U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM

36 posts, read 32,712 times

Advertisements

started working part time at 14, full time at 16 delivering pizzas for dominoes, then got into hvac at 18 & retired at 49.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:59 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,576,057 times
Started working at 15, worked pretty much fulltime after highs school, went to college evenings, amassed a few degrees and retired at 52.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Worked right out of high school but was a functioning alcoholic for years until it got the best of me and I didn't work for 3 years before I got straightened out. Sober for 33 years now.
Congratulations on your 33 years of sobiriety! I imagine it was difficult to get "straigntened out"?

Old 01-16-2017, 01:52 PM

10,287 posts, read 4,862,753 times
No, I had breaks during complicated pregnancies and child rearing.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,522,722 times
I started working the summer before my junior year in fast food and worked every summer and part-time during high school and college. Before that I had lots of responsibility around the home since we five siblings lived with my divorced dad and I was the oldest girl. After getting a science degree, I worked in a lab for 4 years and was laid off when the grant expired but used some savings and the time off to complete an engineering degree while working odd jobs. By the time I graduated with a ChemE degree, oil and gas went bust and there were few jobs in the region. I was fortunate to get a job with the government and have been employed with no breaks for the last 32 years. But I canít wait to retire at age 62 and have no plans to work again.

That oil bust was a blessing in disguise as it kept me from working in that industry, the main employer of my degree. My older brother worked as an accountant in oil and was laid off numerous times during his career. Each time he went on unemployment, depleted savings, and worked for temp agencies as possible to stretch out his benefits. One of the temp jobs would become long term and eventually transition to salaried position for a few years until the next downsizing. He got laid off at least 5 times, the last a couple of years ago at age 62, and is now retiring on early social security and his small retirement savings. During a couple of layoffs, he made trips to Atlanta and LA to check out the job market but by that time was too specialized in his accounting field to easily get a job.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
I began my first full time job in 1962. I worked almost non stop until I retired in 2010. I just took a couple of years off to further my education and maybe a month or two here and there because I was out of work.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM

3,538 posts, read 2,232,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
I am asking this question to people on the retirement board because I suspect many of you are older and can look back at their life with a perspective.

My wife retired recently and told me she felt lucky that she had a record of nearly constant work and advancement from the date she graduated from college to the date she retired. Her only break in the action was 7 months of unemployment when she was laid off her job. (7 hard stressful months of job hunting). At the time she was completely stressed out but many of her now retired friends told her they had been laid off or fired five or six times during their careers.

How about you? From the date you started working full time after finishing school, how many breaks did you have due to employment termination (layoff or firing)?
Not counting paper routes, I officially began my working life at the age of 14 unpacking boxes at a Pic-Way Shoe Mart. I am 64 now and the only time I have been without a job, including all through college, was one week in 1984 that I took off before starting a new job the next week. Other than that I have been fully employed for the past 50 years.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:28 PM

1,208 posts, read 706,129 times
I'm not going to count any work I did before 20 years old. A steel mill recruited some of us grads from our electronic tech trade school. It was considered 36 years of continuous service, but there was a gap for 3 years for military. Never laid off. We briefly went down to a 4 day week, once. Retired at 57 with pension, cheap company medical insurance & 401k.

We started with electronics training. On the job we learned about various communications systems, x-ray and ultrasound measurement & inspection equipment, computers to machine language and component level, proportional control systems, pneumatic controls, systems of measurement & control of flow, pressure, level, weight, & temperature. That's just a start of the list. We didn't all become experts in everything, and I was not the best, but we each had at least some functional understanding of many technologies. We were the guys, and a few gals, who could fix everything. As far as I know, no one who left that job had any trouble finding related work elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 PM

530 posts, read 537,777 times
... "Threw (news)papers" until HS, starting at age 10 ... Employed after HS, during Jr. College ... and by Unca Sam's Army ... the only times I ever went without a job was when I moved my Family to Austin (TEXAS, of Course!), and for almost a year (in Cali) after I got a layoff at age 62 (2007), but couldn't find another full-time job.
Right-after I'd started on early SocSec, managed to land a part-time job with a local high-tech company which led to a full-time contract position, and have held continuously, since December 2009.

2017 will be *MY* Year, though!

... Thanks! - TC

Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
I did odd jobs now and then through college then dilly-dallied for a year while expecting to be drafted (...wasn't) and I finally got serious and worked 30 years at one employer and then retired early...as a burned out administrator. After three months I started working at a different line of work part-time and did that for seven years. I volunteer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or