U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:10 AM

7,415 posts, read 3,059,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
I am asking this question to people on the retirement board because I suspect many of you are older and can look back at their life with a perspective.

My wife retired recently and told me she felt lucky that she had a record of nearly constant work and advancement from the date she graduated from college to the date she retired. Her only break in the action was 7 months of unemployment when she was laid off her job. (7 hard stressful months of job hunting). At the time she was completely stressed out but many of her now retired friends told her they had been laid off or fired five or six times during their careers.

How about you? From the date you started working full time after finishing school, how many breaks did you have due to employment termination (layoff or firing)?
Taking time-off between jobs? Would that reveal prison time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,786,811 times
Nope. School 1954-1966. Navy 1966-1970. School 1970-1979. Work 1979-2017. I liked school a lot.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 AM

10,394 posts, read 9,405,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
I am asking this question to people on the retirement board because I suspect many of you are older and can look back at their life with a perspective.

My wife retired recently and told me she felt lucky that she had a record of nearly constant work and advancement from the date she graduated from college to the date she retired. Her only break in the action was 7 months of unemployment when she was laid off her job. (7 hard stressful months of job hunting). At the time she was completely stressed out but many of her now retired friends told her they had been laid off or fired five or six times during their careers.

How about you? From the date you started working full time after finishing school, how many breaks did you have due to employment termination (layoff or firing)?
Had just one break that lasted about 6 months; other than that, ongoing work until retirement.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 PM

5,815 posts, read 4,859,778 times
Zero breaks. I worked part-time at 16-17, while in HS. I worked full time from age 18 until retirement, including four years in the USAF. There was a period right after I left the USAF until I found a job, but we were moving cross country at the time, so a little lapse of 3 weeks before I could find a job in my home state was the only time I was not employed full time. I've never been laid off or terminated, if I left a job it was my decision.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,689 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Work hard, Play hard..

worked 40+ hrs in 1-3 jobs at a time since age 15, retired 3rd time @ age 49

WORK was ALWAYS a breeze, compared to Dairy Farm Boarding School (Age 8 - 15)

But LOTS of breaks:
  • High Tech Employer (since age 17) allowed us to take the entire summer without pay, if we trained a school teacher to sub for us during summer.
  • many 12 week fieldtrips while homeschooling
  • 12 week honeymoon
  • 3 'gap yrs'
  • Traveled as part of job (took family)
  • 4 international work assignments (80% additional travel while living abroad)

Retire early, retire often! great idea to 'retire and be home with kids', you can go back to WORK when they leave...(if you must)

Old 01-17-2017, 02:07 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,359,984 times
Always worked even while in school. When I went to school in Europe, I worked illegally on a student visa. Started when I was 12. Probably off for a week or so now or then when I changed jobs but that's about it.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,434,419 times
Always worked full time from the age of 18 until I retired. Did go through a layoff, but it was a government thing and I worked Friday until end of business and which time my department was abolished and I began working in my new department on Monday. No loss of anything (salary, time, vacation, benefits).

Old 01-17-2017, 03:50 PM

516 posts, read 293,831 times
I can't imagine working non stop until retirement. I like my time off. Time off to enjoy life and live. My wife & I live like we're poor and only buy what we need and when I get sick of working....I take a few months off and live off our savings and relax. People work themselves to the bone just to be able to support their car payments....mortgage...payments payments payments payments.....and entertainment.

I dont get it. Don't get me wrong....we have nice things like a tempur pedic bed.....nice cars....nice dining room table, silverware etc etc etc......but it was all paid for with cash. We saved and bought what we needed slowly over time.

I think people, by in large, work so hard and are afraid to death to take time off because they've put themselves in financial prison.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:00 PM

420 posts, read 266,632 times
I began working in my teens. I was laid off while pregnant for my first child, but went back to work six weeks after she was born. Except for those few months off, I worked until retirement.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,718,444 times
I entered the workplace in 1965, and except for finishing college and graduate studies I've been working since. I've been laid off a few times, and until the last one managed to move directly from one job to another. I had one period of unemployment for a year and a half following the 2008 recession. I was collecting unemployment and depending on food pantries and charity to get by. I was 61 at the time, so I had a horrible time finding another job; a friend who was a manager eventually hired me, but when I turned 62 I seriously considered taking social security early though I didn't want to (I'm glad I didn't have to).

I'll be 70 next week, and will get my first maxed out social security check next month. I plan on leaving my full time job in the next few months, and working part time. I'm looking forward to it, enough is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or