U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 AM

3,756 posts, read 3,163,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Awesome post^^^^. What skills did you have that allowed leaving and returning at will? Sounds ideal!!
Not sure other than being lazy which led to being an efficiency freak (get the job done with the least effort) and being likable which translates well with commission sales. If you can sell you can always find work and if you have the right product or service with a good commission structure you can always make good money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 AM

6,614 posts, read 8,166,082 times
I attended college for four years out of high school and began working a week after graduation from college. I worked same company for 38 years with no breaks at any time. I retired at age 60 for my first work break. During college I had sumer jobs each and ever summer so worked or schooled that four year period.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,191,823 times
No. First I went to College (I had that privilege) and then made a short stint in the Army, then after that one year as a bank clerk (didn't like it), left and took then one sabbatical year and then finally started a nonstop career in 1980 at 25. I'll retire next year at 63.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 AM

2,180 posts, read 1,282,650 times
38 non stop years in the same career sounds like a "yes" to me! Hope this last year flies by for you!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 AM

13,666 posts, read 6,508,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
While I agree 100% about "afffluenza", it is certainly not just a north american only phenom. Off the top of my head, both the UK & Germany have degrees of affluenza, but look at the financial state of all those European counties that have little production due to living life as you claim. Sky high unemployment, on the brink of collapse from social programs they can't pay for....unless a counrty is sitting on vast piles of government owned wealth (oil, hydo electric, etc) people and companies working and paying taxes provides the revenue for the government to operate. I am glad to be able to make enough money to pay the taxes that provide the services that help others out that also want to contribute. Not so much for people that deliberately game the system to take as much as they can, with no desire to contribute back.
Europe stock market reflects European economy. 10 years of negative returns, zero interest rate, what's not to like.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM

232 posts, read 108,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Like other have already said, started 'working' as an adolescent with a daily paper route and continued working uninterrupted to this day . . . well, at least for another few weeks at which time I start my pseudo retirement, (burning accrued vacation time before the start of my official retirement). I think the only break of any length more than a week or so was in my early high school years when I was a member of the school's 'track and field' team. Been on the current 'job' for 34 years.

Oh, I need to correct that . . . I don't have a job . . . I get paid for a hobby. It's been a great ride. No complaints.

Volosong, what is your job?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or