U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 AM

4,965 posts, read 2,286,772 times

Advertisements

My husband is a lost cause.

Totally stuck in his ways & I just let him be. It's more amusing to me than anything. He's older(61) than me (49) & I've seen photos of him in his 20's & he looks EXACTLY the same.

To be fair, he is a really big guy & most retailers who have "Big & Tall" departments seem to cater to the men with very large waist sizes so he has had a daily "uniform" of "What works" for 40+ years now: Work boots, Wrangler "Cowboy Cut " jeans size 38" x 38" & a 3X T-shirt. Maybe a Carhartt coat if it's cold..

He's been a Welder since he was 15 & even though he's a shop supervisor for a large manufacturer he's never converted to the tyoical "blue collar" button down shirt look. I'm not sure most would fit him right anyway.

But his work clothes are full of burn holes & black grime from working with metal all day & he could care less. He won't toss a hopeless pair of jeans until his pockets rip all the way out (I think he averages about 3 replacement debit cards per year).

Three times since last spring his truck has broke down on his way home from work, usually at around 1am & while walking home he's been stopped by police EVERY time. They never give him a reason; they just want to run his ID & ask him what "he's doing".

I'd be annoyed too if I were him but to be honest; between his size (6'5"/260lbs) the jagged scar on his forehead & scalp which you can see from his self-clipped haircut (motorcycle accident) & the way he walks with a lurch (different motorcycle accident) he does kind of resemble Frankenstein ... I guess the upside is that nobody ever bothers him or wants to hustle him for money.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Men's Warehouse has women's clothes, or they tweaked men's clothes to fit a women's figure? Just curious.
No women's clothing there.
Tweaked.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:15 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,777,271 times
my wife just buys my clothes , throws out what she dose not like and i wear what i have available to me . if it was up to me i would wear things until they got holes and fell a part . i never was in to buying clothes . just stuff i really enjoy . .

i just wear what she gives me ha ha ha

Old 01-21-2017, 04:56 AM

9,950 posts, read 11,940,010 times
I have many types of clothes: Work in the yard clothes, go to the doctor clothes, go to the store clothes, lounge around my house clothes and so forth. I think it depends where you are, what you can wear.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I sure understand how the OP feels. My DH wears a huge key ring and I actually don't mind that. I do mind that he never gets out of his work clothes, the shorts and white t-shirts, white sox and velcro sneakers. If it's cooler he'll wear old jeans instead of the shorts, but everything, though clean, is stained with his work materials that do not come out in the laundry.

He's so used to wearing this stuff. And most every day he'll need to run into a supply house and pick up materials and of course he's in work clothes; and he'll stop in the supermarket on the way home to pick up stuff for next day's lunch. So he's used to going in places dressed like this.

The other day we had to go into a lawyer's office. I came out in a nice pair of slacks and a nice top, decent flat shoes, hair groomed etc. Not fancy, but neat and respectable. I asked if he was planning to change. No, but he did put on a flannel shirt, unbuttoned because it was chilly. Everybody in the office was in dresses, suits.

I think he's so wrapped up in his occupation that he just doesn't see himself any other way. I think he feels conspicuous in anything but his work attire. I think this is how he "tells" the world this is what he is and what he does.

I know I've read threads in here from men complaining about wives letting themselves go. How come there's a double standard?
I had noticed the double standard comment earlier and meant to post about it. Of course this is an unfair double standard, very few of us would be OK if our wives went out in the female equivilent to the OP's description of her husband. Husbands constantly complain about their wives letting themselves go. Who wants a spouse who looks like trash regardless of sex?

So why does the husband get a free pass simply because he an older man? Answer is he doesn't. Going to a lawyer's office dressed like you are in the middle of a work day on the farm plowing the back 40 is simply ridiculous and makes you and everyone you are with like like an idiot. As I said it is very selfish.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-21-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-21-2017, 06:31 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
In thinking about this thread again, I think there might be a solution or at least a reasonable compromise.

I have never had any interest in clothing or fashion or styles, but I found a compromise that keeps my wife happy at least most of the time. When I retired 6 years ago, we got rid of most of our stuff, sold the house and took off for full time travel in a small RV. There was no room for old, worn out or excess clothing. All the old office work clothing went to Goodwill or the garbage. So did the old shirts, jackets, pretty much everything I owned. I keep a couple of dress shirts, one red tie, one black tie, a blue blazer and black shoes and socks. I have worn that rig exactly once in 6 years.

When I replaced my old clothing, I decided to buy multi-purpose clothing. I wanted to travel and visit national parks but also visit cities and museums and art galleries. Instead of jeans, I bought decent looking khaki pants and shorts. They actually cost less than most jeans. My typical shirt is a solid colored pocket T shirt. I bought a dozen or so at $4 each. I have replaced a few, but most of the originals are still brightly colored and look new. I also have a few Polos for a slightly better look. I also bought some new flannels for cold weather and some long sleeved light weight shirts. My long sleeved light weight shirts are those expensive, high tech outdoor shirts. A couple were really expensive but over the years I have found several on sale in the $15-20 range. I still have the ones from 6 years ago and will likely have them for another 10 years. I just don't wear them often.

