U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 03:27 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have heard the term fashion floated around this thread a lot and I'm not sure it's appropriate but maybe that's just me. To me fashion means being concerned about what is in style, really caring about what you are wearing. This isn't a situation where fashion comes in to play IMO, it's more a matter of common sense.

You do not need to be overly concerned about how your clothes match to understand that showing up in a professional setting such as a doctor or lawyer office requires appropriate clothing. It's just not that big of a deal to understand and be aware of this just as it's obvious that you don't show up at a nice restaurant in a Haynes plain white tee shirt. Again this does not mean you need a tie at the lawyer simply because everyone else has one and this does not mean dressing according to GQ's definition of current fashion. It means using common sense and not showing up looking like a homeless person or a farmer.
Maybe you live on the East Coast where people dress up more? I can't imagine having to dress up to go to the doctor. I can't remember other people doing it either. Nobody dresses up much here. Men don't wear suits. I had to throw out all my fancy work clothes when I moved here in the 80's. I was kind of sad about that, but I looked way out of place.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,740,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

When my wife and I go out we dress appropriately for the occasion, and yes, a sport coat and nice slacks/stylish jeans, and nice shoes goes a long way toward making an attempt to be decently dressed for an evening out. ............
"Appropriate" "nice" "stylish" "nice" "decently dressed"

There we go. That pretty much sums up how some of us view the world differently. When I worked I had to wear a sport coat regardless of the temperature. Now I don't need to meet someone's idea of what is appropriate, nice, stylish, or decent. I go with clean, functional, comfortable and reasonably good condition.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Maybe you live on the East Coast where people dress up more? I can't imagine having to dress up to go to the doctor. I can't remember other people doing it either. Nobody dresses up much here. Men don't wear suits. I had to throw out all my fancy work clothes when I moved here in the 80's. I was kind of sad about that, but I looked way out of place.
I think that is more about urban/rural then East/West. I am on the East Coast.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
InsiderRENews,

You comments resonates strongly with me in our current situation.

Last week I took my husband to the doctor's office to have his severe sciatica checkout and to get some more pain relief medications. I did not know whether he could make it to the car or could tolerate the short 10 minutes car ride to the doctor's office. It was the least of my concern whether we dressed appropriately for the appointment!

I did remember changing from my home sweatpants to a pair of warm and comfortable jeans for the weather and the possible long wait at the office. I neither knew nor remembered whether my husband changed to a pair of jeans or slacks from his lounge pants! I was thankful that his condition had not worsened to the point that I had to dress him. If I did, I certainly would not have changed him to a pair of nice presentable khaki or dress slacks!

Regarding the OP's comment that a pair of khaki pants and button down shirt are as comfortable as her husband's chosen attire, I think she should ask him why he prefers the latter. What is comfortable to one may not work for others both for physical and emotional comfort level. Wearing a tucked in button-down shirt with a belt does not feel the same as wearing a loose T-shirt with an unbuttoned flannel shirt. Then there is the emotional restriction feeling associated with formal work clothes which one had to wear to work for years.

I also think that if his informal attire being clean and not worn out, I doubt that anyone would mistake him for a homeless man! Anyway, beauty or proper attire is ONLY in the eyes of the beholder!

Again, I seconded your great comments especially the one about taking care of each other because it's all that counts.
If your husband has sciatica, have you tried getting him to stop keeping his wallet in his back pocket? Try getting him a pair of cargo pants so he has more options on where to carry things.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,322,018 times
Where I live, battered jeans and carhartts are pretty much a uniform staple. The wealthiest local people I know are rarely seen out and about in anything other than old hoodies and even older jeans. Nothing wrong with wearing clothes to the end of their lifespans, IMO. It's important to be clean, obviously, but plenty of people have better things to worry about and better things to spend money on than an immaculate and/or trendy wardrobe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Because I have to look at my husband. He needs to keep himself in tip top shape for my affection.
Wow.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:42 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,183,124 times
I too wear my keys on a key ring dangling from my belt. I keep the noise down by letting them hang inside my pocket. They don't reach the bottom of the pocket, though so I don't put holes in my pocket, which is why I wear them on my belt in the first place. I too am an engineer, which explains why I look for solutions to problems, like holes in my pockets!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:47 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If your husband has sciatica, have you tried getting him to stop keeping his wallet in his back pocket? Try getting him a pair of cargo pants so he has more options on where to carry things.
His lounge pants have no back pocket ;-) They are the only type of pants that he can wear at the moment.

The sciatica is caused by a back injury. He fell backward on the ice while pulling our plane out of the hangar few years ago. MRI showed a lumbar bulging disc between vertebrae L5 and S1, causing pain in the L5 nerve or S1 spinal nerve. Before Xmas, he re-injured his back. Last time it took 6 months to get better. We are hoping it will be shorter this time. If it does not get better, we will have to consider surgery.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,872,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

It didn't sound like the OP expected him to "dress up" for the Dr. appt. She didn't mention a suit at all. She just wanted him to wear something that didn't look so "ratty" and out of shape, like a homeless person.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,699,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
"Appropriate" "nice" "stylish" "nice" "decently dressed"

There we go. That pretty much sums up how some of us view the world differently. When I worked I had to wear a sport coat regardless of the temperature. Now I don't need to meet someone's idea of what is appropriate, nice, stylish, or decent. I go with clean, functional, comfortable and reasonably good condition.
I think the op would be happy with clean and reasonably good condition.
Which I think should be everyone's minimum goal.

I don't think we need to worry about fashion if we don't care about it.
But we should at least appear to be clean.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It didn't sound like the OP expected him to "dress up" for the Dr. appt. She didn't mention a suit at all. She just wanted him to wear something that didn't look so "ratty" and out of shape, like a homeless person.
You are absolutely right!. "Dressed up" for him would be wingtips, suit and tie and I haven't seen him like this in so many years I can't remember. I know he doesn't have any wingtips and probably got rid of suits a while back. He does have 1 navy sports jacket and 1 camel hair. At least I THINK he still has those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement