U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 11:36 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Heheh, are you my long-lost twin?

I also seriously considered, not that long ago, just buying tons of black shirts and white shirts and black pants. I like sweaters, so in the winter, I would switch up the sweater I wore over the shirt, but that would be it. I bought a whole bunch of black and white shirts and black pants and was ready to go. I was totally into the idea of not having to spend one minute choosing what to wear. Of course, everything would be fresh and clean; it's not like I would wear the same black pants every day.

Not sure why I didn't go ahead and make the switch completely. Probably worried that my students would think their teacher was very strange. But, like you, when I find a skirt, pants or shirt or like and that fits me well, I buy it in lots of colors. And I wear clothes until they wear out or are stained, so I have had some items for years. Hmmm, maybe I should have been an engineer. Does it count that I almost became a chemist?
Nothing wrong at all about that. I do it. Tops in the same color even.

Had a teacher back in the 70s that only wore green and white. Then she switched to black and white. Looked great.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 2,597 times
My Dear. After years of dressing up in suits and ties and then to corporate casual, I have no problems looking like a hobo. AS long as he dresses up to go out together with you - this is just another phase in a mans life. Give thanks he is still by your side. There are people out there that dress like they are worth a million dollars but have nothing.

Take care of each other - its all that counts

Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband is a better dresser than me, he always been that way. Except he doesn't mind wearing t-shirt with corporate logos. So if it bothers me, I throw them out without him knowing it. Every year I get him nice new clothes to replace it. I suggest you throw out some of his old clothes, thereby it forces him to wear new ones.
There's your answer. Leave him a few of the scrungy clothes for working on the lawn/garden/whatever, and get rid of the rest of the junk.

Once retired, there's no reason to "save" the good clothes for going out. Else you will always be wearing the old, worn, outdated, only-wear-around-the-house clothes most of the time, which can get depressing.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Family View Post
I'm a 28yr old married man with two young boys and feel really confident about myself when I'm dressed up, not in the sense of caring what anybody thinks about me, but I look in the mirror and like what I see, BUT !!! Most of the time day and night I don't get dressed up because I hate the tightness of shoes, I dread the feeling of pants holding me down, I despise the clean shirt that I'm forced to keep clean, and most of the time I don't like the attention from people, I'm a private person, I also find it amusing when people act flashy but are trashy. Here's a little bit of advice:
In the summer, buy your husband some nice shorts and plain t shirts, buy him some nice slippers and sandles, he will be comfy and still look nice. In the winter buy him a couple nice sweat suits from Walmart and get him some cozzy shoes like Nike, New balance, Adidas. Good luck!!
If your good/dress-up clothes are confining, then they don't fit well. Get some nice clothes and shoes that fit. No reason to live in sweats all the time.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:32 PM

516 posts, read 292,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm the opposite.

I'm a clothes horse.

I own no fewer than 65 - 75 long sleeve shirts (every designer represented), 35 - 40 pants, 15 jackets, 15 sweaters, 22 pairs of shoes, 8 suits, 35 neckties, 10 pairs of cufflinks, 8 hats ... you get the picture.

You have to understand, I am a gay man ... style is important to me.
What does your sexual orientation have anything to do with style being important to you?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:33 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,152,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderRENews View Post
Give thanks he is still by your side.

Take care of each other - its all that counts
InsiderRENews,

You comments resonates strongly with me in our current situation.

Last week I took my husband to the doctor's office to have his severe sciatica checkout and to get some more pain relief medications. I did not know whether he could make it to the car or could tolerate the short 10 minutes car ride to the doctor's office. It was the least of my concern whether we dressed appropriately for the appointment!

I did remember changing from my home sweatpants to a pair of warm and comfortable jeans for the weather and the possible long wait at the office. I neither knew nor remembered whether my husband changed to a pair of jeans or slacks from his lounge pants! I was thankful that his condition had not worsened to the point that I had to dress him. If I did, I certainly would not have changed him to a pair of nice presentable khaki or dress slacks!

Regarding the OP's comment that a pair of khaki pants and button down shirt are as comfortable as her husband's chosen attire, I think she should ask him why he prefers the latter. What is comfortable to one may not work for others both for physical and emotional comfort level. Wearing a tucked in button-down shirt with a belt does not feel the same as wearing a loose T-shirt with an unbuttoned flannel shirt. Then there is the emotional restriction feeling associated with formal work clothes which one had to wear to work for years.

I also think that if his informal attire being clean and not worn out, I doubt that anyone would mistake him for a homeless man! Anyway, beauty or proper attire is ONLY in the eyes of the beholder!

Again, I seconded your great comments especially the one about taking care of each other because it's all that counts.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
I wear 20+ year old clothes all the time, shirts with stains, shorts with holes, scuffed shoes, Levi's with knee holes and when people first see me they always say to me "you must be retired".

Old 01-21-2017, 01:13 PM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
I buy my own clothes, wear what I want and get rid of any of my clothes I no longer need or want. My wife buys her own clothes, wears what she wants and gets rid of any of her clothes she no longer needs or wants. Works for us.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:06 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I think she should ask him why he prefers the latter.
I did. He said because his old favorites are the last ones washed and therefore the closest for him to reach. Actually, he just doesn't think about it too much.

I hope you husband is feeling better soon.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 PM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Someone buys that stuff but it isn't me.

For starters:

No jewelry
No cosmetics
No perfumes
No nail polish or manicures (ordinary nail clippers do just fine)
No dressy clothes whatsoever
Basic underwear, not that tawdry stuff that MEN are fascinated by
No fancy or high-maintenance hair styles
No special brushes or combs, just a plain black Ace pocket comb and a decent bristle brush

I do like to break up the Ivory Soap routine with some naturally-scented handmade soap bars or shampoos, the kind sold in small indie stores. They smell wonderful yet subtle, to me. And because I live in a dry climate, I apply basic skin lotion (ordinary supermarket stuff) every other day, and sometimes colorless lip balm.

Clothes are chosen for both function and (secondarily) appearance, but if they lack function, I don't buy them at ALL.

I totally relate to the OP's husband even though I am female and not an engineer. Practicality, versatility, and comfort win, hands down.
My Dw has skin reactions to many chemicals. So no cosmetics, perfumes, etc. She makes our soaps so she knows what is in them. She wears long straight hair down to her arse, I cut her hair once a year. Nothing fancy, nothing high maintenance. Clothing is functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
OP, your husband sounds like a man who is comfortable with himself, self-assured, and with no need to impress anyone. I'd prefer his type to a dapper man with toupee or dyed hair. Did I say 'dapper'? Ha!
I am not ready for a white beard yet, maybe some day. My Dw's ginger hair is slowly turning grey, but I dye my beard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.