I do have one old set of clothes set aside for painting, chalking and other really dirty projects. Otherwise, I toss my clothes whenever they fade, stain or otherwise look bad. That almost never happens. A year ago I replaced my everyday pants, 2 pair of khakis for $15 at Costco. They still look new, although my wife says they do not look crisp and pressed. Actually, I don't think they ever did. This year I splurged again. Costco has really great travel pants that fit me. Along with my old set, I now have 3 more pair of new "travel" pants, 95% nylon. They should last for years and years.

All the old ratty stuff is long gone, but I do not need to think about clothing or what I am going to wear. There is almost no cost or fuss with any of it.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:07 AM

I have heard the term fashion floated around this thread a lot and I'm not sure it's appropriate but maybe that's just me. To me fashion means being concerned about what is in style, really caring about what you are wearing. This isn't a situation where fashion comes in to play IMO, it's more a matter of common sense.

You do not need to be overly concerned about how your clothes match to understand that showing up in a professional setting such as a doctor or lawyer office requires appropriate clothing. It's just not that big of a deal to understand and be aware of this just as it's obvious that you don't show up at a nice restaurant in a Haynes plain white tee shirt. Again this does not mean you need a tie at the lawyer simply because everyone else has one and this does not mean dressing according to GQ's definition of current fashion. It means using common sense and not showing up looking like a homeless person or a farmer.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
In thinking about this thread again, I think there might be a solution or at least a reasonable compromise.

I have never had any interest in clothing or fashion or styles, but I found a compromise that keeps my wife happy at least most of the time. When I retired 6 years ago, we got rid of most of our stuff, sold the house and took off for full time travel in a small RV. There was no room for old, worn out or excess clothing. All the old office work clothing went to Goodwill or the garbage. So did the old shirts, jackets, pretty much everything I owned. I keep a couple of dress shirts, one red tie, one black tie, a blue blazer and black shoes and socks. I have worn that rig exactly once in 6 years.

When I replaced my old clothing, I decided to buy multi-purpose clothing. I wanted to travel and visit national parks but also visit cities and museums and art galleries. Instead of jeans, I bought decent looking khaki pants and shorts. They actually cost less than most jeans. My typical shirt is a solid colored pocket T shirt. I bought a dozen or so at $4 each. I have replaced a few, but most of the originals are still brightly colored and look new. I also have a few Polos for a slightly better look. I also bought some new flannels for cold weather and some long sleeved light weight shirts. My long sleeved light weight shirts are those expensive, high tech outdoor shirts. A couple were really expensive but over the years I have found several on sale in the $15-20 range. I still have the ones from 6 years ago and will likely have them for another 10 years. I just don't wear them often.

I do have one old set of clothes set aside for painting, chalking and other really dirty projects. Otherwise, I toss my clothes whenever they fade, stain or otherwise look bad. That almost never happens. A year ago I replaced my everyday pants, 2 pair of khakis for $15 at Costco. They still look new, although my wife says they do not look crisp and pressed. Actually, I don't think they ever did. This year I splurged again. Costco has really great travel pants that fit me. Along with my old set, I now have 3 more pair of new "travel" pants, 95% nylon. They should last for years and years.

All the old ratty stuff is long gone, but I do not need to think about clothing or what I am going to wear. There is almost no cost or fuss with any of it.

Nice post. I am a huge fan of polo shirts, plain gray in particular. Incredibly versatile. I can wear it to the local semi-redneck bar for a burger down the road, to the movies, a party, the golf course and yes the doctor's office.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:23 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nice post. I am a huge fan of polo shirts, plain gray in particular. Incredibly versatile. I can wear it to the local semi-redneck bar for a burger down the road, to the movies, a party, the golf course and yes the doctor's office.
Actually I only own a few Polo style shirts. The difference between that and my usual pocket Ts is the addition of a pocket. Polos are also often multicolored. I tend to avoid the collars because the T can then be worn as an undershirt when needed. That does not work for the Polo. Then there is the cost issue: plain solid color T is $2, pocket T is $4 and Polos typically $6-8. I won't pay more than $10 as I don't want to encourage stores to rip off the customers.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Actually I only own a few Polo style shirts. The difference between that and my usual pocket Ts is the addition of a pocket. Polos are also often multicolored. I tend to avoid the collars because the T can then be worn as an undershirt when needed. That does not work for the Polo. Then there is the cost issue: plain solid color T is $2, pocket T is $4 and Polos typically $6-8. I won't pay more than $10 as I don't want to encourage stores to rip off the customers.
I'm a big fan of long sleeve tee shirts for spring and fall. And of course tee shirts have a valuable place in everyone's life and adding a pocket makes it more versatile. But I wasn't trying to compare a polo with a tee shirt, just sharing your view to obtain versatile clothing. I wouldn't wear a tee shirt even with a pocket to a Christmas party or out to dinner and they won't let you on a golf course where you need a collar. All of these places are perfect for a polo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement