U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 07:42 AM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
...... I wouldn't wear a tee shirt even with a pocket to a Christmas party or out to dinner and they won't let you on a golf course where you need a collar. All of these places are perfect for a polo.
So the addition of a collar somehow makes a knit shirt acceptable for a variety of occasions. This is exactly why I have no interest in trying to keep up with fashion expectations. Maybe I can shop around for a clip on collar so I can keep up with the expectations of the local gold course.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
OP, your husband sounds like a man who is comfortable with himself, self-assured, and with no need to impress anyone. I'd prefer his type to a dapper man with toupee or dyed hair. Did I say 'dapper'? Ha!

Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Plus a woman that hates to shop for clothes? Pretty rare.
(Raises hand.)

Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Me neither, but when I find one thing I like I buy it in every color. Hence I've been wearing most of the same stuff for 15+ years.
I am also beginning to think I might have been an engineer in a past life...I fit right in with the mentality and style.
Heheh, are you my long-lost twin?

I also seriously considered, not that long ago, just buying tons of black shirts and white shirts and black pants. I like sweaters, so in the winter, I would switch up the sweater I wore over the shirt, but that would be it. I bought a whole bunch of black and white shirts and black pants and was ready to go. I was totally into the idea of not having to spend one minute choosing what to wear. Of course, everything would be fresh and clean; it's not like I would wear the same black pants every day.

Not sure why I didn't go ahead and make the switch completely. Probably worried that my students would think their teacher was very strange. But, like you, when I find a skirt, pants or shirt or like and that fits me well, I buy it in lots of colors. And I wear clothes until they wear out or are stained, so I have had some items for years. Hmmm, maybe I should have been an engineer. Does it count that I almost became a chemist?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Someone buys that stuff but it isn't me.

For starters:

No jewelry
No cosmetics
No perfumes
No nail polish or manicures (ordinary nail clippers do just fine)
No dressy clothes whatsoever
Basic underwear, not that tawdry stuff that MEN are fascinated by
No fancy or high-maintenance hair styles
No special brushes or combs, just a plain black Ace pocket comb and a decent bristle brush

I do like to break up the Ivory Soap routine with some naturally-scented handmade soap bars or shampoos, the kind sold in small indie stores. They smell wonderful yet subtle, to me. And because I live in a dry climate, I apply basic skin lotion (ordinary supermarket stuff) every other day, and sometimes colorless lip balm.

Clothes are chosen for both function and (secondarily) appearance, but if they lack function, I don't buy them at ALL.

I totally relate to the OP's husband even though I am female and not an engineer. Practicality, versatility, and comfort win, hands down.
Yep!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:12 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,009,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He is 77 year old retired Electrical Engineer with 2 degrees and a successful career under his belt. Today he left for a doctor's appointment in old baggy-butted jeans, a black tee shirt and an old flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. Ratty old tennis shoes too and a stocking cap. But the worst part is he wears his key ring on his belt and it hangs down and makes noise with so many keys on it. He looks like a janitor or a building super.
this is how I dress to go to work. Depending on personality type some people like to dress up for the best presentation and others just want to be comfortable.

Since my workplace went casual (or dress for what works) we have some people wearing suits and others just wearing jeans and t shirt and it's an office not a shop floor.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So the addition of a collar somehow makes a knit shirt acceptable for a variety of occasions. This is exactly why I have no interest in trying to keep up with fashion expectations. Maybe I can shop around for a clip on collar so I can keep up with the expectations of the local gold course.

I laughed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
OP, your husband sounds like a man who is comfortable with himself, self-assured, and with no need to impress anyone. I'd prefer his type to a dapper man with toupee or dyed hair. Did I say 'dapper'? Ha!

But you act as if there is no middle ground between the homeless look and the metrosexual GQ model who is constantly looking in the mirror. Impressing my doctor is the last thing on my mind when I put on a decent shirt and pair of pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Heheh, are you my long-lost twin?

I also seriously considered, not that long ago, just buying tons of black shirts and white shirts and black pants. I like sweaters, so in the winter, I would switch up the sweater I wore over the shirt, but that would be it. I bought a whole bunch of black and white shirts and black pants and was ready to go. I was totally into the idea of not having to spend one minute choosing what to wear. Of course, everything would be fresh and clean; it's not like I would wear the same black pants every day.

After work from November through March I wear fleece pants and pullovers around the house. I only have 3 or so of each but I wear them every night. When I got my first "real job" I threw out every dark sock I owned and went to a discount place where I purchased 20 pairs of black sock and 2 tan so I would never have to match socks again. Worked out pretty well for several years.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
"I'm a "pick your battles" kind of person. As long as he dresses decent when you are out together I wouldn't say anything.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
For years after he retired, my dad dressed like a slob and my mom was always on him about it. Then he passed away. Mom said she would have given anything for him to still be with her dressed in any manner he chose.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
I find it interesting that men's clothes are divided between "dress" and comfortable. Can't nice clothes be comfortable? He is trim so there is no issue with binding waists, etc. I would never expect him to wear anything uncomfortable just as I don't either.

Now women's dressy clothes (especially ridiculous shoes) can be uncomfortable. Most require a bra! Most don't have elastic waistbands and fit loosely.

Khakis and a button -down collar shirt look pretty comfortable to me. He also has some of those black "tennis" shoes which look like "grown up " shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement