Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:40 PM

496 posts, read 411,651 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to divide the property - sell the house, outbuildings and several acres for enough to pay off the mortgage and move to an apartment closer to your husband's work, then when the rest of the land sells, use that to purchase a home or condo in a less expensive location. If this worked out, you would have to re home your livestock, but it might be a way out of this situation and enable you to save some money. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM

885 posts, read 1,166,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Is it possible to divide the property - sell the house, outbuildings and several acres for enough to pay off the mortgage and move to an apartment closer to your husband's work, then when the rest of the land sells, use that to purchase a home or condo in a less expensive location. If this worked out, you would have to re home your livestock, but it might be a way out of this situation and enable you to save some money. Just a thought.
We thought of that, but can't get enough $ to pay the mortgage. Had some ppl who wanted the buy the hay fields but they would not even come up to market value of $2K / acre.

Also we rent that land so we can get an agriculture exemption on our property taxes. If we sold it we would lose the ag exempt which lowers our taxes. Even on regular house size lots of 1/4 or 1/3 acre, property taxes run about $4K to about $7K.

The other part of our property is hills, mostly a wood lot. And before you ask, we had someone come in, it was already logged. The trees are only good for personal firewood/ hunting. Even our firewood guy didn't want it.

Thanks again to everyone who answered. I guess we'll just have to take 1 day at a time, and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:54 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I don't expect my kids to do anything. I am just worried that someday we made need to go into a nursing home and it is a nice idea of having someone check the place out with us (some places are nightmares).

Or having someone check on us once in a while in case I fall (my sister in law fell a few yrs ago and laid at the bottom of her cellar stairs for over 24 hrs with a broken hip. Only because no one could get a hold of her by phone did her daughter go check on her- and she was only in her late 60's then).

The money problem is we don't have extra money.

I've even looked into the Tiny House Movement. My house now is 2600SF and we have 103 acres. It's too much for us. At this point I'd like a small house, maybe even a condo. Although I think they would frown upon us bringing my 2 pet goats and 1 pet sheep. We may have someone who would take them if we HAD to rehome them but I'd like to take them with us. Good lawnmowers.

I'm not afraid of losing my current lifestyle- I want to IMPROVE my lifestyle.
Too much going on here. Every post brings another stumbling block. 103-acres and not farmers? The place isn't saleable?
Can we get a link to the listing?
Now we have two goats and a sheep going with you to a condo?
I think this thread is just entertainment now.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Too much going on here. Every post brings another stumbling block. 103-acres and not farmers? The place isn't saleable?
Can we get a link to the listing?
Now we have two goats and a sheep going with you to a condo?
I think this thread is just entertainment now.
I'd like to buy something if I could bring my goats and sheep (a small home on maybe 1 acre), but if life puts us in a place where we can't, then obviously we will re-home them. I WISH I could take them into a condo.

We raised goats (we had a commercial goat dairy once) and sheep at one time, and started a horse rescue, but now due to getting older, Hubbie's back surgery (he's doing very well) and my fibromyalgia we had to give that all up.

Now we want to sell because we don't need , nor able to care for, such a big place.

And yes we are having trouble selling, but so is everyone else- even ppl we know that just have regular suburban houses. The real estate agents tell us all, that handyman's/ cheap places or very high end, are the only places that are moving. That's both in NY and Mass. We know someone who had her house for sale for $135K (a 1950's bungalow) and after 3 yrs on the market, now rents it to a relative.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:48 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
We thought of that, but can't get enough $ to pay the mortgage. Had some ppl who wanted the buy the hay fields but they would not even come up to market value of $2K / acre.

Also we rent that land so we can get an agriculture exemption on our property taxes. If we sold it we would lose the ag exempt which lowers our taxes. Even on regular house size lots of 1/4 or 1/3 acre, property taxes run about $4K to about $7K.

The other part of our property is hills, mostly a wood lot. And before you ask, we had someone come in, it was already logged. The trees are only good for personal firewood/ hunting. Even our firewood guy didn't want it.

Thanks again to everyone who answered. I guess we'll just have to take 1 day at a time, and see what happens.
How much are you asking for the entire property including house and 103 acres?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
How much are you asking for the entire property including house and 103 acres?

Interested?? We are asking $384K for 2600sf house,3 bed/ 1 1/2 bath, formal foyer, parlor, L/R, large country kitchen and large formal D/R, new appliances (3yrs old), jetted tub, stall shower, wood cookstove in kitchen, woodstove in L/R, wrap around covered porch, wood storage room off kitchen, new doors this yr, new roof 2013, new thermal windows, fruit trees and berry bushes, 2 staircases, new patio door in kitchen that opens to a cover patio (that's fenced for dogs) electric dog fence, basement, and "standup" attic for storage.

1- 103 acres (about 30 acres woodlot, 55 acres hay, 10 acres pasture, 5 acres for house/lawn/driveway, etc),

2- large barn with double level hay loft, small cow area, general barn area, and horse area with 2 box stalls, and 8 straight stalls with water and electric, milking parlor that we use as a hen house

3- open machinery barn,

4- small barn with open "car port", and attached machinery area

5- large Garage with run in for horses, storage, tack room and workshop, with electric

6.- 1 car garage,

7- a run in for horses/animals,

8-small smoke house

9-corn crib

10- grain house

11- pond

12- 2 springs (one is housed)

Old 01-26-2017, 05:04 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Interested?? We are asking $384K for 2600sf house,3 bed/ 1 1/2 bath, formal foyer, parlor, L/R, large country kitchen and large formal D/R, new appliances (3yrs old), jetted tub, stall shower, wood cookstove in kitchen, woodstove in L/R, wrap around covered porch, wood storage room off kitchen, new doors this yr, new roof 2013, new thermal windows, fruit trees and berry bushes, 2 staircases, new patio door in kitchen that opens to a cover patio (that's fenced for dogs) electric dog fence, basement, and "standup" attic for storage.

1- 103 acres (about 30 acres woodlot, 55 acres hay, 10 acres pasture, 5 acres for house/lawn/driveway, etc),

2- large barn with double level hay loft, small cow area, general barn area, and horse area with 2 box stalls, and 8 straight stalls with water and electric, milking parlor that we use as a hen house

3- open machinery barn,

4- small barn with open "car port", and attached machinery area

5- large Garage with run in for horses, storage, tack room and workshop, with electric

6.- 1 car garage,

7- a run in for horses/animals,

8-small smoke house

9-corn crib

10- grain house

11- pond

12- 2 springs (one is housed)
I am surprised you haven't received some offers. Are property taxes outrageous?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I am surprised you haven't received some offers. Are property taxes outrageous?
It's New York, so yes.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanks everyone. Some ideas for us to think about.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Have I mentioned my nice gun collection?
Such things are sometimes handy. I'm working on myself to be strong enough not to linger when it's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement