U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 AM

105 posts, read 93,733 times

Advertisements

I am asking this question to people on the retirement board because I suspect many of you are older and can look back at their life with a perspective.

My wife retired recently and told me she felt lucky that she had a record of nearly constant work and advancement from the date she graduated from college to the date she retired. Her only break in the action was 7 months of unemployment when she was laid off her job. (7 hard stressful months of job hunting). At the time she was completely stressed out but many of her now retired friends told her they had been laid off or fired five or six times during their careers.

How about you? From the date you started working full time after finishing school, how many breaks did you have due to employment termination (layoff or firing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 AM

71,509 posts, read 71,674,131 times
none. i always worked .

Old 01-16-2017, 05:11 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,660,491 times
Always worked, pretty much from age 10.

Paper route in elementary and Jr High
Retail clerk in High School
Co-Op College program so I never even had a summer off. This program rolled right into my first career.

I did have a 3 month hiatus after retiring from my first career at age 56 and before landing my current job.. Since this was voluntary on my part this short break may or may not count

Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
I started working at age 9 delivering about 65 newspapers every morning at 4:30 AM. I saved my total earnings of $5 per week by depositing it every week in a bank passbook account. My father had told me that I needed to save for college and because he had 7 kids, and he was chronically ill, he could not pay for it.

I maintained that habit and had additional jobs such as a self-employed TV antenna installer, a dishwasher on the swing shift, and a moving company laborer each weekend where I had to get up at 4 AM, walk 6 miles downtown to the moving company, work a 12 hour shift for $1.75 per hour, and then walk 6 miles home. I was 16 years old and very strong and healthy.

When I was 17, my father died at age 49 and left my stay at home mother to support 7 kids. He left me $10 in the will and I handed it over to my mother. That was two weeks before I started college. Luckily, I had $2300 in that passbook account. In 1967, that was enough money to pay for 2 years of engineering school.

I worked my way through college by doing dishes and mopping floors at a Sorority house where my pay was free meals. I also worked in the EE Lab maintaining the electronic instruments.

When I got my degree in 1972, I graduated on a Friday then drove from Tucson to Santa Clara California over the weekend to start working on that following Monday. My starting pay was $900 per month.

Since then, I've always worked until the dot-com crash forced my company to lay off 36K people by 2009. So I was unemployed for several years. I returned in 2011 primarily because at age 61, I could no longer afford health insurance costs.

Luckily, I had maintained my skills and could deliver results to them immediately. I finally retired in Nov-2015 at age 66.

The moral of the story is that life happens and you must evolve and adapt. I never expected anybody to give me anything.

No worries and no complaints from me.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM

166 posts, read 113,091 times
Got my degree in May 1979, started 1st and only job September 1979, retired June 2015 at 58. I was a fire protection consultant in an insurance company loss prevention department. Started my paper route at age 10, worked in my uncle's gas station (paid and sometimes not paid) until 16 when I got my "working papers". I worked part time jobs through high school and college. So thinking about it I have been working nonstop since age 10. I reviewed my social security work record the other day it had earnings starting in 1973......WOW. Retirement is a wonderful thing I have no desire to go back to work.

Last edited by TLC1957; 01-16-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 06:26 AM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
No, I did not work non-stop after college. Immediately after graduation, the US Army arranged for an all expenses paid vacation to southeast Asia. It came complete with fireworks, a holiday (Tet), plenty of hiking and overnight camping.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:45 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
I am still about 6 years away and plan to work all of it. I only had one lay off where I didn't get a new "real" job almost immediately, but that was in my 20s when I lived in Denver. I was single with few bills and the company was shuttered in the spring. I worked weekends as a raft guide until late summer (hence the quoted "real"). I didn't even apply for another job, but the vulture capitalists that shut us down hired another company to manufacture and continue development on a product I wrote the firmware for and that company tracked me down. They waved some money under my nose and convinced me to move up the road to Boulder. I am very fortunate to have a knack for what I do and there has always been a demand for it.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Always worked. No breaks. Worked during college, worked during graduate school. Even continued to work part-time after retirement from my regular career. At 72, still work a five-week project every summer. Don't know at what point, if ever, my paid work will be absolutely zero.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 AM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
I started working at 13 while in school and only stopped when I retired in 2009 at age 58 (because I could). I have zero desire to ever work again, ever never ever.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:02 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,460,757 times
Like other have already said, started 'working' as an adolescent with a daily paper route and continued working uninterrupted to this day . . . well, at least for another few weeks at which time I start my pseudo retirement, (burning accrued vacation time before the start of my official retirement). I think the only break of any length more than a week or so was in my early high school years when I was a member of the school's 'track and field' team. Been on the current 'job' for 34 years.

Oh, I need to correct that . . . I don't have a job . . . I get paid for a hobby. It's been a great ride. No complaints.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or