Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,529 times

Advertisements

Plan to retire in Salem or southwest Roanoke Va in 2016. Interested in comments about neighborhoods . Prefer under 230000 (less if possible) one level living with small yard for dog. Good safe walking areas. Close to amenities. Any input appreciated . Used to Charlotte NC and Ft Mill SC for any possible comparisons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
Why don't you post this in the Roanoke area sub-forum in the Virginia forum?

Old 01-15-2017, 06:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiTwo View Post
Plan to retire in Salem or southwest Roanoke Va in 2016.
Used to Charlotte NC and Ft Mill SC for any possible comparisons
Have you visited either of those towns?
Start there.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:52 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
This really does belong on that board but since I've been in this boat I'll share my opinion. We are moving south and Roanoke/Salem and Johnson City TN are the 2 finalists. I really want to love Roanoke. It is much closer to home in Maryland, I can still watch all the local DC teams on TV without paying subscriptions or breakout out a laptop, and for other reasons. But after 3 trips there I just can't do it.

I realize I am in the minority. Virtually everyone I spoke with LOVES the place. Good weather, beautiful views, very safe (to answer your question) but it's just butt ugly. Driving to the golf course northeast of town I passed a whole lot of what I call Rust Industrial, I think you know what I mean. I visited the Salem dog park and it was right next to the RR track and a whole lot of Rust Industrial, without a doubt the ugliest dog park I have ever seen. I just couldn't escape it, downtown, outer areas, it was everywhere. Now Johnson City has it to, as does virtually all of Appalachia, but it's vastly improved and moving in the right directions.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I really want to love Roanoke. ...But after 3 trips there I just can't do it.
I realize I am in the minority. Virtually everyone I spoke with LOVES the place.
I like Grandin Village just fine...
but 10 city blocks with 2 of retail frontage does not a city make.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Look into Staunton, VA.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,529 times
Thanks all! Sorry if I have posted incorrectly.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Look into Staunton, VA.
I looked at Saunton as well. Here is a general question for all relocation retirees: For most of us one spouse will lose the other at some point. Does the thought of someday replacing your spouse with another soul mate being limited by retiring to a small town ever cross their minds? I know if I moved to a town of 24,000 and I do not go to church the idea of finding someone looks pretty grim. I don't go to church, I don't like to go out dancing, I like to stay at home and watch sports and movies. What a catch huh?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
First of all, you say you like to stay at home and watch sports and movies. What's wrong with that? I used to think it important to find another husband at some point in time. Well, still single after 34 years divorced, I enjoy my own company and have friends when I want to be social. I made adjustments along the way. I met a few guys, had a relationship or two, but decided that a single life was not so bad.

There are far worse things in life than finding yourself single, whether by widowhood or divorce.

A little time and a little patience will get you through whatever it is you end up with.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This really does belong on that board but since I've been in this boat I'll share my opinion. We are moving south and Roanoke/Salem and Johnson City TN are the 2 finalists. I really want to love Roanoke. It is much closer to home in Maryland, I can still watch all the local DC teams on TV without paying subscriptions or breakout out a laptop, and for other reasons. But after 3 trips there I just can't do it.

I realize I am in the minority. Virtually everyone I spoke with LOVES the place. Good weather, beautiful views, very safe (to answer your question) but it's just butt ugly. Driving to the golf course northeast of town I passed a whole lot of what I call Rust Industrial, I think you know what I mean. I visited the Salem dog park and it was right next to the RR track and a whole lot of Rust Industrial, without a doubt the ugliest dog park I have ever seen. I just couldn't escape it, downtown, outer areas, it was everywhere. Now Johnson City has it to, as does virtually all of Appalachia, but it's vastly improved and moving in the right directions.
Completely agreed.

The last time I was in Roanoke was about two years ago. I've only been there a handful of times, but it's just like what you mentioned. It is far, far more Rust Belt feeling than anything else in the area. The only cities I've been through that are notably worse are Toledo and some smaller cities in Indiana.

It's a pretty small city as well and very isolated. I don't like southwest VA at all and I think the OP would be better served to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement