Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM

348 posts, read 255,982 times

Advertisements

We are currently covered under the ACA plan with monthly premiums of 1757.00/month and 12,000 deductible. This is for 2 of us. In our state all the major health insurance companies left. We currently have one insurance company that offers health insurance through the ACA. No insurance company offers individual coverage where we live. The ACA offers Blue Cross and only 3 plans are available 1757.00 is the cheapest and 3258.00 is the highest. ACA was not working in our state as our premiums went up over 50% from last year.

We are retiring this year and will continue the same ACA premium with no subsidy due to our income. Next year was going to be the first year we would receive subsidies under the ACA. Guess that plan fell through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 02:53 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
what level plan is that ? compared to ny that is a lot . a silver here for 2 is 10.400.00 in premium and 14,400 out of pocket

Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
We are currently covered under the ACA plan with monthly premiums of 1757.00/month and 12,000 deductible. This is for 2 of us. In our state all the major health insurance companies left. We currently have one insurance company that offers health insurance through the ACA. No insurance company offers individual coverage where we live. The ACA offers Blue Cross and only 3 plans are available 1757.00 is the cheapest and 3258.00 is the highest. ACA was not working in our state as our premiums went up over 50% from last year.

We are retiring this year and will continue the same ACA premium with no subsidy due to our income. Next year was going to be the first year we would receive subsidies under the ACA. Guess that plan fell through.
OMG, that is ridiculous...........
What do people do that are not offered health insurance at work and are not close to retirement age? It's really scary........

Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
OMG, that is ridiculous...........
What do people do that are not offered health insurance at work and are not close to retirement age? It's really scary........
We seriously need an AFFORDABLE healthcare system.

I do not see why people are protesting so much about efforts to get us an affordable healthcare system.

It seems the Dems have screwed us so badly here, that they just want to keep it up and keep people away from having healthcare.

I do not get it. Is someone personally benefiting from screwing others out of healthcare?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what level plan is that ? compared to ny that is a lot . a silver here for 2 is 10.400.00 in premium and 14,400 out of pocket
This is the cheapest plan and it is a Bronze. The middle plan is a silver and I do not remember what the plan is for the 3258/monthly premium.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We seriously need an AFFORDABLE healthcare system.

I do not see why people are protesting so much about efforts to get us an affordable healthcare system.

It seems the Dems have screwed us so badly here, that they just want to keep it up and keep people away from having healthcare.

I do not get it. Is someone personally benefiting from screwing others out of healthcare?
Well it is ridiculous and many middle class with incomes above 65,000 are paying for this type of plan that covers nothing. If you are in your late 50's or early 60's. We are both healthy and have had high deductible plans for over 10 years. We have never met our deductible even when it was 2600.

When I tell people how much we pay and how much the deductible is they do not believe it. Most people are covered under employer plans and complain when they have to pay 400 or 500 a month. We are self employed and have no other choice in the state where we live.

We thought about moving to another state but retiring in our state is very tax friendly compared to many other states. We have quite a bit of tax deferred money so that is an important factor.

Yes, I wanted the ACA appealed and replaced since health insurance in the US is sitting on a foundation of sand. Will the replacement plan be better and cheaper? Maybe cheaper for younger people but I have faith that it will be better than my anticipated premium under the ACA in 2018.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Well it is ridiculous and many middle class with incomes above 65,000 are paying for this type of plan that covers nothing. If you are in your late 50's or early 60's. We are both healthy and have had high deductible plans for over 10 years. We have never met our deductible even when it was 2600.

When I tell people how much we pay and how much the deductible is they do not believe it. Most people are covered under employer plans and complain when they have to pay 400 or 500 a month. We are self employed and have no other choice in the state where we live.

We thought about moving to another state but retiring in our state is very tax friendly compared to many other states. We have quite a bit of tax deferred money so that is an important factor.

Yes, I wanted the ACA appealed and replaced since health insurance in the US is sitting on a foundation of sand. Will the replacement plan be better and cheaper? Maybe cheaper for younger people but I have faith that it will be better than my anticipated premium under the ACA in 2018.

Good luck with that. Tom Price is my Congressman. I have been to his office and his town halls. He does not care about you or me. You will find this out very quickly. The answer is single payer coverage, as in Medicare for everyone. Instead, Price will push to make even Medicare a voucher system (sounds like ACA for senior citizens, doesn't it?). I can't wait to see 90 year-olds trying to navigate the private health insurance market with vouchers that don't keep up with inflation. Death panels anyone?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Good luck with that. Tom Price is my Congressman. I have been to his office and his town halls. He does not care about you or me. You will find this out very quickly. The answer is single payer coverage, as in Medicare for everyone. Instead, Price will push to make even Medicare a voucher system (sounds like ACA for senior citizens, doesn't it?). I can't wait to see 90 year-olds trying to navigate the private health insurance market with vouchers that don't keep up with inflation. Death panels anyone?
Well I am staying positive about it.

Personally, I do not think many politicians care about any of us. That is how a non politician got into office. There is no doubt that whatever health plan they put in 40% of the people will be mad, 40% happy and 20% will not care.

Currently, we are paying a $21,084 annual health insurance premium before we ever walk into a dr's office. Then we pay another 2000-3000 per year if we see doctors or have prescriptions. In our case, we need a reprieve but others are in much better health plans with lower premiums and deductibles.

btw, I told a friend who lives in the same state who is retiring this year what health insurance premiums will cost him and his wife and he was shocked. He basically questioned that more than 1/3 of his retirement money per month would go toward health insurance. Yep, that's correct.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
In a couple years DH goes on Medicare and I will have to find insurance. I have not looked into it, knowing that it would be a waste of time to learn the current system when it is changing so quickly.
I can totally relate to you on this one!

Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Well I am staying positive about it.

Personally, I do not think many politicians care about any of us. That is how a non politician got into office. There is no doubt that whatever health plan they put in 40% of the people will be mad, 40% happy and 20% will not care.

Currently, we are paying a $21,084 annual health insurance premium before we ever walk into a dr's office. Then we pay another 2000-3000 per year if we see doctors or have prescriptions. In our case, we need a reprieve but others are in much better health plans with lower premiums and deductibles.

btw, I told a friend who lives in the same state who is retiring this year what health insurance premiums will cost him and his wife and he was shocked. He basically questioned that more than 1/3 of his retirement money per month would go toward health insurance. Yep, that's correct.

I am still working and I have employer-subsidized insurance, but out of curiosity I plugged my information into the ACA website a few weeks ago, just to see what my premiums would be if I were on my own. I would not qualify for a subsidy and the result WAS pretty shocking. Something has to be done. I will also hope for the best for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement