had to be drained. We would drain the water from the water heater in the fall and drain the water from all the pipes in the bathroom. I would use a plunger to force all the water out of the toilet. There was a valve and drain plug in the water pipe outside the house at a low point. Turn off the water, open the plug and then turn on all the faucets in the bathroom and tub so it all drained out the plug outside. We would use a hose to drain the water heater. There is a place at the bottom to attach it.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,739 posts, read 40,145,633 times
Some people are very bitter about the second home they made a very poor choice in buying. Wrong location, rural vs urban, no neighbors. thousands of bitter memories / war stories from one simple transaction... but no truth... "we made a mistake, but learned from it", here is what we learned "

Too bad they are so hurt and can't accept / share productively...not much value in dragging your spoiled fruit around for 20 yrs, spoiling everyone else's too. Case of 'bad gas'. The kind that spoils the whole batch, from one rotten apple. Happens all the time in Storage. Some retirees are likened to being in 'Storage' with the intent to sour all grapes.

2nd, 3rd, 6th, 10th home.... eventually you will get it right, or get out! And go your merry way.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:26 AM

9,260 posts, read 9,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know that many of you retirees have second homes. I'd like to hear how you handle them in your absence. Do you hire a management company to maintain them or have a friend or neighbor do the maintenance? If so, what do you pay for that sort of thing? Are you pleased with the job they are doing?

Do you ever rent it out, or have someone else live there? Do you keep a car there? Do you ever think its just too much hassle?

We're stuck with our property in the States for the time being, so trying to work out maintaining it without breaking the bank. Had a house-sitter last year for the irrigation season but entertaining other ideas.
I am not yet retired, but I purchased a second home for retirement about seven years ago. The home is vacant most of the time. It is a free standing home, but its part of a condominium complex. Its not gated, but the area is off by itself and its in area of the country with low crime. We go down there about once a month. Sometimes, I go alone too. Sometimes, my wife goes alone. We let friends, employees, and clients use the home if we have sufficient trust in them. All get a stern lecture from me that the place is to be left as clean as they found it when they arrived.

I anticipate having it fully paid off in about five years.

I have a company that comes weekly and does landscaping. I believe I pay them $85 a month.

We would never rent it out. Its our retreat to go whenever we wish the turmoil and tension inherent in our jobs.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:36 AM

13,474 posts, read 6,441,185 times
I worry about homeless squatting, hence I never have an empty second home.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 AM

4,356 posts, read 6,079,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some people are very bitter about the second home they made a very poor choice in buying. Wrong location, rural vs urban, no neighbors. thousands of bitter memories / war stories from one simple transaction... but no truth... "we made a mistake, but learned from it", here is what we learned "

Too bad they are so hurt and can't accept / share productively...not much value in dragging your spoiled fruit around for 20 yrs, spoiling everyone else's too. Case of 'bad gas'. The kind that spoils the whole batch, from one rotten apple. Happens all the time in Storage. Some retirees are likened to being in 'Storage' with the intent to sour all grapes.

2nd, 3rd, 6th, 10th home.... eventually you will get it right, or get out! And go your merry way.
And some of us love our second home. We love the ability to change things up, to shake out the doldrums every year. We like having friends in both places, favorite restaurants in both places, being warm in the winter, and more.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:03 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,490,235 times
Had a second home for 5+ years. Sold it 4 years ago because we relocated across country and it was no longer convenient.

Been with just one house for 3+ years.....now considering buying a second home again.

Both our homes were (and will be) in very desirable areas with very high rental prices. We miss being able to 'just go' on a whim to the other house; currently we have to plan in advance in order to get a decent rental. Last time, just before we left, I got a monster cold. Can't get a refund on short term rental a few days in advance, so off we went. I was miserable the entire time. If we had OWNED a 2nd home, we would have just stayed home until I was well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or