Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retired- under 65? Do you get Obamacare Subsidies?
Yes and I am proud of it 28 31.46%
No, I am paying for the insurance without help 30 33.71%
My ex employer pays for my health insurance 21 23.60%
What is Obamacare? 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM

106,558 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
In the ER forum, they brag about both husband and wife retired early, have more than a million, maybe two million, in their 30s, eat caviar and travel often. They also have a blog on how to retire early. You can see if everybody who is doing this, nobody will pay into the system. Heathy young bodies. I only know that because they also appeared on TV. It's not illegal but is it something we should encourage as a society.
see what goes on over at mister money mustache . not working and living off the system seems to be a way of life. i spend very little time there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,231,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have an aca plan but no subsidy . i was a poor tax planner
You and me both. Hope I am able to buy affordable or any insurance through 2019...

Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
it really amounts to the same thing .

it is no different than your fair share of taxes is whatever you can legally get them down to with the laws and tools put in place .

your medical insurance is the same . using the tools and laws left in place your fair share is the lowest you can get them down to .

why should someone with 1 million in a roth pay anything different than someone with 1 million in a traditional ira, for medical insurance yet the roth income does not count towards reducing a subsidy and the traditional income can reduce your subsidy .

it is because the laws and tools in place allow it .

Since when is everything that is legal automatically fair?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
This thread isn't covering the more disturbing issue for the under-65 people if ACA vaporizes. It's not just the subsidy that goes away. It's the mandate that the highest risk person only pays 3x the premium of the youngest, healthiest policy holder. Kind of by definition, anyone age 60 is very high risk compared to someone in their 20's. The true market rate cost of health insurance for someone in their 60's is enormous when you don't have younger, healthier people paying the freight. I don't see that most 60-year-olds can handle $20,000 per person in insurance premiums for pretty lousy high deductible insurance. That $20,000 is just my educated guess but I'll bet it's not too far off.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
The talk about rates going up again, well short term memory for many. Premiums for many used to be lower before ACA came along. ACA drove up premium costs as well as costs that doctors charge.

To make things really equal, I'd LOVE to see whatever is approved by our elected officials is the same coverage they, and their families, get.
as you well remember... A(?)CA excluded one certain group... THEMSELVES!
Just wrong: Congress quietly takes ObamaCare waiver | TheHill

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
as you well remember... A(?)CA excluded one certain group... THEMSELVES!
Just wrong: Congress quietly takes ObamaCare waiver | TheHill
Forbes had an opinion piece ACA actually raise premium substantially.

Forbes Welcome

Old 01-18-2017, 06:15 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
This will not be an issue after Friday....
Yeah - Caligula takes office. Let the games begin!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Forbes had an opinion piece ACA actually raise premium substantially.
Quote:
Lifetime Limits Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, lifetime limits on most benefits are prohibited in any health plan or insurance policy. Previously, many plans set a lifetime limit — a dollar limit on what they would spend for your covered benefits during the entire time you were enrolled in that plan. You were required to pay the cost of all care exceeding those limits.

https://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/about...its/index.html

How much does unlimited benefits cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The true market rate cost of health insurance for someone in their 60's is enormous when you don't have younger, healthier people paying the freight.
You don't have a "true market rate".

States interfere by enacting insurance rules and regulations, which drives up the price of health plan coverage. For example, 44 of 50 States require autism to be covered. The federal government via the ACA interferes by requiring coverage as well.

Quote:
Every health plan must cover the following services:
  • Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization (like surgery and overnight stays)
  • Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care (both before and after birth)
  • Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions gain or recover mental and physical skills)
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
  • Pediatric services, including oral and vision care (but adult dental and vision coverage aren’t essential health benefits)
Additional benefits

Plans must also include the following benefits:
https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/...e-plans-cover/

Seniors are being forced to pay for many services which they neither need nor desire, such as pediatric services, pregnancy, maternal/newborn care, birth control and breast-feeding coverage.

If you had true Free Market health plan coverage, everyone, including seniors would be able to tailor their plan coverage to suit their individual/family needs.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This is a 'loop hole' that bothers me a bit.
Younger retired people that could easily pay for their insurance but since only income is counted, they are subsidized.
I know of several couples that retired in their late 50's and have much more in savings that I could ever have amassed but have low enough income and pay less a month for the two of them than I do for Medicare plus supplements( and high deductible ones, at that) for only one of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It's not Uncle Sam that is paying your health insurance; it's taxpayers....most of whom do not have a million dollars or more in assets. It's time your 'sweet deal' ends.
This

Quote:
medicare is no different . you can have millions in assets but the only time they count in setting your premium level is when they are sold and become taxable income ..

you pay the same low premium as folks with a lot less in assets until something is sold .
Quote:
It bothers me too but not the 50s something. Younger bums in their 30s and 40s, who are capable of working, but know how to milk the system. Not good for the economy.
Numbers on SS disability are astronomical. I know whole families on disability for low intelligence and they are breeding kids like rabbits. People who are drug addicts can get disability. I know a couple of those. Went on it at a young age and will be on it until they die of old age.

Quote:
A lot of people don't have subsidy. My kid doesn't get any subsidy, she doesn't have a lot of assets either, she gets her plan on the market. So I doubt about the going without insurance part.

I went on Medicare at 65. My husband is younger than I am. When OC came out, he looked at the plans and the costs and it was $1600 a month for a basic plan with a several thousand dollar deductible. We don't make a lot of money, self employed. We barely get by. I am now 73, he is 66. We could not afford the insurance and paid the penalty. We are tax preparers and know many in the same boat, not young people either. We will be working until we die but, our house is paid for though needing some repairs. He is blind in one eye and desperately needs cataract surgery, with good lens. That won't happen.

It is a little painful to hear of the people who have major assets and get subsidies when we struggle for the basics of life and pay our taxes faithfully.

I need to leave this thread. <s>

Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This

Numbers on SS disability are astronomical. ....

...We barely get by. I am now 73, he is 66. We could not afford the insurance and paid the penalty. We are tax preparers and know many in the same boat, not young people either. We will be working until we die but, our house is paid for though needing some repairs.

I need to leave this thread. <s>
You have legitimate concerns and are paying the dear price (frustrated and uninsured) .

There are 15 legal ways to not be under penalty (even if you are not employed by Congress..., or in jail!)
https://www.healthcare.gov/health-co...-how-to-apply/
https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ion-exemptions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement