U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:29 AM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Where in tax law do they refer to it as "fair share"? It is your 'tax liability", and that has nothing to do with paying a "fair share" that you so often refer to. Even though the laws definitely benefit my family, I don't pretend that they are fair, and I think they should be changed.
my fair share is the lowest amount the laws and tools let me pay as my tax liability . you want to pay more than that , i won't stop you . in fact we all won't stop you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM

6,812 posts, read 3,867,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my fair share is the lowest amount the laws and tools let me pay as my tax liability . you want to pay more than that , i won't stop you . in fact we all won't stop you .
I don't pay more. As I said, I too use the laws as they are written. I just consider it hypocritical to refer to any of it as being fair. Legal yes, fair no.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times
it is certainly my "fair share " under the laws . if you don't like the terminology i use don't use em .

Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Retiring early is a luxury.

I hate to see people enjoying a luxury on taxpayers expense.
The 'age of retirement' within SS is an artificial paradygm, and even within SS you can still select how old you want to be when you take it. If you take it, assuming that you decided to pay into SS. The ages for SS will likely change as the formula for keeping it liquid will change. There are a lot of rabbit holes in all of that mess.

'Retirement' is a much bigger topic.

I was forced onto pension after 20 years in my career field, regardless of my exact age I was deemed too old to keep up.

I am not sure that makes it a 'luxury'.

Quote:
We are all encouraged to pay the least amount possible.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektalure View Post
Self employed and retired at 61. Even though we were promised that I could keep my insurance we lost it and was also promised that I could keep my doctor and lost him too.

So we were forced to go on the exchange and did not want to take the subsidies at all. I looked back and realized that no one read the plan before they voted on it, we were told that we have to pass the bill before we know what is in the bill. We were told that our premiums would go down. We were lied to just to get this bill passed.

So as everyone takes their mortgage deduction, their deduction if they have children etc. I took the subsidy because that is the way they wrote the bill. If they didn't want me to take it because of my net worth than don't offer it to me and certainly don't write it into the bill.

I want the ACA repelled and replace with insurance that I choose to have. If I want a bare bones plan with a high deductible or the plan our Senators and Congressmen have that should be my right. And please no exclusions like if you belong to a union, are a member of Congress, if you are a public employee. Why should a certain segment of our society be exempt from having insurance like they are with the current ACA plan, if it was great wouldn't everyone want it?
they are not exempt, they are covered by insurance that covers the requirements of the ACA.

I am retired military and I get a statement declaring my insurance good to go as far as ACA is concerned. My parents were on FePBlue - what the government federal employees have - they meet the ACA requirements. And that insurance is not free. My mom was still paying almost 200 a month for her coverage besides her Medicare.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 1,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
they are not exempt, they are covered by insurance that covers the requirements of the ACA.

I am retired military and I get a statement declaring my insurance good to go as far as ACA is concerned. My parents were on FePBlue - what the government federal employees have - they meet the ACA requirements. And that insurance is not free. My mom was still paying almost 200 a month for her coverage besides her Medicare.

Are you saying that Senators and Congressmen are on the ACA and have to log in, select thier insurance provider depending on their home state? There were carve outs that exempted them for having to go onto ACA. I know our teacher in our state are not on the exchange.

Now their health insurance might have to be ACA compatible but I really don't think they have the same high deductibles or premiums like the rest of us.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:31 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,524,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The 'age of retirement' within SS is an artificial paradygm, and even within SS you can still select how old you want to be when you take it. If you take it, assuming that you decided to pay into SS. The ages for SS will likely change as the formula for keeping it liquid will change. There are a lot of rabbit holes in all of that mess.

'Retirement' is a much bigger topic.

I was forced onto pension after 20 years in my career field, regardless of my exact age I was deemed too old to keep up.

I am not sure that makes it a 'luxury'.

We are all encouraged to pay the least amount possible.

apples to oranges............your early retirement came with a retirement check and health benefits for life.

I doubt you are using Obamacare in order to have health care insurance.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM

6,812 posts, read 3,867,159 times
Quote:
fair share is what the laws say is the minimum amount you should legally pay. get the laws changed if you ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE WAY IT WORKS , BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS .
Well DUH!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektalure View Post
Are you saying that Senators and Congressmen are on the ACA and have to log in, select thier insurance provider depending on their home state? There were carve outs that exempted them for having to go onto ACA. I know our teacher in our state are not on the exchange.

Now their health insurance might have to be ACA compatible but I really don't think they have the same high deductibles or premiums like the rest of us.
no they do not. they are compatible. Heck my sister complains about the 11 dollars a month she has to pay for her insurance from a former employer - she's retired. They even pay her medicare supplement fee.

It all depends on who you had insurance with - the luck of the draw - I guess you could call it. Fate.

Teachers around here pay at least 500 for their family but have good coverage.

you don't have to have insurance - sure there are penalties - but there are also ways to avoid paying the penalties. Be out of work for a month or something like that and no penalty. The list is on the website.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
In a couple years DH goes on Medicare and I will have to find insurance. I have not looked into it, knowing that it would be a waste of time to learn the current system when it is changing so quickly.
The reason we are going back on the retiree health care plan that the spouse's former company offers is that even though it is terrible insurance (and not cheap or even reasonable - the ACA was far better and cheaper insurance, at least for the first year or so), the spouse becomes eligible for Medicare in late 2017 and if we are already on the company plan at that point, they will continue to offer me insurance even though the spouse shifts to their Medicare retiree program. If we are not on the insurance already, I am not eligible for what they call a split insurance plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or