U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,765,544 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Lots of people talk good stories and have also sorts of ideas and plans that somehow fall by the wayside.

If you truly want to do this, I only see two issues: health and money. Don't worry about the comments on safety. 99% of the places you will want to visit are safe, probably safer than where most of us live. Unless you are all but bedridden, health should not be an issue. Healthcare is available just about anywhere including the national parks. You don't need to be a kid to travel. I typically only drive a few hours a day and that is when I am going cross country. Most days I keep an even, relaxed pace....well, sort of.

Money is an important consideration. You can get by on very little money for routine travel expenses. The BIG consideration is a suitable vehicle. You definitely need something you can sleep in comfortably. Otherwise motel costs will eat you alive. You need a vehicle that is relatively reliable. I would want to start out with something that would last at least for the cross country trip and back. Of course, worse case, you can dump the car and get a bus back home. Nothing lost except a car that would have died anyway.

If money is a consideration, then a bus trip may not work. A bus trip means eating all meals out, sleeping in motels, paying for the bus. In addition you will miss more, way more, than you see. I have seen a great many bus tours in the national parks. The bus pulls to an overlook everyone gets out, takes a couple pictures, gets back in and moves on. Horrid, absolutely not worth it unless you just have to have some photos to prove you were there. The Chinese tourists even have that figured out. They have a photographer who sets up a tripod. Everyone files by one at a time or in small groups and gets a picture with a famous backdrop. It only takes 15-20 minutes, then on to the next stop.

Anyway, if you are serious and have any questions, I might be able to help. I have done lots of travel over the years, mostly cheap in tents. If you are not serious, well, I guess I just wasted a few words. No worry, I have plenty left over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 4,765,544 times
BTW, I cannot begin to tell you how many people I see on the road traveling very, very cheap. I have met a great many who are sitting in some improbable location just waiting for a check so they have food and gas money. I will never forget the family I met on my last trip. They had a beat up old compact car with two adults, three children and 2 very large German shepherd dogs. I really could not even figure out how they all fit. They were also pulling a trailer made out of the bed of an old pickup truck. It was loaded and covered with an old tarp. They had set out for a thousand mile trip to visit the wife's sister. Unfortunately there was a miss communication and she had no where for them to stay. On the way back home, they ran out of money. Not even gas money. They were waiting for a check. They picked an old Walmart parking lot, as did I. Unfortunately the security guard told them they had to leave. BTW, this was not Walmart but the security guard for the new owner. They had no money and no idea where to go. Another camper and I helped out with the local sheriff and they got permission to stay for a few days until the check came. Everyone was as happy as possible. Beautiful country, kids and dogs having a great time, all was right with the world. Can you guess? They were Indians... Yes, that is what I call them and that is what they call themselves. I would be more specific except I forgot the tribe. It is all relative. Someone driving through with a $1000/month budget would be a rich person to them.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM

105 posts, read 71,533 times
Default Live your dream

The national parks are only 10.00 for seniors! Pay a one time 10.00 fee and you get a LIFETIME pass, I believe this just covers entrance fee, but there may be other perks as well. By the way, my mom is 74 and still working. She loves to garden, hike, and is a ball of energy. I would think traveling as a senior would offer better value!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 PM

105 posts, read 71,533 times
P.S. I am 32 and have never taken an extended road trip, alone. Around the last week of April I will be driving out to California from Virginia. I will be finishing a temporary job and either quitting (or taking a leave of absence if granted) from a long-term job I've held for 6 years. I have the opportunity to live in Santa Barbara, CA for a month to house/pet sit for one of my dad's friends while they are away on an extended trip. I figure it'll be a good time to reevaluate my goals, take stock, and have some adventures while living rent free. I'll be visiting and staying with family along the way. After California, I'm driving up to Seattle to visit a friend. I'm really excited. Maybe we'll cross paths at some point. I'll p.m. you my e-mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or