U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:54 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times

Advertisements

I must admit I have not read each posting completely through, but I do remember someone mentioning Urgent Care. I am pretty sure some are open 24 hrs/day, at least it is true here in Syracuse, NY area. Worth checking out if another need arises.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:58 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Jeeez Umbria! I can't unsee that!

I'm really glad he's being agreeable. I sincerely hope he hasn't broken anything. Again, thank goodness he has you!
That's not really me. It occurred to me that some just might think it is.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM

18,119 posts, read 22,978,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, he finally woke up and asked for coffee and cereal. No, there is no redness or swelling or any other symptoms. He seems somewhat better.

I think this could be a complication from when he fell last fall in a hole in the driveway that the landlord was too cheap to fix. Landlord died! Landlord's sister had the hole fixed pronto! But the damage was done and he has complained about that hip. Now I think this is the knee on that same side.

Thank you, people who have advised me on what to look for as I am pretty good on prevention but not good on what to do if something happens.

Last night's posts were like having a hotline! It was too late at night for me to call any of my friends for advice and you got me through a nerve wracking time. His son in England has now said he will call and talk to his dad --it might help. And another friend has said he is available to call and talk him into going to the dr.

Yes, I am thinking, if he gets well enough, it's about time to go out and stay with a friend 200 miles away. I've been afraid to leave him alone the past few months. I can tell him to call 911 if he needs help.
Well, I hope they can get him to go to the doc, but I fear he likes all the attention. Maybe you could also tell them to tell your hubby that you are about to go on vacation and let him take care of himself. Or, a nicer way of putting it, is that he's being incredibly unkind to you by acting the way he is acting.

I think the main issue going on here is not what he has or the fact that he needs to go to a doctor, but the fact that you can't make him go, and him acting the way he's acting is really unkind to you. Heck, all this stress could put you in the hospital. Tell him if it does, then he gets to take care of you LOL.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM

19,847 posts, read 18,867,840 times
He's heard all the above threats but ignored them and would get mad at me. Now that he's had two entire days of not being able to even walk and being in severe pain, he seems more compliant. So while he was in a compliant state I lectured him a bit, not enough to scare him a lot, but maybe enough. Told him this could be something really serious and what if he got a blood clot or something like that and became totally disabled. That this could have been prevented. And that I do not enjoy catering to him so he'd better go to the dr when I get an appointment for him!

I found an urgent care place at CVS in the next town--he said he doesn't feel well enough to go to it today. Maybe I can get him there tomorrow--I don't think I can get a dr appointment that soon.

At least with him sleeping all day I'd had time to get some stuff done around the house and to let the dog run along the beach. I'll go check on him now and take a look at his leg.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 PM

21,896 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I don't blame him for not wanting to make a doctor visit. If it's gout or arthritis, there is not much that can be done other than taking ibuprofen which is an anti-inflammatory.

Some people get cortisone shots or shots of Synvisc. Synvisc works on a select few, but often doesn't provide relief. And cortisone shots into the knee, depending on the stage of the arthritis, can get one through the next 4 to 6 months for some.

But Synvisc and cortisone shots are usually done by an orthopedics physician or a rheumatologist, not a primary care physician who is a general practitioner or who is an internal medicine physician.

You're saying you're pretty sure it's not a thrombosis (blood clot) nor cellulitis (infection) - because there is no redness and no warmth/heat radiating - although in your original post you say it is swollen, in your post #24, you say there is no swelling.

He might be afraid they might try to push him into some type of unnecessary surgery.

You can google online what foods not to eat to control and prevent gout - anchovies, for example, can cause gout. Do you have a blood pressure cuff, battery-operated, to keep track of his blood pressure at home? (They are very inexpensive at Target, Walmart or Walmart.com, online at Amazon.com)
Both gout and arthritis can be treated.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,610 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Sometimes a spouse knows best, and may be going to dr, w/o you knowing. My MIL wouldn't 'bother' anyone with her second round of cancer. The day she died, the dr told FIL, and he had been clueless.

Since we have no HC, We joined funerals.coop and keep enough dough around for an immediate cremation. Fortunately it is just a US thing, most countries have a medical care solution that does not capture all your assets to care for you through a very prolonged and expensive death.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Quote:

I think this could be a complication from when he fell last fall in a hole in the driveway that the landlord was too cheap to fix. Landlord died! Landlord's sister had the hole fixed pronto! But the damage was done and he has complained about that hip. Now I think this is the knee on that same side.

Sounds like it could possibly be a very thin hairline fracture from the fall into the driveway hole. Or some damage to the hip & knee from that fall.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-15-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
My leg would hurt tremendously when I walked but stop while sitting or lying down. I let it go until I went to give book & they couldn't find a pulse in one arm.

I went through numerous tests & finally thy figured out my artery was clogged & the Dr put in a stent. It was amazing what a difference it made. I was walking again with no pain.

I'm on pills for high cholesterol & blood pressure now. Small price to pay

Old 01-15-2017, 04:14 PM

4,484 posts, read 4,745,031 times
Quote:
He's heard all the above threats but ignored them and would get mad at me. Now that he's had two entire days of not being able to even walk and being in severe pain, he seems more compliant. So while he was in a compliant state I lectured him a bit, not enough to scare him a lot, but maybe enough. Told him this could be something really serious and what if he got a blood clot or something like that and became totally disabled. That this could have been prevented. And that I do not enjoy catering to him so he'd better go to the dr when I get an appointment for him!

I found an urgent care place at CVS in the next town--he said he doesn't feel well enough to go to it today. Maybe I can get him there tomorrow--I don't think I can get a dr appointment that soon.

At least with him sleeping all day I'd had time to get some stuff done around the house and to let the dog run along the beach. I'll go check on him now and take a look at his leg.

Well, maybe he needs to hear this one!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,784,601 times
Default scooby snacks

Guess I'm mean, but I wouldnt molly coddle him. Its like training a dog. Behave, get a treat. Dont behave, get ignored.

He's in pain but making you suffer with him. If he's so stubborn he won't see a doctor, then he's choosing to suffer needlessly. His choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or