U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 14,362 times

Advertisements

People are living longer thus have more time. But, what will you do with 30+ years of your life? What makes your life more fulfilling? What are some challenges you faced or are facing and how did you overcome it?

Last edited by AgeBrilliantly; 01-16-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,622,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post
Retirement is obsolete.
Retirement is not obsolete at all! Do you know what 'obsolete' means?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 01-16-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Retirement is obsolete. People are living longer thus have more time. But, what will you do with that time? What makes your lives more fulfilling? What are some challenges you faced or are facing and how did you overcome it?
Challenges are watching people older and sicker than you just get worse and then finally expire. Or seeing people my age go through life changing situations - divorce for example.

Boy am I being a Debbie downer today - must be the dreary weather. LOL

Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM

2,014 posts, read 2,708,600 times
Reaching out to people/having occasional social outings/staying connected has been one challenge. I may get involved in some volunteer work or perhaps get a part-time job at some point, so that would hopefully help. As a military spouse, we moved around frequently and being uprooted so many times made it more challenging to maintain friendships. I met a lot of different people, but we never lived in one place long enough to make true, life-long friends. Guess that's why I enjoy my dogs so much! They are incredibly loyal, always glad to see you, and they keep me moving forward.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Hi,

What I meant by obsolete is that people are no longer retiring the way it was decades ago. We are no longer retiring TO something but FROM something. Retirement used to be a time for leisure because the life expectacy was not as long as it is today.

We are now more active--looking for part time work, volunteering, leaving a legacy and even becoming entreprenuers at age 92 (Earl Fultz)

Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Reply

"Challenges are watching people older and sicker than you just get worse and then finally expire. Or seeing people my age go through life changing situations - divorce for example.

Boy am I being a Debbie downer today - must be the dreary weather. LOL"

What action steps are you taking to ensure physical and mental wellbeing?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Reaching out to people/having occasional social outings/staying connected has been one challenge. I may get involved in some volunteer work or perhaps get a part-time job at some point, so that would hopefully help. As a military spouse, we moved around frequently and being uprooted so many times made it more challenging to maintain friendships. I met a lot of different people, but we never lived in one place long enough to make true, life-long friends. Guess that's why I enjoy my dogs so much! They are incredibly loyal, always glad to see you, and they keep me moving forward.
I see. That must be really difficult for you. Do you stay in touch with the people you meet through social media or the usage of internet (email, skype..etc)

See it on a positive note. You're making friends around the world. That's incredible and I am jealous!

Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
"Challenges are watching people older and sicker than you just get worse and then finally expire. Or seeing people my age go through life changing situations - divorce for example.

Boy am I being a Debbie downer today - must be the dreary weather. LOL"

What action steps are you taking to ensure physical and mental wellbeing?
Eat right and exercise for physical health. Seek out spiritual gatherings for mental health. Good deeds and aim to project a positive outlook when I meet people. Might not be 100% happy, but I try.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Eat right and exercise for physical health. Seek out spiritual gatherings for mental health. Good deeds and aim to project a positive outlook when I meet people. Might not be 100% happy, but I try.
What services/product would you like to have that would make your life easieror more fulfilling? Are you volunteering?

Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Life is full of challenges. That is, one can have difficult challenges in retirement which are not connected to being retired per se. My biggest challenge in retirement is not directly connected to being retired, but my accepting the challenge was enabled by having the time to do so.

I live in a townhouse which is one of 26 in a homeowners' association (HOA). I became a member of the board of directors soon after moving in here about 16 years ago and discovered that the board was run as a private fiefdom (in violation of California law) by a mean, nasty old lady who verbally attacked anyone who disagreed with her. I tried to keep things honest but was the one dissenter on the board; other board members saw the abuse I took, and not wanting to be subjected to that abuse themselves, kept their mouths shut. This lady loved rules, and the more picayune the rules were, the more she loved them.

Well finally there was a homeowners' revolt and I became president, but the old lady remained on the board, although now she was a minority of one. Still, she did her level best to make my life miserable. In two and a half years as president I have slowly succeded in establishing more openness and a more rational way of operating. It has been especially gratifying perhaps because it wasn't easy. Many homeowners have expressed their gratitude to me.

If you want an easy, pleasant volunteer job that doesn't make many demands on your time, do not become president of an HOA. I have found the issues to be complex and tricky. A retired person is, in general, better suited for this particular job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement