U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 589,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
Well I am staying positive about it.

Personally, I do not think many politicians care about any of us. That is how a non politician got into office. There is no doubt that whatever health plan they put in 40% of the people will be mad, 40% happy and 20% will not care.

Currently, we are paying a $21,084 annual health insurance premium before we ever walk into a dr's office. Then we pay another 2000-3000 per year if we see doctors or have prescriptions. In our case, we need a reprieve but others are in much better health plans with lower premiums and deductibles.

btw, I told a friend who lives in the same state who is retiring this year what health insurance premiums will cost him and his wife and he was shocked. He basically questioned that more than 1/3 of his retirement money per month would go toward health insurance. Yep, that's correct.

I am still working and I have employer-subsidized insurance, but out of curiosity I plugged my information into the ACA website a few weeks ago, just to see what my premiums would be if I were on my own. I would not qualify for a subsidy and the result WAS pretty shocking. Something has to be done. I will also hope for the best for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronSubotnick View Post
1). My point was to your statement that it is extremely rare for most people to retire with considerable assets when young. The percentage is larger than you think. At 45, most of my friends and I ended paying working careers, because they worked smarter, not harder.

2). In terms of taking time off, I have so many hobbies that my vacations are based on building things, learning things, and doing things complex enough that I was not sure I could do it. Ever build a pro-street drag car as a vacation hobby? I love it, and that ignores traveling 4 months a year now. To you it may suck, but this thread isn't about you; it is about retiring in your 30's and 40's with millions and using ACA.

3). Extremely rare? While only 1% of the millionaires at less than 35 years old (you know how many people that is?), the average age is 62, and there are 3.3M millionaires and 41.2 thousand millionaires worth over $30M. It is not exactly 'rare'. A dollar isn't what it used to be.

Back to the thread,; if you have serious illnesses (as I have had), private insurance is far, far more cost effective than ACA.
Luck plays a major part. I get a kick out of how people who have done well are sure that they alone are 100% responsible for it, but when things don't turn out so well, it's caused by bad luck or other people or the government.

But luck does play a major part in many people's lives. You were lucky your employer didn't lay you off and you had to get new employment that paid you a fraction of your prior salary (often the case...you are spoiled goods, once laid off). You were lucky you didn't get a brain tumor or some other cancer at a youngish age, depleting your savings account despite excellent employer provided insurance. You were lucky your employer didn't go out of business. You were lucky you had the parents you had, or were raised in the area of town your were raised in, or were born and raised in the city you were raised in.

There are a million points of good luck along the way for anyone. For some, many of these never happen. For some, many of those things do happen.

One can make it despite bad luck. And one can fail despite good luck. But for most, a head start is a good thing and sets off a series of good luck events. Good parents, good grades, good part of town, good connections, being the "right sort" to fit into a certain work environment. Good luck. Buffeted by action on the person's part and taking advantage of opportunities. Hard work is very helpful, but not absolutely required for some. Being the "right sort" is more helpful than working hard. We've all known the work horses at our companies. The ones who keep the place running, who consistently turn in A quality work on time. The ones who never quite make the big bucks or get the promotions, while the schmoozer who looks the part gets ahead. The schmoozer with the well to do father who provides the down payment on a nice car or the down payment on a condo, so that he can continue to look the part he aspires to.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I am still working and I have employer-subsidized insurance, but out of curiosity I plugged my information into the ACA website a few weeks ago, just to see what my premiums would be if I were on my own. I would not qualify for a subsidy and the result WAS pretty shocking. Something has to be done. I will also hope for the best for everyone.
So you can see why we need to scrap this ACA and replace it with an Affordable Care package.

I realize that a tiny group of people have found that it helps them, while a massive group gets screwed.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:31 PM

249 posts, read 196,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Luck plays a major part. I get a kick out of how people who have done well are sure that they alone are 100% responsible for it, but when things don't turn out so well, it's caused by bad luck or other people or the government.

But luck does play a major part in many people's lives. You were lucky your employer didn't lay you off and you had to get new employment that paid you a fraction of your prior salary (often the case...you are spoiled goods, once laid off). You were lucky you didn't get a brain tumor or some other cancer at a youngish age, depleting your savings account despite excellent employer provided insurance. You were lucky your employer didn't go out of business. You were lucky you had the parents you had, or were raised in the area of town your were raised in, or were born and raised in the city you were raised in.

There are a million points of good luck along the way for anyone. For some, many of these never happen. For some, many of those things do happen.

One can make it despite bad luck. And one can fail despite good luck. But for most, a head start is a good thing and sets off a series of good luck events. Good parents, good grades, good part of town, good connections, being the "right sort" to fit into a certain work environment. Good luck. Buffeted by action on the person's part and taking advantage of opportunities. Hard work is very helpful, but not absolutely required for some. Being the "right sort" is more helpful than working hard. We've all known the work horses at our companies. The ones who keep the place running, who consistently turn in A quality work on time. The ones who never quite make the big bucks or get the promotions, while the schmoozer who looks the part gets ahead. The schmoozer with the well to do father who provides the down payment on a nice car or the down payment on a condo, so that he can continue to look the part he aspires to.
I find people who believe "luck" controls their life don't control their own life. Successful people control their "luck" recognizing and seizing an opportunity, they accept responsibility for bad decisions, learn from them and move forward.

How do you explain people who were born and lived in the "wrong" town, had the "wrong" parents, got sick, lost their jobs and still manage to do well with their life?

They had all the bad "luck", but manage to press on, is it luck or perseverance?

I just can't buy the I'm just unlucky, that other person is just lucky.

Last edited by cmarlin20; 01-27-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 PM

19,899 posts, read 14,228,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So you can see why we need to scrap this ACA and replace it with an Affordable Care package.

I realize that a tiny group of people have found that it helps them, while a massive group gets screwed.
That's not a Win-Win for everyone.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:54 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's not a Win-Win for everyone.
Scrapping the ACA [which benefits a minority] and replacing it with an Affordable Care package that offers Affordable Care to everyone, is NOT a Win-Win ?

Okay, walk me through this one, please.

Option A [the Dem package] is to screw millions. Option B is screw nobody, but to help everyone.

Last edited by Submariner; 01-27-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 6 days ago)

5,598 posts, read 6,691,901 times
Quote:
Scrapping the ACA [which benefits a minority] and replacing it with an Affordable Care package that offers Affordable Care to everyone, is NOT a Win-Win ?

Option A [the Dem package] is to screw millions. Option B is screw nobody, but to help everyone.
Option A [the Dem package] is to screw millions: the ACA. Option B [the Repub package] is to screw everybody: the JDA ...Just Die Already!

Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM

5,934 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Can you provide details on Option B? I've yet to see any numbers on a plan that screws nobody and helps everyone. It is a lot easier to talk about as a campaign talking point without outlining the nuts and bolts of it.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:59 PM

19,899 posts, read 14,228,365 times
Quote:

Define the nebulously subjective meaning of "affordable."

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM

25,976 posts, read 32,984,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can you provide details on Option B? I've yet to see any numbers on a plan that screws nobody and helps everyone. It is a lot easier to talk about as a campaign talking point without outlining the nuts and bolts of it.
Agreed. And quite frankly, not EVERYONE needs help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or