U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,523,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fair share is what the laws say is the minimum amount you should legally pay. get the laws changed if you ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE WAY IT WORKS , BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS .
did you agree with that Michigan woman who won the lottery and insisted on still getting food stamps ?

Retiring early is a luxury.

I hate to see people enjoying a luxury on taxpayers expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 AM

71,564 posts, read 71,730,589 times
i am sure we can all find some ridiculous scenario's for or against something that just shouldn't be or is borderline fraud .

Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If your dumb enough to want a single payer system....
You need to open your eyes and see how the VA treats it's vets.

BIG MISTAKE.
I agree.

Look at medical tourism to see the issues with government provided healthcare.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 1,507 times
How about people who have a net worth over 1 mil and still take a deduction for mortgage interest, should they be means tested. Everyone is just following the laws our legislators passed. Don't blame us for following them.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 3,864,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
fair share is what the laws say is the minimum amount you should legally pay. get the laws changed if you ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE WAY IT WORKS , BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS .
Where in tax law do they refer to it as "fair share"? It is your 'tax liability", and that has nothing to do with paying a "fair share" that you so often refer to. Even though the laws definitely benefit my family, I don't pretend that they are fair, and I think they should be changed.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektalure View Post
How about people who have a net worth over 1 mil and still take a deduction for mortgage interest, should they be means tested. Everyone is just following the laws our legislators passed. Don't blame us for following them.
I thought the ACA, while it only provides healthcare to some of our citizenship, only focuses on your income. Not your Net Worth. Like is done with Food Stamps and public housing.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Retiring early is a luxury.

I hate to see people enjoying a luxury on taxpayers expense.
BS.

We "retired early" as a result of an obvious upcoming layoff - it was take early retirement with these defined benefits or wait around for the layoff (about 100 people took the early retirement, about 2,500 people were laid over the next 9 months).

Engineering firms are remarkably uninterested in engineers in their late 50s as a new full time hire. Contract work (piecemeal and pretty much part time) does not include health care benefits. So we have been "retired," working what amounts to part-time, for several years now.

I'd rearranged our finances to actually be eligible for a subsidy this year - our Silver level plan is going to $1,825 and I don't know about you, but I flat-out cannot pay that without a subsidy. With a subsidy it drops to around $1,100, which is steep but I CAN pay. Unfortunately, I don't trust the Republicans not to defund all of the subsidies.

(As it turns out we will be going back on the retiree program from the spouse's employer because it is a "health care insurance policy in the hand" rather than an "undefined - and probably imaginary - Republican policy somewhere out in the deep bush")

Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM

3,934 posts, read 7,523,217 times
In a couple years DH goes on Medicare and I will have to find insurance. I have not looked into it, knowing that it would be a waste of time to learn the current system when it is changing so quickly.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,439,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This is a 'loop hole' that bothers me a bit.
Younger retired people that could easily pay for their insurance but since only income is counted, they are subsidized.
I know of several couples that retired in their late 50's and have much more in savings that I could ever have amassed but have low enough income and pay less a month for the two of them than I do for Medicare plus supplements( and high deductible ones, at that) for only one of me.
My biggest complaint with the current system is a result of my being a part-time resident of a state other than my home state-of-residence.

In my home state, I'm covered. Out of state, I am "out of network." ER visits are covered, but everything else is "out of network" even though my insurance company is nationwide. I could not find any insurance plan where I'm in-network while out-of-state (my vacation home).

My hope is this "feature" is changed in TrumpCare.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM

9,893 posts, read 3,275,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We signed up for it 2 years ago (age 59 then) and apparently our assets didn't matter. Just our income is what they based the premiums on, and we had low income so yes, are subsidized. I just got my statement from the ACA and the total the provider was billed was $128,800 . ACA "settled" for $28,000.

Stunning! A hip replacement and 2 ER visits. I won't say how low our premium is for fear of ticking off the anti-ACA's sect. But I paid into Cobra for many years and never used it back then. We are all worried about Obamacare going away, but are signing up for the National Health care plan here in our new country. $80 per couple per month, everything included.
$80 ...

That is right in the ball park for a number of countries. Funny thing is the Americans still don't understand that the only reason Healthcare costs so much is because the Republicans have blocked cheap healthcare for decades ....

It seems to me that Republicans resist anything that might improve the lives of the bottom half, which leads me to believe that republicans are a self loathing bunch, why else would someone block their grandma from having ACA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or